Trump declares "national emergency" to get his wall

Maybe put up a big “mission accomplished” banner?

Do you think they can drive an aircraft carrier to Arizona?

10 Likes

To hit a target with a bowling ball on the first shot from 1500 feet, you’d have to be Jesus.

12 Likes

Thank you! Or, for those who don’t pay for their news:

Between this and literally singing a song about being sued for declaring an emergency, I kinda don’t feel like Trump really gives a shit.

12 Likes

“Because we have an invasion of drugs, an invasion of gangs,

They keep saying it, but it’s really an expeditionary force of American money that invades and conquers other countries and sends back drugs as tribute.

9 Likes

11 Likes

Knowing this was something we could just do, why didn’t President Obama declare a national emergency immediately after the election results before he left office? I mean, clearly, this was all a national emergency that could have been avoided, had it been declared, right? :thinking:

1 Like

Alternatively, using private tabs that delete cookies when closed gets around a lot of “Only X articles/month” paywalls.

8 Likes

Senioritis?

2 Likes

You’ll never clean up a 7-10 split if you don’t step up to the line and roll.

4 Likes

I’m seeing so many articles talk about this setting a bad precedent. As if narcissist dictators set precedents for lawful presidents, or vice versa. I see two forks on this path. On one fork things Trump did become a sort of anti-precedent where no one would want to be accused of doing anything like Trump. On the other America descends into actual dictatorship. I don’t think he’s setting precedents for anyone.

13 Likes

Trump, who has previously said that he couldn’t give a crap if he raised the deficit, because a future president can deal with it, isn’t the slightest bit concerned about setting any precedents; his attention span is so tiny that he started randomly talking about China in the middle of a sentence of his speech about signing the national emergency paperwork. But this most definitely takes all shackles off future Democratic presidents to declare anything they feel to be urgent or important an “emergency”. It redefines the term.

12 Likes

Once again Trump’s Russian controllers have reason to question both his loyalty and his competence.

Bold talk, there. What exactly do you propose we do? Riot in the streets? Bomb the Capitol Building? Attempt an assassination?

I campaigned and voted for Hillary Clinton and did everything I could within my sphere of influence, both in the real world and on the Internet, but the candidate for whom I voted lost. Part of the social contract in a democracy is accepting the fact my candidate won’t always win, and living with the outcome until the next election rather than taking up arms in a coup and turning the country into an anarchistic free-for-all.

4 Likes

Please don’t address me. We have nothing to say to each other.

7 Likes

Well, future democratic presidents will be in different circumstances. After all, they will likely have the maturity to live with it when they don’t get what they want, so they won’t be able to call their own emotional reaction to being shown up an “emergency”. For Trump, appearing to lose to Pelosi may be one of the most urgent things he has ever experienced.

8 Likes

No, it isn’t.

The “social contract” in a democracy means that you can, and should, disagree with the leader of the country when they make choices that you dislike, find offensive, or actually work toward harming you, your family, your community, your race, or your religion.

When the person who leads the country lost the popular vote and is currently under criminal investigation, and is making choices that are objectively incompetent, I think it’s right for people to question ways to work around them and remove them from office if at all possible.

21 Likes

deep-breathing

8 Likes

Let’s please not get derailed into pedantic debate over words not even mentioned in the article, please.

13 Likes

Good advice, especially when followed up with:

12 Likes

If we could all manage that this world would be a far better place. I admit, it is not always easy and can take some practice but it is worth it.

ETA: that gif is adorable.

7 Likes