Trump is back, repeatedly calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas"

It became an issue, spontaneously. No-one made it a campaign issue, no way any ratfucker would do that.

7 Likes

Sounds like you’re giving a pass to Elizabeth Warren while ignoring the facts and context. Warren repeatedly claimed to have 1/32 Cherokee blood, she told a story about her parents having to elope because of racism - and on. But, solid genealogical and historical research debunked these claims. And, obviously, there’s lots more to it - but, if folks are uninterested in the history of matters, then, well, carry on expressing opinions in wilful ignorance of same.

Given that in this instance there’s at least some case to be made that it’s racist, the crowd’s response was certainly racist, and the guy’s a racist, if there’s some undecided out there that’s gullible enough for this to the the straw that breaks the camel’s back and the rest of the ocean of racist crap that spills from the guy is ignored, they’re a moron and there’s no predicting what they’re going to decide nor a substantive argument that’s going to matter more than a shallow one. I also have yet to see see a well argued, rational argument coming from Trump backer, TBH, and I’m in a political discussion forum with lefties and Trump backers discussing the topic. If people are getting their views from the comments on BB to debate somewhere else to decide on the election we’re all hosed anyway (most people here are great, and often bring great points to the discussion, but board comments are still no way to ultimately ground your understanding of the issues for an election).

3 Likes

The folks I know often use “NA’s” (though I suspect that that’s just a shortened form because Native American seems more formal, and is a pain, especially when you’re talking about a subject where you’re going to have to say it every sentence or so). I’ve also seen “NDN”, which is obviously just “indian” shortened, and I’ve only seen it in context where the consumptive audience is going to largely be “NDN”.

1 Like

The Greeks. Trump has not insulted Greek-Americans yet. So, we’re still standing strong.

4 Likes

I don’t see anyone giving Elizabeth Warren a pass. But I also don’t think whether or not she is actually of NA ancestry is relevant. Fact: Donald Trump used “Indian” and “Pocahontas” as pejoratives, as insults to his opponent. Some of us feel that is inappropriate, and yes, racist. I cannot conceive of any way using someone’s ethnic background could ever be an appropriate insult. It doesn’t matter whether or not the person is in fact of that heritage. Trump is implying that being Native American, or Mexican, or Muslim, is a bad thing, worthy of shame and ridicule. That’s racist. Period.

Now if he wanted to call her a liar over the issue of her claimed ancestry, fine. That would be an entirely different issue. But then all he’d need to do is say “liar.”

12 Likes

He hasn’t said anything about the Maltese or Maltese - Americans yet. Though that would be a very bad idea-- we have fierce tempers. :imp:

9 Likes

I’ve yet to hear anything about people of mixed Jewish, German, Swedish, English, Irish, Scottish, Portuguese, and Belgian heritage. That too would be a bad idea, we’re snarky.

6 Likes

I’m of Maltese, Polish, Austrian, and one-quarter unknown ancestry. I’m not sure what he could say about us Heinz-57s. Though I’m sure he’d come up with something. :worried:

5 Likes

Yes. Last thing you’d want to do is make a Maltese, errm, cross…

Sorry. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

No offense taken. I laughed out loud when I read it. Good one!

4 Likes

The poster to whom I was replying said this: "I never saw anything about Warren claiming to be Cherokee, I saw her claiming to have a Cherokee ancestor, a claim based on a family history. ‘Trying to find people like her’ likely referred to having primarily European ancestry but having a hint of native ancestry that she wanted to explore.

That a single genealogist apparently couldn’t find evidence is at worst evidence that her family history was wrong, I hardly see how that makes Warren a target of criticism.

If she really wanted she could get a DNA test to clear it up, but she’s under no obligation and DNA tests can open completely unrelated bags of worms that most people are uninterested in opening.

Elizabeth Warren heard she had a native great grandfather, that might be wrong, it doesn’t really matter."

On this point - it IS giving a pass to Warren to recite the false narrative which does not in any real or true sense reflect what she has actually falsely claimed over the years, nor does it even consider why her false claims may be offensive to a genuine Cherokee citizen. My purpose was to note that there is extensive, high quality, original research that’s been done on this topic.

Needs some pink around the eyes…

2 Likes

For all those who feel neglected, rest assured that Drumpf has you covered…
#LOSERS!!!

9 Likes

You replied to me but didn’t address a single thing I said. So: do you or do you not feel it is acceptable to insult someone by using ethnic terminology?

11 Likes

This is off topic. Regardless of whether someone identifies rightly or wrongly as Cherokee, racist attacks aren’t okay.

14 Likes

“What kid asks their grandparents for legal documentation to go along with their family stories?” – Elizabeth Warren

12 Likes

It’s just as wrong to say someone doesn’t look like a particular ethnicity so they can’t be a member of that population as it is to say that they look a certain way so they must be a member of that population. Phenotype is not genotype.

13 Likes

It turns out that Maltesers are not made out of real Maltese.

I feel cheated.

13 Likes

Pocahontas was Powhatan, not Cherokee. But they’re all the same, right? No reason to be accurate about THOSE people.

20 Likes