Trump is back, repeatedly calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas"

Don’t; you’re not missing anything, at least in my experience.

I dated a Maltese man once; he was surprisingly bland.

:wink:

4 Likes

This isn’t about Warren. This is about Trump and his racist references to people.

12 Likes

Not a bad 'shop, but the hands are too big.

10 Likes

Is this about Trump? I think it should be about the popularity of his racist comments.

And how half this country, in a race between Hitler and Trump, looks like it would probably vote Hitler.

2 Likes

I think that around these parts, all of that is just pretty much a given.

8 Likes

Don’t be a…

1 Like

History lesson. I don’t remember 100% of the specifics, and the NYT blog entry gets some details wrong, but iirc she had been called out on her supposed Native American ancestry thanks to Harvard claiming her as a native American woman of color, and eventually rebutted at some point with her contribution of a fry bread recipe to a cookbook. The right-wingers somewhat quickly honed in on the offensive “Pocahontas”

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/elizabeth-warrens-birther-moment/?_r=0

The blog entry gets it wrong about tribal membership; the Eastern Band doesn’t take adults, you have to be at least 1/16th Cherokee through an ancestor on the Baker rolls, while the Cherokee Nation requires an ancestor on the Dawes Rolls. I’m guessing Elizabeth Warren has neither…

…but we have to ask ourselves if it matters right here, right now. Should we get in a pissing match about whether she’s more wrong to appropriate Native American culture, or whether Donald Trump is wrong? Is she wrong to appropriate that culture? I’m going to be in Cherokee, NC soon, and I guarantee you there will be businesses run by people who look no more native than I do, who meet the requirements. But none of that changes the fact that Donald Trump is using “Pocahontas” as a slur, of course. The guy’s being gross about it. He’s got about as much class as a, well, a Don. It’s amazing to me that he’s calling her Pocahontas in one breath, and “very racist” in the next.

And it doesn’t change that she didn’t claim minority status when she was running for office.

11 Likes

No, it’s a very well funded elementary school playground with rich daddies around the outside screaming “take him out!”

This is how most elections at national level seem to be these days, all over the developed world with the possible exception of Japan and Germany. I blame social media, which gives abusive narcissists so much scope.

1 Like

You’re just boasting now. “I’m a typical European!”

1 Like

So. You’re saying trump is racist?

2 Likes

It sounds as if he was a Mel-teaser.

5 Likes

Live by racist-asshole shtick, die by the shtick

He never said of which country

2 Likes

He did hire a bunch of undocumented Polish immigrants to build Trump tower, and then failed to pay them the $4/hour they were promised. I find that offensive.

10 Likes

You’re defending an adult male human, and one that claims to be qualified to run a country, for mocking a distinguished legislator’s heritage?

Step back and think about what you’re saying.

7 Likes

Do you want to be disappointed with BoingBoing?

Because that’s how you get disappointed with BoingBoing

1 Like

Looks like the Luck Dragon woke up a bit peckish…

11 Likes

9 Likes