Trump: "Look at my African-American over here, look at him"

Have you met your friend’s wife’s uncle yet?

11 Likes

(Hi milliefink, I always enjoy your stuff!)

I was making a rather silly joke based on the (admittedly loose) parallel between Trump’s “Look at my African-American over here, look at him” and Corey’s numerous articles titled “Just look at this (insert random thing each week made out of banana)… just look at it!” The link I included was a compendium of those articles. As to why Corey does that to begin with, either there’s no distinct reason or I wasn’t around when that train left the station; but I find his banana thing cute in a performance art kind of way.

I made a similarly obtuse comment sometime ago about an article on boingboing covering violence at a KKK rally somewhere in Anaheim. In my response, I said that if it only it had happened in the Haunted Mansion, and the weapons had been bananas, then it would have registered a 10 on the boingboing-meter (the haunted house being another fave of Corey’s) (and of mine). (For that matter I also love bananas, but my passions about them run towards the consuming rather than the beholding.)

Anyway… long answer to a question that maybe in some sense has no truly meaningful answer. If you wanted to know if I go off the rails sometimes: yes, yes I do. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Maybe Trump paid for that guy to be there.

8 Likes

He was this close to referring to him as a “strapping young buck”.

13 Likes

Wordeth.

1 Like

I realize George Wallace had renounced his segregationist agenda by the time he was interviewed for Four Little Girls (1997), but I can’t forget this clip of Wallace literally, straight-forwardly saying his best friend is a black person. I assume Eddie was some kind of assistant. Even Wallace knew better than to call him “my” man.

http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/MRobinson/clips/four-little-girls-george-wallace.mp4/view

2 Likes

47 comments so far and no one’s made a “Donald doesn’t have a Klu” joke?

Does it bother anyone else here that Trump keeps saying “Klu Klux Klan?” Come on, man! At least have the courtesy to learn the correct name of a group who’s thrown their support behind you!

13 Likes

whaaaaa?

Whereas a white conservative can reflect on the devastating legacy of slavery without the faintest twinge of guilt, shame, collective regret or self-awareness.

Or better yet not acknowledge that legacy at all.

8 Likes

My mind jumped to the same thing @SomeDude 's did here on seeing the title. And then from there to a Freud reference: “sometimes a banana is just a banana”.

Though the only relevant hit I get on trying to google that is a transcript of an SNL skit I don’t think I ever saw, so who knows where that second jump came from. Oh well.

tl/dr: A dumb joke.

There have been slurs for every ethnicity, creed, sex, orientation and phenotype since the dawn of civilization.

8 Likes

I am too. It’s really inconvenient when the country you live in loses its damn mind around you. I’ve got things in progress, I don’t have time to relocate in protest this year.

And I keep wanting to believe sanity will win-out, that Hillary will take Trump to pieces in the first real debate, that the racist, misogynist, idiotic crowd will have to eat their hats come election day.

And then I keep remembering… they elected Dubya twice. THEY ELECTED DUBYA TWICE.

14 Likes

Man, that’s like being thrown out of Fight Club for knowing what not to talk about.

[/pausing to unravel that analogy and make sure it makes sense]

9 Likes

I want that T-Shirt!

6 Likes

13 Likes

Next thing you know he’ll be calling President Obama a “light-skinned’ African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.”

Was this the same rally where Trump had ‘Ride of the Valkyries’ playing while he appeared?
I’m guessing that searchlights will feature prominently at the Republican Party Congress.

7 Likes

17 Likes

Wondering when we’ll get a minority trump supporter that’s like rabidly pro-trump… like that one woman in tenessee is pro trump and being the poster child for ‘see he’s not a mysoganystic dickbag! women like him!’

Honey, that’s the stockholm syndrome talking. Seek help. Pleas. You don’t have to stay in the relationship.

5 Likes

http://www.diamondandsilkinc.com/

1 Like