Trump hospitalized with Covid symptoms

8 Likes

Hmm. Good question. He would no longer be VP, but would be allowed to immediately appoint one. Same difference, really.

2 Likes

47 Likes

I see what you did there. Well done!
OTOH, if it is a typo, neither change it, nor admit it…

6 Likes

There are articles and information covering some of your questions here, since it’s easier to search within a topic:

7 Likes

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

The President can nominate a candidate, but they have to be approved by the House and the Senate. If the Democrats object to the nominee, the post would stay vacant. Next in line for succession: the Speaker of the House. Wait and hope for a twofer?

7 Likes

Yes, good point. That would be something, wouldn’t it?

ETA: However, I realized my above math relies on Murkowski and Collins actually voting “no” as opposed to “present”. But I believe the Senate now requires a simple majority of all Senators, not just a majority vote. That would mean with 2 abstentions and one Kelly “no” vote, they only get to 50 without a sympathetic VP. I think?

2 Likes

And that person doesn’t have to be approved by the House and the Senate?

4 Likes

Aah. Remember when conspiracy theories were just mostly harmless pop culture obsessions? Those were the days.

5 Likes

Basically life imitating a West Wing story arc at this point: Democratic President invokes the 25th to remove himself from power (daughter is kidnapped and he can’t execute sound judgment), there’s no VP because they had previously resigned in disgrace, so the Republican Speaker takes over.

Interesting detail: the Speaker has to resign from Congress because it would by illegal to serve two offices at once.

5 Likes

Let’s just say he’s lucky they didn’t take him to Alabama. From the article below:

“Alabama also weighs the value of the patient’s life in deciding who gets access to a ventilator. For example, patients with mental retardation or dementia are excluded from ventilators when there is a shortage. Patients with a variety of other diseases, including cancer and heart disease, also may be barred. Significantly, “age-based” survival criteria are a decision-making factor.

Them’s yer death panels, rightchair.

ETA: In other news, I’ve apparently found a new blog to spend too much time doomscrolling on.

25 Likes

No, and the Democrats get to choose a new Speaker, first in line again.

6 Likes

Seriously though.

14 Likes

37 Likes
8 Likes

No, Trump making everything a con and a grift, then lying about it, then being proven as a liar, then the press saying :man_shrugging: on to the next thing means that you might as well speculate about what this grift will be, because the press can’t be fucked.

7 Likes

What is truly amazing is the scoffers and deniers manage to get treatment protocols that are impossibly expensive or unobtainable by the majority of Americans who are actually observing the recommended safety protocols. Another example of iniquity by the undeserving entitled. Flush the swamp and vote them out!

11 Likes

Ah, To dream the impossible dream! To fight the unbeatable foe!

12 Likes

Notable mention Kathleen Wynne, Ontario Premier beneficiary incumbent when McGuinty ran away from office, and she won the next election.

4 Likes

Also from that thread:

Hmmm…

9 Likes