Trump having a normal one on Twitter again, lying about the election

9 Likes

You know what’s great, though? No one gives a fuck anymore. Sure, he’s got his base, but finally after years of lies and hatred the media is basically ignoring him. The silence is exquisite.

5 Likes

There are still the Senate runoffs in Georgia and there are several other plays the Dems can make to take the Senate. Once they have even a 50-50 split, they can pass statehood acts for DC and Puerto Rico to expand their majority.

6 Likes
13 Likes

From your lips to jebus’ ears. But I’d sleep better knowing that leadership is hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

I am curious what other options other than Georgia are in play for taking control of the Senate, though?

1 Like

Good article. Thanks for posting. I will donate to Stacey Abrams’ group, Fair Fight.

5 Likes

Richard Burr is caught up in the Senate insider trading scandal. He traded a shit-ton of stocks right after the Senate classified COVID briefing (So did Senators Loeffler, Inhofe, and Feinstein; though Inhofe & Feinstein’s trades seem to have been automatic). A DOJ free of Barr might take that seriously, and a plea deal could be reached in which he resigns. North Carolina has a Dem governor, who would appoint his replacement.

Montana, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Louisiana, Maine, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Kansas all have Dem governors and at least one GOP senator. That’s a big list of senators who could be tempted away from their spot with a juicy cabinet position.

Then there’s all the shit that’s going to fly as the new DOJ digs into 45’s administration. How many GOP senators are going to go down with the ship?

7 Likes

Imo, this is the greatest outcome of this election (ok, evicting trump is #1, but you know what I mean). Georgia voters, and especially black Georgia voters organized by black women, did this in spite of a million voters purged from the roles, in spite of the goon who rigged the last election being the goddamn governor now and in spite of the extraordinary logistical difficulties communities of color face when voting especially in a pandemic. The boost of confidence and agency it will give to people that still face widespread disenfranchisement could be the tipping point that brings this home and change the voting landscape for a generation.

14 Likes

I don’t know who is interested in watching a 90 minute hearing, but this is some good stuff:

Highly recommended, and David Fink is a hell of a good lawyer.

5 Likes

So, on the one hand I’m like “we’re back with the polls then, are we?”

But then, one the other hand I’m more likely to be able to let my mind wander for a while this evening and do something else after reading the take away from your poll. I’d been hearing that horror-movie-rusty-hinge sound in my head for the last 2 days after this poll. We should all get to pick our poll.

1 Like

No do-overs, little Donnie! LOL.

4 Likes

I’m pretty convinced at this point that the MAGA bunch is hoping to incite a civil war.

4 Likes

They should just all meet in Idaho and have a paintball grand melee among themselves and get it out of their systems.

8 Likes

Ah, shug, I’d love to have that kind of confidence, but see I live in South America where you even get to know the different types of coup: we’re in ‘attempt at a self coup’ and its seems to be failing since lunchtime when it was succeeding; one month to go.

Literally this week Evo Morales finally returned to Bolivia after a whole long year of exile after he was ousted in their coup by the racist evangelical right wing who claimed the ‘blue shift’ towards his party when counting more urban areas meant that clearly some hanky panky had gone on.

Bolsonaro still governs Brazil after a soft coup against Dilma and Lula.

Not sure whether a coup or not but yesterday Peru’s congress ousted its centrist moderate president.

One common factor in all this is that the US sends envoys to teach the congresspeople, judges and political leaders on the rancid Latin American Right how to carry out lawfare successfully. So far we’ve depended on the gentleman’s agreement that after McCarthyism, they would no longer do ideological purges inside the country, but …

I meant ‘we’ as in the US (I’m a citizen).

As for shame, yes, all around. When it goes around and when it comes around. But you couldn’t pay me to go live up there in between the rona and the gated community guerrillas, not even for the deep fried sushi they had last time I returned there for a visit.

The little dig I read in there about 'tried doing something about it?´ makes me think you might have mistaken my comment to be other than an expression of how getting familiar with the way these things go is making me unhealthily anxious about what I’m seeing in the US from a little distance. l will show some pride though and throw down that where I ‘try doing something’ we have universal free healthcare, even for undocumented immigrants, plus an obamacare system for greater ease for those with steady employment, my stepkid goes to the free public university so I never had to worry about that and it will remain free until she’s got a freaking PHD if she gets that far. We’ve had equal marriage for over a decade with adoption and every other right and are in the top three of most progressive gender identity laws on planet earth (where that public health is required to cover medical interventions when the individual chooses to transition that way). Congress has a gender parity law and recently the government set a required minimum percentile for all public hiring to go to Trans people (a quota). Covid relief payments have been monthly for millions of citizens since early on in the pandemic and everyone has to wear a mask in public by law since the very start. And this is us just recently starting to come back after a 4 year term of a disastrous right wing president who we voted back out with the resounding margin Biden was supposed to get but didn’t.

This is why I know that Georgia is in a great position to build on this momentum and break out. I’m still a citizen so perfectly allowed to donate and will.

Bonus: the old joke goes “How come the USA has never suffered a coup?” / “Because there’s no US embassy there to start one!” (badum boom boom)

It’s evenly divided and has been deadlocked for many years. A friend who used to work there said they rarely prosecute anyone.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.