Trump going all-in on "Kamala suddenly turned Black"

And here’s to where it will end :confetti_ball:

23 Likes
7 Likes

I mean, it is incredibly rare, and all examples required someone straight-up telling him (perhaps multiple times), but every time he says something along the lines of “very few people/no one knows X” it’s clearly because he only just learned it himself. But there’s two things about that:

The first is that it’s always really basic/obvious stuff that most people do know (especially the people he’s talking to*), and someone of his (ostensible) education and social position should know. E.g. I recollect he said something, early in his administration, along the lines of, “Very few people know that South Korea is a major trading partner with the US” and I was confused because who the hell doesn’t know that? and I first realized this was his consistent tell that he himself had just been told something. (And that he had no compunction about displaying - and projecting - his ignorance about basic stuff that a serious politician, much less the actual president should absolutely know.)

The second thing is that just because Trump manages to learn something, it doesn’t mean he remembers it. Witness how, during every trip to the UK, he demonstrates some confusion about the difference between the “UK,” “Great Britain” and “England,” sometimes contextualized as something “no one talks about.” But I think he realizes this is something he really should know, especially since his mother was Scottish, so he’s a bit more restrained in how he talks about it (but he’s very clearly confused himself).

*My favorite is when, in 2017, he was talking about Lincoln to Republican Party donors:

“Great president. Most people don’t even know he was a Republican, right? Does anyone know? A lot of people don’t know that.”

Yeah, I’m sure the people quick to call themselves the “part of Lincoln” didn’t know that. I wonder if Trump has remembered it?

16 Likes

He probably remembers his mother trying to drum it into him hundreds of times but can’t remember what she actually said.

9 Likes

“Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated” is the one that gets me. I know he lived in a bubble where he never had to worry how he was going to pay for his own health insurance. But how do you get to be an adult and not realize it’s a complicated subject.

16 Likes

Mu2Vald

18 Likes

… in that his most incisive critiques were only published after his death? :thinking:

10 Likes

Agreed, but then there was the whole being President and inciting an insurrection between those two events…

3 Likes

well…

…the conversation has now shamefully pivoted into rightwing talking points about Harris’s racial background. Instead of talking about her platform and policies, we are now in a media circus litigating racial purity. The talk was a victory for a Trump campaign that seeks to conquer via constant confusion and deflection

3 Likes

We are? I’m seeing TFG getting panned and laughed at almost universally.

19 Likes

Im just highlighting the opinion on this matter by a black journalist.

e/ what the…?

Yeah, that’s very
tumblr_inline_oteq30EyPy1qiwgw3_400
I mean, did they even see the same thing we did?

5 Likes

Well, as one of the hosts noted during the event, the Black journalist community is not a monolith.

Personally I haven’t seen any serious thought pieces on whether Kamala Harris is “Black enough” published in response to Trump’s brilliant observation about her ancestry. Pretty much all the coverage I’ve seen has been “can you believe this fucking guy?”

14 Likes

There’s certainly more than enough bullshit coming out of merkin von bankrupt and his sycophants. No need to post it here to make us sick to our stomachs.

6 Likes

based on the search results in my edit, thats seems obviously to be the case; Im not sure thats the point…

1 Like

But the author wrote

we are now in a media circus litigating racial purity

…and that clearly isn’t the case. Nobody other than Trump and his closest sycophants is seriously doubting Kamala Harris’ credibilty as a Black woman.

14 Likes

I am sure they did; guess they just saw the outcome very different (edited);

Karen Attiah, who stepped down as co-chair of this year’s NABJ convention in response to Trump’s invitation… Raquel Willis, an author who shared previously that she is boycotting the NABJ, wrote: “Destroyed your organization’s credibility and FOR WHAT?!”

1 Like

If you would kindly refrain from posting as if you were an authority on my community, that would be great.

Again, Black people are not monolithic; we are going to have lots of different perspectives.

Thanks in advance.

13 Likes

For me that continues to be the moment that should have lost him all his support. Nobody knew? Everyone knew that - everyone who made any sort of effort to actually study and address the issue knew that. Which meant he didn’t, at all. It was one thing to start from a position of total ignorance, but he never bothered to even try to educate himself. It was all a sham, he made grand promises while he never had any intention of looking into the issues, much less actually addressing them, and he certainly didn’t have the “easy” solution that he promised he already had. That he also admitted he expected someone to have had the solution in the form of legislation ready and on his desk to sign when he took office also really showed how mind-bogglingly ignorant he was of politics in general. He revealed that he wasn’t actually a serious politician in that moment, but he was a serious liar.

8 Likes

I did?

Again, Black people are not monolithic; we are going to have lots of different perspectives

absolutly. and as it happen to be, I share some opinions on certain matters whith parts of this comunity, despite being a white guy.