Trump is back, repeatedly calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas"

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Elizabeth Warren’s Ancestry

He’s probably trying to apply his racial legal theory to Congress. Anyone who votes against his policies should be disqualified if he’s ever insulted them. Anyone with Mexican ancestry. Anyone with aboriginal-American ancestry. Anyone with Arab ancestry. Women, or anyone with a female ancestor. Muslims. Democrats. Etc.

8 Likes

I don’t believe it.

Supposedly that’s the story his surrogates were telling the various party insiders to help quell their fears and get the rest of the GOP to fall in line behind him. At least we have the consolation of knowing they are the first ones to get burned by Trump’s broken promises.

5 Likes

Needs more orange:

Pssh. Drumph was never that hot!

*lolz

4 Likes

So if he referred to her as “the Indian” with air quotes (indicating he didn’t think she was really native) would that be racist?

You could even look at it as implying that Warren thinks she’s some stereotyped Indian Princess, ie “she thinks she’s Pocahontas” saying a) she’d not native and b) her version of aboriginal is from a Disney cartoon.

Then this would be an exception to the textbook definition, the specific denigration is the claim that the ethnic term doesn’t apply to her. I don’t see how insulting someone for being not native is racist towards natives.

1 Like

Bigoted?

Yes.

Because he’s using it as an aspersion, either way.

On top of all his other inflammatory and bigoted rhetoric, that he’s now known for?

Yes.

21 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Elizabeth Warren’s Ancestry

So far I haven’t heard him make fun of the Polish, so that’s been a surprising breath of fresh air.

5 Likes

Yes, because

• Even if her family’s oral accounts are accurate she’d be only 1/32 Native American ancestry and she never claimed to self-identify as anything other than white.
  • “Indian” is largely considered a dismissive and outdated term for white people to use when referring to Native American/Indigenous populations. It’s not quite the same as saying “The Negro” but it’s on its way there.
19 Likes

Are these supposedly racist too? #trump2016

Fear not, I’m well aware of the nautical reference to boiler pressure.

And it was, as robertmckenna speculates, a (weak) play on psychology/literature and sanitary engineering.

The usual jokes are so far out of date that most people would think he was referring to fish.

2 Likes

In the end, even name calling is a battle of wits. The usual conclusions follow.

You have to wait in line for your wall.

7 Likes

Calling her “Pocahontas” doesn’t do that. Pocahontas didn’t make a false claim as to her ancestry. Calling her Pocahontas is saying that she is what she claims to be, and that this makes her worthy of scorn.

This is the case regardless of what Trump meant to do.

11 Likes

Well if he’s in that much of a hurry he could save himself another syllable and just say “redskin.” Or even cut it down to one by using “squaw,” which has the added benefit of invoking Warren’s gender. Economical!

10 Likes

Australia checking in. I want to be abused by Trump too.

7 Likes

Haitians.

There are way better kinks out there to be into… but you know whatever makes you happy.

13 Likes