Trump impeachment heads to Senate, but

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/19/trump-impeachment-heads-to-sen.html

2 Likes

Florida Man Impeached

32 Likes
14 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/yep-smart-move

Pelosi’s playing hardball
by digby

5 Likes

Orange Man Impeached

4 Likes

Given the inevitable outcome of a speedy trial, I would be perfectly fine with pausing this the way that supreme court seat was paused… “let the people decide”. The senate might look more “fair and balanced” after the November elections, after all.

15 Likes

Former Pizza Hut Spokesperson Impeached

7 Likes

Our fate? There’s no way in hell the Senate will follow through and find him guilty in a trial. Our fate was sealed when the horrible orange shit-gibbon was elected to office. He was a grifter going in. He’s had toadies standing with him no matter what, including Mitch. And even if through some miracle Trump was excised, all of the damage that put him there and kept him there this long will still be there. America’s fate has been fucked for a long time now.

19 Likes

A late #ImpeachmentDay gift!

We have reserved judgment on Mr. Trump for years now. Some have criticized us for our reserve. But when it comes to condemning the behavior of another, patient charity must come first. So we have done our best to give evangelical Trump supporters their due, to try to understand their point of view, to see the prudential nature of so many political decisions they have made regarding Mr. Trump. To use an old cliché, it’s time to call a spade a spade, to say that no matter how many hands we win in this political poker game, we are playing with a stacked deck of gross immorality and ethical incompetence. And just when we think it’s time to push all our chips to the center of the table, that’s when the whole game will come crashing down. It will crash down on the reputation of evangelical religion and on the world’s understanding of the gospel. And it will come crashing down on a nation of men and women whose welfare is also our concern.

The whole thing is worth reading. It is breathtaking.

22 Likes

I’m fine with waiting a few weeks. We all know that the Senate Republicans will act in bad faith (mainly because they all but admitted it), and that they’d rather have a speedy trial right now that would be forgotten in the holiday doldrums. Starting off election year 2020 by making Il Douche’s corruption and the GOP’s enabling behaviour the main political story is the better move.

19 Likes

Did they not realize that Pelosi can hold it up indefinitely?

Not that pretty much anything that happens makes much difference to their base. Whatever their leaders bleat, shout or snort, it just gets lapped up like Manna-truth from Heaven.

12 Likes

giphy

20 Likes

I appreciate whatever this article most likely says, but please don’t link to something I then have to sign up and pay for to read.

2 Likes

I get not wanting to judge someone out-of-hand, or prematurely. Turn the other cheek and all that. But this wasn’t an unknown man rising to power. He has been shitty for a lifetime. It’s nice that they may finally be seeing him for what he is, but I think they could have done it years ago and their God would have approved.

8 Likes

Summary:

13 Likes
19 Likes

Huh. Well, God bless us, everyone.

2 Likes

For context Christianity Today was founded by Billy Graham. There is no publication more respected in the American Evangelical movement.

Pity they didn’t speak up earlier, before “Trump” usurped “Jesus” in terms of which figure most American Evangelicals now feel the strongest fealty to.

18 Likes

After the House votes to Impeach on 2 Articles,
Nancy Pelosi packs up the Articles to pass them on to the Senate…
best trick|nullxnull

/gif shamelessly stolen from an old BoingBoing post…

17 Likes

Thank you for sharing that!

3 Likes