Trump declares "national emergency" to get his wall

Someone will need to put together a ‘What I Expected’ and ‘What I Got’ meme.

2 Likes

My understanding is that under the National Emergencies Act of 1976, the House can introduce a joint resolution to terminate the Emergency and basically countermand the President’s declaration with a majority vote. This then puts into action a mandatory Senate vote that either confirms the termination or upholds the emergency declaration. McConnell has to allow this vote to come to the floor and it cannot be filibustered.

Given the tepid reactions being broadcast by a number of GOP Senators, it doesn’t look like Trump has much support in either chamber of Congress. If the Senate approves the joint resolution then Trump will be faced with his first veto which then has a strong chance of being overridden.

This is all outside of whatever legal challenges the national emergency declaration will face in the courts.

16 Likes

I hope they stick to it after the post-NE polls come in. Early in the admin, they came out against stuff…until they realized there was no backlash from their base, and sometimes even voracious support for things they assumed would be vote-killers. Trump is a big, loud, fast firefighter’s pike, just banging away on the second floor of a burning building (do they make two-story dumpsters?), seeing where they can step and how far they can go. Truly an innovator in the realm of American authoritarianism.

6 Likes

Most parasites are invertebrates, just sayin’.

7 Likes

I think this Washington Post article comes really close to the citation you seek.

Edit: Direct Hit.

5 Likes

Hadrian’s Wall was 100% effective. It kept the Mexicans in Scotland out of Britain.

10 Likes

The next round involves a bowing ball dropped by a drone at 1500 feet on a certain someone in the rose garden.

Oh, shit- I’ve said too much.

5 Likes

This is nothing but an empty one-finger gesture. The traitor in chief knows there’s no chance at all that Congress or the courts will let this stand. He’s doing nothing but setting up an excuse so he can whine to his ignorant clod supporters that he couldn’t build the wall because the Democrats were mean to him.

5 Likes

The reason Trump makes these kinds of self-defeating arguments, is because he does not ever want people to think he’s not in control of everything, from start-to-finish. It’s his insecurity about admitting something might be more important or powerful than him.

An emergency is by definition something that is (at least momentarily) out a person’s control.

8 Likes

About 1/3 of the eminent domain litigation initiated the last time a Republican president tried to appropriate a bunch of territory for a border fence is ongoing. Yes, they’ll lose, but Trump won’t get his border wall ‘til long after he is scraped into a casket.

14 Likes

And then jets off to Florida to play golf.

“Nothing says “humanitarian crisis at the southern border” like a round of golf, right?” OrlandoWeekly

20 Likes

Plus whoever was going to get that pork barrel before he stole it from them.

6 Likes

There is rather a lot of California state land that goes right up to the border in both wildlife refuges and state parks. The state should be able to go directly to the 9th Circuit for an injunction.

9 Likes

So the wall will now be made of “quality toilet partitions”?

6 Likes

I think there’s a high likelihood that Trump will want to go to the border to hold a ceremonial groundbreaking / PR stunt to celebrate his wall / folly. I also think and worry that some of those people whose land is being seized by eminent domain may not be willing to wait for a jury box and may jump right to the ammo box.

3 Likes

Another source of litigation is State AG’s

State AG threatens legal action over Trump emergency declaration - MyNorthwest.com?

6 Likes
4 Likes

What kind of a person can make sense of what comes out of this things mouth?
His base, do they listen to this guy?

8 Likes

Such a Trump-style one too, packed with as much of his patented opposite-day hypocrisy as he could fit.

from the Guardian NE explainer:

A president can declare a national emergency under the 1976 National Emergencies Act, which was passed in the aftermath of the Watergate crisis in an attempt to limit, not expand, executive power.

4 Likes

inigo

10 Likes