Trump commands anyone who is not a "Christian conservative" to identify themselves

Ann Coulter, the early years.

6 Likes

I am not a Trump supporter, but you don’t get his supporters, and that’s ok. I’ll attempt to explain what I’ve observed.

Trump supporters come in two camps:

One camp is those traditional Rs that are so narrow-mindledly focused on their hot button issues (e.g., anti-abortion, illegal immigration, anti-Democrat, anti-Hillary, etc) that nothing else matters. Trump is the only minstrel singing their tune, so they have no choice but to vote for him and they just hope he isn’t lying about their particular sacred cow. To this camp, Trump appears only slightly different than Romney, McCain, Bush, Bush, Reagan, and the difference doesn’t matter to them. Their conviction is to their sacred cow and their identity is interwoven with that support. Pity them. (There are many Dems also similarly dedicated to their sacred cows, pity them as well.)

The other camp of Trump supporters are (mostly Republican) cynics. Trump’s naked lies contain a subtext of truth. “Oh look, he’s not even pretending to tell the truth here by virtue of his self-contradiction. How refreshing.” To them, Trump is every lying, self-interested politician they ever supported, only Trump is not even trying to deceive them. These are anti-Hillary people, to be sure. I can only guess they are counting on Congress to reign in executive powers to limit the damage Trump can do.

4 Likes

He’s white, like they are.
He’s rich, like they want to be.
He has fame, which they equate with power, and want to have.
He thinks women are sex objects, not people, which they agree with.
He says black and brown people are the root of all problems, which is what they want to hear.
He claims to not pay taxes, which they think is an unconstitutional govt intrusion and they wish they didn’t have to do.
He claims religion, without feeling the need to understand or practice it, which is what they do.
He’s a blowhard who says whatever he thinks, facts be damned, which is what they have become accustomed to from watching Fox all these years.
He thinks very little, which they associate with because they don’t like thinking either (regardless of education level).

The question is really, why wouldn’t such people like him?

19 Likes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Damn these pompous populists all to hell.

to feel that warm glow of confusion ,that space cadet glow.

2 Likes

I think you’re crediting them with way too much reason.

Everything that happens is God’s will; everything bad that happens is because of immigrants/politicians/Obama/the gays. Trump is an extension of fatalism among a group of unhappy people who need someone to blame for the fact that their lives aren’t going as well as they think they should be.

Speaking as a reformed Anglican, the ‘Christians’ who follow Trump sure don’t display much Christian behaviour.

4 Likes

You forgot, foreigners are the root of all our problems.

1 Like

I’m an atheist and wouldn’t touch trump w/ a stick but I’m kinda against photo-shopping a bible into his hand. Isn’t he a bad enough vision already? feckless slander doesn’t touch him anyway.

You win a gold star! That’s how my entire family thinks. ‘Not Hillary’ and ‘Not a Liberal’ which… in their language sounds disturbingly like a swear word.

Granted I don’t like hillary but it has nothing to do with party and more the fact I’m pretty sure she’ll throw everyone under the bus. THEN AGAIN she might be the best damned president we have beause this is what her every move and moment has led up to. She’s not going to intentionally fuck things up.

11 Likes

How about a radical? Would they consider that to be better or worse than a liberal?

2 Likes

Let me just raise my hand here… No, you know what, I’m going to just raise a single finger…

11 Likes

Wonder if this could touch off a flood of people Tweeting to Trump that they are not christian conservatives.

3 Likes

Did he raise his hand? Because there is no way that he is a Christian Conservative.

9 Likes

Once the baby has been born, it is expected to fend for itself. If it can’t hang on to the tub, well, tough luck.

6 Likes

I play hockey. Take me first, Canadia!

13 Likes

Fascist authoritarian tendencies

1 Like

Perhaps we can share a room? I call top bunk!

6 Likes

♫There’s one in the spotlight, he don’t look right to me…

Get him up against the wall.♫

5 Likes

Strategic voting: The bane of our electoral system.

10 Likes

So far @IronEdithKidd is ahead on points. It may come down to the poutine-eating and butter-tart-baking events.

Cape Breton is looking for immigrants. It’s just as nice as it looks.

There are some requirements, though.

1. Can you wrestle a moose and make love to a log driver? (Or the other way round, I keep getting those mixed up.)

2. Apart from paddling, what can you do in a canoe?

3. A famous American simile is “As American as apple pie”. Complete the phrase, “As Canadian as…”.

12 Likes