Trump closes out campaign with inspiring, poignant message of hate for Jews

That is extremely vulgar, which fits him perfectly. Also a racist remark. Antisemitic? By implying that Jews are competent accountants? When did he say it?

1 Like

I’m afraid that we’re done here. Trump’s clearly not the only anti-Semite involved in this discussion.

20 Likes

I don’t forget their suffering. Much of their suffering has to do with their willing abandonment of the union movement. They are being abused, by their own bosses and local leaders, not by distant members of some kind of international elite. These poor white folk have always been willing to break a sweat, but ask them to crack a book, and all hell breaks loose.

6 Likes

I found it, it is from “Trumped”. I do not give very much credence to unwitnessed quotes from tell-all books. Accusing me of antisemitism is also very sleazy, and unwarranted.

When initially called on the quote, he didn’t deny it and instead responded that “the stuff O’Donnell wrote about me [in ‘Trumped’] is probably true.” (two years later he would claim it was all fiction, but as we all know that’s par for the course with this grifter).

That quote is what’s known as casual bigotry. The kind of person who thinks that all Jews are good with money usually thinks they’re also adept at swindling non-Jews out of their money (or perhaps closing ranks to deny them bank loans for their classy, really beautiful projects).

It’s similar to some Americans saying that Germans are the best engineers, especially when it comes to munitions and genocide. Whichever race or ethnicity or nationality or gender the target is, this sort of thing is BS stereotyping – something that the Apricot Il Duce has long history of indulging in.

8 Likes

Whatever else you might say about it, your reading:

and coming back with the question:

That’s reflective of you holding anti-Semitic views. Instead of attacking the person pointing it out, you really should spend some time in introspection here, trying to understand what anti-Semitic beliefs are lingering behind that comment, how that comment is anti-Semitic, etc. You’d do well to recognize those better, learn about yourself, and overcome that kind of toxic thinking.

10 Likes

Fine. Then I, as a Jew, will state that you are being antisemitic, and back it up with details:

Ascribing to the “positive stereotype” that Jews are “naturally good with money” is antisemitic.

Attempting to redefine “antisemitism” to mean only “wanting to destroy Israel” is antisemitic.

Attempting to redefine “antisemitism” to not include any threats and attacks and biases experienced by Diasporic Jewry is antisemitic.

Taking the words of a few token Jews, such as Trump’s Kapos, and ignoring the voices of other Jews because you don’t want to listen is antisemitic.

Ignoring extended patterns of antisemitism in order to excuse that antisemitism is antisemitic.

Attempting to redefine antisemitism to exclude antisemitic behavior is antisemitic.

You have done all of these in this thread.

Therefore, you are an antisemite. In just the same way as you are a racist as a result of the pattern of covert racism that you consistently espouse.

And, like @nemomen, I’m done here.

23 Likes

As the token Orthodox Jew here, I guess I’ll finally chime in. I’m not seeing the “antisemitism” here but I did see some regulars invoking some standard hate trope in what I can only assume was a “joking” way.

1 Like

Assuming that you’re referencing the original post, I’m honestly surprised that you managed to miss the pretty blatant dog whistle to the International Jewish Conspiracy believers.

10 Likes

That was my favorite James Bond movie.

Trump is surrounded by people - not only Mnuchin, but his own son in law Jared Kushner - who will have immediately recognized the ad as a shout-out to the Protocols, no ifs ands or buts. I have no idea what they are thinking. Kushner is practically a second campaign manager, so the repeated injection of antisemitic tropes into Trump’s campaign is certainly conscious and intentional.

(For the people on this thread who are probably racist but possibly just ignorant, there is simply no way that the Jews involved with Trump will not see this ad and the others as textbook anti-Semitic. This is stuff you’re taught growing up Jewish in America, regardless of your congregation, though there might be some marginal unworldly sects who don’t dwell on it as much.)

9 Likes

Good for you, I suppose. I still contend that if that quote, from an alleged unwitnessed conversation 30 years ago, does not make Trump an antisemite. I really did expect to find much worse. I have to assume that if it existed, someone would be putting it out there.
As for my beliefs and views, I strongly believe that Jewish culture has consistently led the Israelis and Diaspora to thrive under the most adverse of conditions,including oppression, and attempted genocide. I also support Israel. I did not always, but working there for a summer changed my views. If I was a racist, I would not be covert about it. I am honest about my views. Accusing someone of “covert” racism is a way to accuse them by what you assume they mean, instead of their actual statements.
I am sure that Greenblatt and Fleischer would be thrilled to hear that they have been called Kapos.

1 Like

[quote=“d_r, post:113, topic:88859, full:true”]
I have no idea what they are thinking. Kushner is practically a second campaign manager, so the repeated injection of antisemitic tropes into Trump’s campaign is certainly conscious and intentional.[/quote]

As with certain Weimar-era conservatives, they’re thinking that they’ll be spared the consequences of the movement they helped legitimise due to their personal and business associations with their candidate. Historically speaking, when it comes to right-wing populist movements this is a foolish and often fatal assumption. It is even more so when it comes to Kushner, who doesn’t quite understand that after Tuesday this toxic movement will continue independent of his father-in-law’s influence over it.

7 Likes

Well, now that it has been pointed out to you that Trump’s language is boilerplate from the anti-Semitic handbook, I hope you’ll be honest and thank the posters here for furthering your education, and not just dig in, which would raise serious questions about your intentions.

10 Likes

Um. Wow. So, the only antisemitism is criticism of Israel? Okay then.

8 Likes

No, but the destruction of Israel would not be a particularly pro-Jewish act.

2 Likes

You really need to educate yourself on the history of antisemitism and the myriad ways in which it manifests. The association of Jews and banking is a long standing trope, meant to imply that “THE JEWS” control the monetary system, and hence the world.

You’re coming off as offensive and ignorant on this topic. Please educate yourself, as your statements are problematic, at best.

17 Likes

Criticsm of Israel policy is not antisemitism. Full stop. Israel is a state, which has policies, which can be criticized. You may not be aware of this, but there are plenty of Jewish people who are anti-Zionist. And plenty of pro-Zionists Jews who are still critical of the current Israeli government. Literally NO mainstream American politician supports the destruction of Israel. None. None of them support Hamas, Hezbollah, the Muslim Brotherhood, or Iran. None. That would go against about 60-70 years of American foreign policy.

And NONE of that gets at the fact that Trump associates with known antisemites who invoke antisemitic tropes and stereotypes (even, as @bibliophile20 pointed out, “positive” ones).

[ETA] And let me add that “loving” Israel doesn’t automatically get your pass for antisemitism.

21 Likes

Consider this a GOTV for a specific demographic of Republican.

8 Likes

Considering that his performance at the last two debates could best be described as “anthropomorphic breitbart.com front page”, this kind of thing is absolutely aimed at a very specific subset of the electorate, and they know exactly what they’re doing.

6 Likes

I can’t believe people are so shitty as to pretend that Trump’s use of “International Bankers” isn’t a dogwhistle.

I also refuse to believe that they’re legitimately stupid and not loathsome creatures.

The antisemitism and anti-black dog whistles are many generations old. They existed well before our grandparents’ age.

14 Likes