Trump CDC tells states to get ready for COVID-19 vaccine by November 1 — just two days before the election

It’s not like this is the only case in which his supporters believe two mutually exclusive things at the same time, of course. I can absolutely see them screaming “it’s a hoax, it’s a hoax!” all the way to the doctor’s office to get a vaccination, but only so they can own the libs. After all, if they have the magic vaccination, they have an even stronger reason to not wear a mask, wash their hands, or take other precautions.

6 Likes

Come on–this isn’t reddit. Can we be a little civil and not call other posters fuckwits for making a typo? Now apologize or you won’t get to play mariokart tonight.

They’re gonna roll out a vaccine on a Sunday? But that’s dRumphs golf day…

It was not a ‘typo’ - the idiot who posted that appears to think that they were saying two different things when they were in fact saying the same thing twice. And if it WAS an error and they did not have the wit to proof read it and check that what they said was what they meant to say, they are indeed an idiot.

ETA and it was not another poster (here) it was some twit on twitter.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s very unlikely they WILL have an actual vaccine by Nov. 1st, in fact the administration keeps moving around the timeline for when a vaccine will be ready. They probably know for certain there WON’T be a vaccine, but need to give the appearance of some kind of victory over COVID to help the campaign.

[ETA: Democrats need to get on record now, particularly Biden and Harris, saying loudly and clearly “Trump is a con-man and this is another con. Mexico didn’t pay for the wall, American jobs weren’t saved, a new GOP health care plan wasn’t created, and a vaccine doesn’t actually exist yet, there won’t be a vaccine until sometime in 2021 at the earliest. Trump announcing a vaccine before the election is a trick to fool us into four more years of incompetence and corruption.”]

15 Likes

Isn’t this mostly about preventing Republican officials in purple districts from throwing Trump under the bus? It keeps them hopeful that he will be able to pull out a win and makes it a risk to endorse Biden if it turns out that they do come up with a vaccine by the election.

3 Likes

I wonder if Trump will make a big thing out his own personal vaccination? That would be a big Presidential Leadership Example, but this is Trump. I wonder if he’ll waffle on getting it? “I don’t need it because I have good genes, the BEST genes. The doctors were amazed, said that they’ve never seen genes like those.”

9 Likes

As @docosc mentioned the mRNA vaccine from Moderna works with a novel mechanism that we don’t have any real safety history to draw upon, so doing proper safety trials is absolutely an important step that can’t be rushed or hand-waived away.

You don’t need to be an anti-vaxxer to recognize that there really were some mistakes made with some vaccine roll-outs in the past. (the link is from the CDC, not some anti-vax site). The reason that modern vaccines are typically so safe is because they’ve got a lot of safety testing behind them prior to rollout, and most are also usually very similar to older vaccines. The less safety testing that’s done, the more likely that another mistake could occur, and due to the massive and unprecedented scale of the rollout it’s more important than ever before to get it right the first time.

8 Likes

That’s been his entire game plan, from the early '80s onward. The Squirrel Doctrine has never failed him.

It’s inevitable that he’s going to blather: "I hear they're calling it the 'Trump vaccine.'" No, Donald, no one but you yourself (and possibly Peter Navarro) are calling it that.

6 Likes

You’re correct that there will be no safe and effective “Trump vaccine,” but that’s only because Trump has nothing to do with vaccine development. The first vaccine to complete Phase III trials is likely to be the Oxford vaccine, developed in the UK and tested there and in Brazil and South Africa. If the UK and the EU are all taking ChAdOx-1, it would be pretty silly to refuse it because Trump’s FDA also approved it.

The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are also undergoing Phase III trials, and while they are being developed in the US their study results will be available to reputable scientists. Whether or not Trump strongarms the FDA into early approval, the transparency of science will go on, and people who listen to scientists will be able to make good decisions about vaccination.

6 Likes

And I agree, if it comes out too soon. We don’t know that it is going to.

The poster I was replying to called it poison simply because it was created in the Trump/CDC push. They said it didn’t matter how long it took, if it came out during a Trump administration, they weren’t taking it.

If he wins, and people continue to feel that way, things could be very very bad. All the poison talk adds to the arguments by anti-vaxxers that people should never take it, ever. The QAnon people think it will be some sort of implanted chip.

“I believe that by the time we get to the end of this calendar year… we will feel comfortable that we do have a safe and effective vaccine,”

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1301118784074403841?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1301118784074403841|twgr^share_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fox23.com%2Fnews%2Ftrending%2Fcoronavirus-fauci-expects-us-will-have-safe-effective-vaccine-by-end-year%2FTPFXMEQU6BAVTKABXINIQCRM2M%2F

Trump is still in at the end of the year, win or lose.

I mean, follow your conscience, and as someone who will be in the earliest groups to get this after it goes live, I can’t say I will feel it is an ideal situation. I will take it though, because without it, this won’t end.

I am truly afraid this fall/winter will show us how badly we need a vaccine.

2 Likes

From what I heard they want the process to distribute the vaccines to be put in place early - so in the next couple months afterwards when a vaccine could be ready, we won’t have to scramble to get them out to the public.

I feel like some of this is political posturing on Trumps end, part really bad headlines by some of the media, and part prudent skepticism.

It seems to me preparing early for distribution is a smart move. Making it sound like a vaccine will be available before it actually will be is a bad thing. But I don’t see that letter saying the vaccine will be ready at or near November 1. It feels like some of this is media spin. Which - not cool. Trump sucks, but let’s not make the situation worse with bad headlines.

From the information I’ve seen, December or January are the realistic earliest time for a publicly available vaccine. I haven’t seen the CDC say otherwise, but I may have missed that. Having the process and infrastructure in place to distribute a vaccine at that time is a good thing.

4 Likes

The tech stock correction started this morning. High-flyer NVDA is down 9%, AMZN is down 5%, S&P 500 down 3.5%, etc.

2 Likes

Most likely this is more hot air for the political reasons.

BUT MARK MY WORDS.

If Trump delivers a vaccine:

1. It will actually cause autism. (Because projection)
  2. His anti-vax followers will bathe in it. (Because death cult)
6 Likes

No, no, you misunderstand, I think - of course he’s a narcissistic sociopath who cares about nothing but himself; that’s a given. He’s demonstrated he’s even willing to kill off members of his base without any qualms, even though their adulation is important to him. I mean after the election he doesn’t even care if he loses their support, because they’re irrelevant to his staying in power (and avoiding the consequences of his actions). As long as he still has some sycophants, some fans, it won’t matter how many of them there are. As long as there are enough of them before the election to keep him in power, he’s willing to sacrifice (just about) all of them in the process.

2 Likes

You know he’s already president now, right?

5 Likes

There is no bottom to hell.

1 Like

Apart from this virus being natural instead of man-made, isn’t this literally the plot for how the fascist government solidified power in V for Vendetta?

2 Likes

Canada has placed orders for four potential vaccines, to get in early. It’s conditional on approval (hence four rather than betting on only one), but apparently if one waits for full results, you’ll be further back in line.

1 Like

This isn’t hell, and I haven’t given up yet.

Have you?

5 Likes