Trump meets with tech leaders: Apple, Facebook, Google, Amazon, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, Tesla, Intel

You can’t get on the Internet without going through or using Google? Weird.

I’m on the Internet, normally, though a Comcast connection on either a Linux or OS X machine running Firefox to browse the web, Thunderbird to read my email, and SSH, etc. from a command line to get to other things. If I want to search, I can use Google but there is also Duckduckgo, Bing, and other options.

Your statement seems a tad hyperbolic.

5 Likes

Baron Barron seems more appropriate (don’t forget about lil’ Barron!)

2 Likes

It’s the opposite of direct: it translates to “my friends, family and associates of any sorts will make demands and you will satisfy them as you would satisfy me.” It’s an extension of his authority that is intentionally vague and designed to keep others on their toes: “I will be around you even when I’m not talking to you”.

Standard “populist dictator” fare.

14 Likes

Tump does know that Twitter could simply ban him, right?

1 Like

I am already thinking of Ivanka as the Czarina.

6 Likes

Yeah but Twitter is the most financially-unsound company of the lot, the next Yahoo, more likely to crash and burn in 5 years than it is to turn a profit; civil resistance ain’t gonna pay the bills, and an unscrupulous POTUS can do some pretty shady things. Think what would happen if Trump leaned on his AG to slap a sequence of wide-ranging National Security Letters on Twitter, then leaked it to the press - completely nuking Dorsey’s credibility and provoking a run to friendlier alternatives. Twitter is in a big hole already, eventually they will have to broker a peace with Trump; the more they distance themselves now, the more humiliating the climbdown will be.

Apple, on the other hand, have more money than God and shouldn’t have been there; but they are also kings of doublespeak and cognitive dissonance, so… Google/Alphabet are BFF with US intelligence, they will keep serving the new master, no surprise. Musk and Thiel are sons of Nietzsche and Rand, they will get on with Blondie like a house on fire. Bezos would sell his mother in order to grow revenue, but he’s also a powerful editor; he’s probably the only one who can resist Trump’s demands, but he’s also very unlikely to actually do it. Nadella represents everything Trump publicly rejects, but MS is also full of old-hand corporatists who can happily play around in rooms full of Exxon execs; they are also pretty uncool, I don’t think The Donald will bother them at all.

7 Likes

Not hyperbolic; alphabet provides many, many commercial servers, web services and at least some of the higher speed portions of the continental, inland backbone.

This means your data stream has/will be inspected by the company or it’s subsidiaries just about every time you log into your “last mile” ISP unless you use heavily encrypted communications and put serious effort into concealing your IP.

1 Like

Newsflash: your ISP does this too and it is probably a huge corporation

Also standard abuser fare. Keep 'em guessing as to what will invoke wrath. Alternate charm with random vindictiveness, and make the victims utterly dependent on the abuser, denying them access to allies.

5 Likes

My favorite take on this -

4 Likes

Tump does know that Twitter could simply ban him, right?

It would be Twitter’s downfall, with millions of Trumpians boycotting them. Trump has Twitter by the balls.

Ha. Let them all boycott. So what if they do? What do you think would happen to twitter and it’s hundred plus million userbase? Nothing.

3 Likes

And that is bad because?

4 Likes

Would it not be bad for Twitter if millions of users would boycot them?

[quote=“Old, post:33, topic:91171”]
Alex Karp
[/quote]I don’t even know who he is. :frowning:

2 Likes

Nothing, except, Twitter would miss millions in ad revenue.

“Elect” half-dead figure head…

…get ruled by entire brood as he fades

1 Like

Baron Barron

2 Likes

Hasn’t Ford’s CEO already been trying to cosy up to him? (something I think I saw on Jalopnik, but TBH, I only read the Torchinsky articles and Nice Price Or Crackpipe)

1 Like

Jesus Chtist on a JATO-boosted pogo stick, of course! They’re the fucking Harkonnens!

6 Likes