Trump "Obese"

Oz said that? What a schmuck.

6 Likes

At that height:weight ratio, you are right at the ‘underweight’ boundary by most medical definitions. That’s often worse than being slightly overweight. Hope you’ve put some meat on your bones since then.

ETA: Not talking from on high, by the way. I’ve been there. I’m 6’1" and a mixed episode several years ago whittled me down to 145.

6 Likes

Yes, the First Amendment is basically the right to free speech without repercussion from the government.

It is not the right to be an offensive dickhead with full immunity from any consequences and repercussions of what you say.

Kindly go back to ignoring me now, please; I’m not in the best of moods.

16 Likes

Must have been juicin’ with his buddy Vinnie Mac again.

2 Likes
15 Likes

Oz is both a terrible doctor and a terrible person.

15 Likes

If they don’t survive heart surgery, at least he can ask them what went wrong

2 Likes

If you were a teenage girl in the 1980’s, you wouldn’t find propensity to gain muscle mass easily to be “privilege”. :unamused:

13 Likes

This is why I find nungesser’s anecdote so troubling. BMI is a cheap, relatively noninvasive screening mechanism that lets patients, nurses, and doctors know that more expensive and reliable tests may be warranted. It’s not an end game in itself.

2 Likes

If you have time for a long read, Michael Specter wrote a great profile of Oz for The New Yorker a few years back. Here’s a snippet:

[Oz] loved the surgical life and clearly still does. I accompanied him into the operating room one morning this winter and watched as he rebuilt a woman’s malfunctioning mitral valve. The surgery lasted five hours. Oz had come directly from an appearance on the “Today” show wearing a pin-striped suit over a pale-lavender shirt, its top two buttons open. When he arrived at New York-Presbyterian, he raced to his office and changed into scrubs.

[…]

"Let me explain why surgeons are assholes,” [Oz] said. “Surgery is controlled arrogance. You think you can take a knife to someone’s chest and help him. Who thinks that way? Certainly no normal person. You need that confidence, that certainty to do it.”

1 Like

Holy shit! That would be morbidly obese on me, and I’m 6 1/2 feet tall.

It’s the second coming of William Howard Taft.

1 Like

Quick, someone get Chris Christie (my illustrious governor) to stand next to him again.

5 Likes

Nope, for you just regular obese (BMI = 31). Morbid obesity at your height is 345 pounds.

If only Master Li were in the race.

“My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao and I have a slight flaw in my character. This is my esteemed client, Number Ten Ox, who is about to hit you over the head with a blunt object.”

• Master Li
2 Likes

Poor Taft. He was an accomplished statesman who remains the only person in history to serve as both US President and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, but most people just remember him for the fat jokes.

Still, that’s probably a better legacy than what Trump will be remembered for.

16 Likes

And the lightswitches. And that he drove Teddy Roosevelt to try for a third term.

2 Likes

I remember reading that a few years ago. The fact that in his practice he’s apparently a perfectly competent doctor who goes on TV to peddle snake oil and quack cures that by virtue of his training he must know are completely ineffective is what makes him so loathsome.

My wife gets injections in her neck/spine every 90s days or so and in the waiting room for some reason used to have his horror show on pretty often, and I always am amazed at how much quackery he’s so perfectly comfortable to use his credentials to peddle for some cash. (I found a spot around the corner and bring headphones now.)

11 Likes

The Oz quote used to conclude that profile really says it all. He found a career in medicine but only much later did he find his calling and passion. And it wasn’t surgery.

2 Likes

Can I just pretend to be John Oliver for 10 min?

1 Like

He got stuck in a bath tub. I remember that from some fun fact book.

Also, thought of how Trump can spin this: Trump is just packing on the pounds that Illegal Immigrants are too lazy to pack on.

1 Like