Trump butchers Gettysburg history, delivers brain-melting "lecture"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/15/trump-butchers-gettysburg-history-delivers-brain-melting-lecture.html

8 Likes

Rather than the pointless performative debates, we’d be far more informed if we required Presidential candidates to take a 10th grade civics and American history exam on live tv.

30 Likes

Wait, was saving the union supposed to be a good thing? That’s not what I got from the modern GOP’s choice of what to count as heritage.

In conclusion, Gettysburg was a battle of contrasts.

25 Likes

Even that example is still picking the raisins from the rabbit turds.

The larger stream of piss-gibberish:

Pennsylvania’s where our founding fathers declared American independence. So much history. I mean, you have so much history here. Just think of it. It’s where the army weathered its brutal winter… [reference to cold at the event] … It’s where the army weathered his [3] brutal winter at Valley Forge, where General George Washington led his men on a daring mission across the Delaware and where our Union was saved by the immortal heroes at Gettysburg, Gettysburg. What an unbelievable… [pause] … Battle that was the Battle of Gettysburg. What an unbelievable. I mean, it was so much and so interesting and so vicious and horrible and so beautiful in so many different ways it it represented such a big portion of the success of this country. Gettysburg. Wow.

17 Likes

16 Likes

… at Valley Forge, where General George Washington led his men on a daring mission across the Delaware, and where our union was saved by the immortal heroes at Gettysburg

I think Trump probably knows that those were two different wars, but I wouldn’t swear to it. And I certainly think that some of his followers probably don’t.

14 Likes

Hell, I’d settle for “Is the Candidate Smarter than a 5th Grader?” with their winnings going into their campaign coffers.

What grade do you think Trump would pass?

13 Likes

That was the sum of all facts he knows about Pennsylvania.

6 Likes

How they remember it:

11 Likes

Let’s have Trump on celebrity Jeopardy, facing off against Obama and some random 13-year old kid.

I’d watch that.

7 Likes

I honestly can’t imagine him passing a 5th grade exam of any kind. Does it seem likely that he’d be able to identify more than 25 states on a map of the US or multiply three digit numbers or write a three paragraph essay on The Phantom Toolbooth? I know which way I’d bet if my life depended on it.

7 Likes

The best part about that painting is that some of those faces (Bolton, Mattis) are now “the enemy” in Trump World.

11 Likes

And of course, at a speech about Gettysburg in PA, one of his lunkhead supporters is wearing the flag of the bad guys from that war on his hat.

15 Likes

That reminds me – did anyone ask him during which wars George Washington crossing the Delaware and the Battle of Gettysburg took place?

I would be kind of surprised if he knew they took place about 87 years apart during different wars.

9 Likes

They were the bookends of the Bowling Green Massacre, obviously. Such a beautiful battle.

12 Likes

“The score was four to seven, but that was years ago. I never did trust that Lincoln fellow’s math, but what kind of upbringing can you expect from a guy who had four fathers.”

21 Likes

8muuwp

16 Likes

Trump supporters: “Wow, he knows so much about history! Such a complex take on the battle of Gettysburg. Such a genius.”

It’s always been so obvious he never has any idea what he’s talking about. He starts throwing out superlatives to make himself seem knowledgeable, but then he almost always immediately runs into trouble because he starts contradicting himself and saying things that are pretty inappropriate for the subject at hand.

It’s just another way that I become baffled by anyone who claims he’s smart or educated. I’m not sure how disingenuous those claims by his supporters are, though - sure, they’re largely uneducated idiots, but I’m not sure how much of the claim is about Trump being their idea of a smart person, and how much is their recognition that Trump is just like them (and yet he became the most powerful person in the world), and that’s why they like him. Cynically, perhaps, I feel like it’s mostly the latter.

And he’s reading them off the teleprompter.

5 Likes

This pic seems to be implying that the stupidity hurts him. But it never looks like that to me. He glories in his stupidity. We’re the ones on fire because because of it.

2 Likes

Wishful thinking on my part.

7 Likes