Trump having a normal one on Twitter again, lying about the election

Please correct me if I’m wrong but the senate races in Georgia, even if they are headed for run-offs, seem to have been in favour of the republicans by a decent margin. And if the votes cast for the libertarian candidate are redirected to the two main candidates, it seems likely that they would go Republican rather than Democrat.

I’d love to have hope for the senate but I don’t see how it could possibly be won by the Democrats.

1 Like

Most of the fraudulent votes over the past couple of decades have been that sort of thing, and usually for Republicans. Most of the rest of the illegal votes have been misinformed voters or unintentional voting when improperly registered; these run about 50/50 between parties.

9 Likes

If everyone who voted November 3 votes again, you’d be right, but turn out will drop on both sides of the aisle (voters are fucking exhausted). It’s a question of who can limit that drop off the most, and right now I believe Stacey Abrams has a big edge in ground game over the GOP. I think the Dems have a good chance at one or both seats.

19 Likes

Thank you. It seems like people are acting utterly dismissive of just how much work and effort went into getting to where we are this election. This shit doesn’t just happen, it’s made to happen. But it can happen again if we just assume the worse.

21 Likes

Pay attention. Not anymore they don’t. Perdue had a wider margin over Ossoff, but it’s not nearly as wide as it was a decade ago - neither got over 50%, which is why it’s headed to a run off. Warnock had the most votes of any candidate running for the other seat.

Pay attention to what’s happening instead of just assuming that nothing can change down here. That’s how you get entrenched corruption. If you care about this race and don’t live here, send money to one of the organizations fighting to turn voters out, rather than just assume we can’t win here, when we most certainly can.

Not necessarily.

20 Likes

I keep having flashbacks to the 2016 primary race. GOP members trash-talked 45, the fools running against him signed a pledge of support, 45 won, and they all revealed themselves to be hypocrites by reversing their previous statements about him. Those Republican elected officials who were talking about following the process and counting every vote are doing the same heel turn now.

Folks who thought the GOP would abandon 45 to save the organization turned out to be mistaken. Your description of that group is what the MSM should be calling them every day that this continues:

16 Likes

giphy

18 Likes

What are y’all drinking? [buys two]

As someone that grew up in the barely-south – enough to have my License to Y’all, thanks – I’m blown away that Georgia fucking Georgia was not decided within minutes of the polls closing. You’ve done amazing work. No matter what the final result, I cannot believe how close this is. Thank you for the hope that even “sure things” can change in my lifetime. [raises glass]

22 Likes

I did a little (voting, advocating, donating), but people like Abrams have been working on this issue for nearly a decade and it’s not over yet.

Honestly, I think the mistake that people make is that things are this way, and it must have always been so, so we can’t change it. However, things can and do change when people put in the work. Nothing is a “sure thing” if people work for something better.

I just wish more people would get that. :woman_shrugging: It’s really frustrating to have this evidence right here, and yet some are still flogging the same old horse about how the south can’t change. It most certainly can, but it won’t if people don’t think it can.

20 Likes

I am waiting for Dec 14th. Once the Electoral Votes are locked in - we can all breath a sigh of relief. I let out a small one a few days ago, but still worry about somehow these baseless lawsuits doing something, or worse - faithless electors.

But as long as it shakes out to Biden 270 or more on December 14th, it is a done deal legally. It would be so much harder to change any votes from there.

As for making me feel better, Legal Eagle’s analysis of the various lawsuits has made me less anxious.

4 Likes

Yeah, it was a good video to watch. I loved how he called out the “no zero number” answer to “does the GOP have observers in the room?” and the judge slapped the lawyers down with a warning about their bar membership, repeated the question, and they meekly answered “yes.”

9 Likes
7 Likes

Even knowing nothing about it, it had to be close if Georgia had to stop and cough out the Libertarian hairballs before proceeding with the real election.

I can’t imagine the Libertarian slice was that large this year, and yet it was the spoiler.

Could be. Or it could be that thousands of people who had not voted before came out and voted which decided the election. Could be that the reason 65,000 people voted for Jorgensen because they could not stomach Trump and would not have voted for him regardless.

But can we stop acting like this is just about some forces that we have no control over instead of about what it is, that people did the work and got an outcome. It’s really condescending to the people who did that work, doubly so since it was led by Black women.

14 Likes

You’re right that there is no feasible legal way that Trump can retain the presidency at this point. But I just don’t know what happens in our system of government if the GOP stays committed to this course and refuses to recognize Biden’s win as legitimate. What happens if McConnell & the Senate GOP say that they will not confirm any of Biden’s nominees for the judiciary or his cabinet, or refuse to consider any budget presented from the Executive?

When one side of this is willing (and eager) to tear down the system, it’s hard to know what the outcome will be under the rules.

6 Likes

I mean, McConnell is going to do that anyway. He refined the Gingrich playbook to a razor edge and declared war on governance. He spent 100% of his time under Obama making sure as little as possible got done, and he’ll do the same and worse under Biden because Trump Lowered the bar for acceptable behavior. He opened the can of worms by refusing to confirm Obama’s SCOTUS pick because 8 months was too close to an election. He’s made it clear he gives zero fucks about anything but “winning”. Governance is a game with no rules to him.

14 Likes

What I mean is that their hard work to get out the vote brought it up to the point that difference between the Republican and Democratic vote was less than the Libertarian slice. That’s close!

1 Like

And it has nothing to do with the already existing libertarian vote… which was far less than in 2016, BTW:

The libertarians lost voters this year. Whether those voters went for Trump or for Biden, I can’t say, but they took a much smaller slice of the pie this year than in 2016. The democrats took a larger slice of the total of voters than ever before.

We need to stop looking to conservatives to be won over, and focus on people who aren’t voting for one reason or another.

5 Likes

I have seen a quote that boiled down to “no harm in humoring Trump” because they don’t think the baseless lawsuits will pan out. Their refusal to condemn keeps them in the graces of the Trump base.

It makes sense for them. Remember after Obama was elected, the Tea Party arose and that did upset some established Republican legislators. There already are RINO labels for some of them.

That said, it sets a horrible, dangerous precedent.

3 Likes

Warnock received more votes than Loeffler.

4 Likes