Trump "frantic" as lawsuits fail and hopes for legislative coup dim

My working theory is that all these desperate and pathetic straw grasping attempts to overturn the election are just ways to keep Trump occupied while the clock runs out.

Once he believes he has lost he will have 2 months to do a lot of damage. Every day he spends feverishly plotting and hoping for legal salvation is a day he isn’t tearing up treaties, starting wars or otherwise trashing the world.

At this point I sincerely hope the football has been replaced with a toy phone.

2 Likes

“Couldn’t I just nuke Detroit? The votes wouldn’t count then, right?”

4 Likes

Does he want to do a lot of damage or does he want to watch Fox and Friends and play golf? Does he want to spend time salting the earth or does he want to spend his remaining legal thought on staying out of jail and preserving his business? I kind of expect that there won’t be nearly as much destruction as we fear outside of the judicial appointments.

2 Likes

Incompetence can be every bit as destructive as malice. Over 1,500 Americans are dying of Covid-19 every day.

11 Likes

The unfortunate part about that is that Trump’s incompetence will be there whether he works hard at it or not but I’m not sure that incompetence is more destructive than malice. Trump could spend the next two months telling people that the vaccines are a democratic conspiracy or something like that just because he is a vindictive asshole.

2 Likes

Destruction will come in subtle ways. Every resource that Biden’s administration will have to divert from fighting Covid is destruction. For example, Trump’s military drawdowns. Every resource needed to deal with the inevitable problems that will come up in those places is a resource that cannot be devoted to distribution of a vaccine.

Every bit of resistance and drag in cleaning out the nation’s agencies is time lost fighting more important battles. Every racist installed in Border Patrol will demand attention that could have been paid to justice and reducing actual crime elsewhere.

I am not in the maximizing business, but minimization of the damage Trump has done, and is about to do, will not serve us well.

9 Likes

When you:

1. Let an entire aircraft carrier succumb to a plague and do nothing about it;
  2. Insult veterans, Gold Star families, fallen soldiers;
  3. Pardon war criminals;
  4. Cut back on base childcare to build a stupid wall
  5. Enact discriminatory policies against those serving;
  6. Deport veterans;
  7. Attack people willing to serve the military to earn their place here;

People tend to take offense and are not so willing to vote for you, let alone support your illegal coup.
15 Likes

See also: The Law of the Briny Deep

I guess they don’t want to set this precedent any further than it already has been, but why not counter with claims of fraud in, say, ID, AL, OK, WY or ND? “This is a deeply unpopular president and its manifestly obvious that these landslide results could only be due to fraud.”

12 Likes

Why choose when you can have both?

America’s Covid-19 death toll is the result of Trump’s incompetence AND malice!

It’s hard to assign hard numbers to one or the other, but the bottom line is that we’re well on our way to losing more American lives to this pandemic than we lost to four years of World War II. And the pandemic is just one of the ways Trump is continuing to cause harm to the country.

15 Likes

Some interesting ideas on consequences for 45’s actions:

20 Likes

Yup, and mostly for his re-election. Installing DeJoy to sabotage the Post Office went hand-in-hand with doing nothing about Covid to scare normal people to vote by mail, and minimizing it to his followers to vote in person: So that Democratic mail votes would drop into the garbage disposal.

When that was thwarted, he had to go with the old fashioned suppression of Black votes.

18 Likes

And since that didn’t work, he is forced to try to throw out entire counties’ worth of votes, or a state if he could get a foothold.

But he won’t.

There is no end to the vileness that he would like to perpetrate. Until, that is, we collectively END it. This has to end at some point. It’s not going to just keep going forever, mired in his absurd quagmire of ill-logic.

I mean, America is a surprising place to even entertain this circus for the last few weeks. But, at some point, the shit hits the fan and the game is over. You can only flood the zone until the buzzer. When the buzzer buzzes, that’s it. Game over.

9 Likes

In a constitutional crisis the process could meander into this zone

If no candidate for vice president has a majority of the total votes, the Senate, with each senator having one vote, chooses the vice president. The Twelfth Amendment requires the Senate to choose between the candidates with the “two highest numbers” of electoral votes. If multiple individuals are tied for second place, the Senate may consider them all. The Twelfth Amendment introduced a quorum requirement of two-thirds of the whole number of senators

but in today’s environment it seems likely one side or the other would boycott to avoid a quorum

5 Likes

I think that would be very counter productive.

1 Like

Not a factor. Harris received greater than 50% of the vote for VP.

7 Likes

He’s truly scared, as he should be, of ending up in jail. He’s still “Individual 1” and he’s got Cyrus Vance and Letitia James breathing down his neck. He can’t pardon himself or any of the other members of his crime syndicate out of this one.
Apparently, today, he just realized that he won’t have access to AF1 as of January 20. He’s so incredibly lacking in self-awareness that jail cell therapy could last the rest of his unnatural life.

7 Likes

We worked through spring and summer through winter and through fall;

But the mortgage moron worked the hardest and the steadiest of them all;

It worked on night and Sunday, it worked each holiday;

It settled down among us and it never went away

2 Likes

7392066584b4ea4cd9b88b6df986e870

6 Likes

I didn’t say i thought it would succeed- just that I think he will try.

I finally got a chance to watch this, and it might be the most lawyer thing possible to lay out all these ways the system doesn’t elect Donald Trump while pretending that there isn’t irreparable damage done to democracy in the process. The guy literally says a coup can’t happen because the Democrats in the House could not swear in the Republicans and just wait out Biden being sworn in as one of the positive outcomes of our system. If you a reassured that we are fine when both sides have to be perceived as cheating to get people in office, then I hope you have a backup plan.

5 Likes