Trump closes out campaign with inspiring, poignant message of hate for Jews

perhaps the difference in our views is that you are worried about identity politics and subtle dog whistles, where I am more concerned with actual genocide. I understand what you are saying, and I have a pretty good base knowledge of antisemitic history. Your concerns are, IMHO, valid, but the title of the article referenced Trump’s “message of hate for Jews”. What I saw, when I viewed the source material, was criticism of International banking, particularly Goldman Sachs. Not because of any imaginary “International Jewish Conspiracy”, but because Goldman Sachs is a fantastically corrupt institution, one of many. If you read Trump’s whole speech from the Palm Beach event, he places the nexus of corruption not on “the Jews”, but on the Clinton organization.
As for your next comment, I understand and agree that Zionism can be separated from Judaism. But enabling and funding Iranian colonial and military aspirations is a fundamentally anti-Jewish act. The Iranians don’t care about Zionism. They just want to kill all the Jews.
I also agree that some of Trump’s people are truly horrible. it appears that HRC has the same issues, as far as her staff and campaign people. I have just been assuming that campaign people are like that, regardless of affiliation.
I am still not voting for Trump. But not because of Antisemitism. I am glad that soon he will go back to being a reality TV actor who I can ignore. And I do hope that I am wrong about Hillary.
I hope that we can go back to talking about more pleasant subjects very soon.

No, sorry, you don’t get it both ways. If you know this history you know the language was racist.

I see you’ve taken the “digging in” option I mentioned in my post upthread. Shame on you.

13 Likes

Not everything that waddles is a duck even if it sounds like quacking.

I’m not going to let the howling masses decide for me here.

Too bad most of that “criticism” turns out to be even more venomous to Jews than the content of the main post here.

IIRC The recent surveys show this number holding steady among the under 30 set and decreasing everywhere else. The notable exception to the first segment being the 18 and younger who survey as highly Zionist.

These patterns are related. The up to 18 set are almost all Orthodox kids from large Orthodox families who have family in Israel and travel there regularly. The 18-30 set tend to be from Reform families often with only a Jewish father and are usually only children.

Demographic trends are not in favor of the second group here as if they too intermarry their kids won’t even be Jews by current Reform standards andtheir kids won’t even qualify for Right of Return.

Racist Antisemitism doesn’t bother him. Anti-Zionism does. I’m not even snarking here.

Aaaand apparently the same goes here.

I can accept plenty of nuance in the antisemitic/anti-zionist discussion but making excuses for blatant displays of hatred, yeesh.

11 Likes

I saw an awful lot of Asians in there as well. Are they Jewish too?

When you ignore all the data that points away from your preset conclusions, you can make some incredible deductions.

1 Like

I’m gonna guess you aren’t familiar with me. I don’t give out free passes.

An acceptable trade-off with the GOP, then.

Nobody is “deciding” for you so much as shaking our heads at how easily they get away with their antics.

2 Likes

Shake your head all you want. Meanwhile I’ll concern myself more on what I perceive as actual threats to me and mine.

1 Like

I understand Israel-first prioritizations, less so the excuses and shrugs for the Trump campaign’s blatant dogwhistles.

11 Likes

I wish I could just drink. But I’d probably never stop.

1 Like

Others here have already pointed out how each of the named targets are perceived other than as Jews. The folk who will hear any dog whistle already have issues so no actual increase in risk here.

Trump being Trump is not new. The people who actually track actions against Jews have not reported any related uptake since his campaign started.

I’m far less inclined to pearl clutch maneuvers than to excercising caution in conditions where it is actually required.

Except of course the ADL. Perhaps there’s not much Trump-incited antisemitism to be seen where you are, ie not in the US.

9 Likes

Twitter is problematic on its own. Note also the qualifier from that page:

While there has been a significant increase in anti-Semitic behavior since the start of the election season and spikes in activity around key campaign events, ADL’s analysis did not distinguish between anti-Semitic tweets directly motivated by campaign activity and those that may be independent of it.

Fortunately no actual uptick in violence against Jews has tracked with the campaign.

Best comment, at least until the cows shit in the woods.

3 Likes

In addition to that, those of us who are American Jews and online get routine death threats from Trump supporters, who are anticipating Trump, and I quote, “finishing the job that Hitler started.” I’ve personally been doxxed at least once in the last year and a half, getting explicit death threats attached to my address from people who say that Der Trumper will “take the country back from you dirty Jew banks”.

I know that anecdote is not the singular of data, but I gotta call bullshit on the assertion that Trump has not sparked a rise in antisemitism and white supremacy in the US.

14 Likes

This. This is how low things have sunk, when we look back with nostalgia to a time when racism was at worst about “blah people”.

6 Likes

Now you’ve repeated this twice, and decided to deflect my citation to the contrary as unimportant. So, since it is your claim, let’s see the citation supporting the claim.

6 Likes

My grandmother’s nursing home brings in people (or lets people come – hard to tell which) to lead Bible studies. My sister stuck around for one. The guy read a bit, and then said that in biblical time Jews and gentiles would sometimes marry, adding “Today we call offspring of such couples ‘half-breeds’”. I shit you not.

11 Likes

To be fair, the video does not single out Jews. Muslims, Mexicans, Chinese and other groups are also presented in a bad light. And it does zoom in on a black face among the lily white Trump crowd.

1 Like