Trump "Obese"

Can confirm. I went from 6’5" to 6’4" for a similar reason.

2 Likes

If your intent is solely to call out the NYT, you could lose the image and entire first part of the article save for the tail end of the paragraph. Your title isn’t exactly reflective of your message either.

It comes across as fat shaming first, shrouded in some valid but secondary criticism of the NYT. But I’m not your mom. I just like to think we are better than this.

3 Likes
9 Likes

Back in the day, I did a bunch of work with a bariatric surgery company who wanted a BMI calculator on their website. They supplied the calculations, and the widget would indicate if you’re “normal”, “should consider surgery”, or “prime candidate”. When I used my own measurements at the time – 6’1" at 145 lbs – it told me I should consider bariatric surgery for my weight. I’ve been pretty suspicious about BMI figures since then.

13 Likes

Having been underweight most of my life, I’ve been skeptical for a long time.

6 Likes

[QUOTE]This paragraph at the end of the Maggie Halberman’s story caught my attention:

“He has also been criticized for questionable assertions over the course of his television career, and sometimes speaks in the same type of hyperbole as Mr. Trump, which the medical profession has been known to reject.”

What you are supposed to know from these words: that Oz is paid to pitch weight-loss pills on his show, that he describes them as “magic,” and that his colleagues think he’s a quack. [/QUOTE]
This is part of how Trump (and also a lot of Trumpesque UK politicians) have been able to succeed: euphemism in place of journalism, and false equivalence in place of analysis.

5 Likes

Apparently, those in the field similarly view BMI with a massive grain of salt. It’s mostly used for large evaluations, usually (again, as I understand it…) for underweight groups. Not really intended for use with healthy adults.
And again, I’d love to use a more finely constructed tool, but the small-fingered vulgarian hasn’t actually released anything one could evaluation, so we’re left with coarse and blunt. Fitting, really.

6 Likes

That would do as well, as long as it happens before November 8th, 2016.

1 Like

Which one was the other’s role model?

6 Likes

10 Likes

1872 all over again

It’s gonna be chaos

2 Likes

Ah,… the rude & obnoxious douchebag exception to First Amendment protections. So often, and so erroneously, ovelooked by them anti-PC proponents.

Noted.

1 Like

did you properly debug your code? a bmi of 19.1 is normal.

5 Likes

Nope. Not even close. I’m a bit bigger than I’d like to be right now, but when I was wearing size 0 pants (women will know this translates to “skinny”), I had a BMI that was bordering on “obese” because I’m average height for women (5’4"), and had/have a lot of muscle mass. BMI is first, and foremost, biased against anyone with a lot of muscle mass.

16 Likes

What is that substance on top of his head?

16 Likes

so what you’re saying is, he really DOES represent america!

8 Likes

There you have it: The guy who plays a doctor on TV says that the guy who plays a businessman on TV is healthy enough to play the President on TV.

We already knew that President Trump would make “great television” so I’m not sure what has been accomplished here.

17 Likes

check your privilege!

6 Likes

What is the measured waist size?
A waist-to-height ratio is a better measurement of health than are BMI and weight.

7 Likes

Ewww. I’ll pass. I mean, honestly, I can’t eat Cheetos anymore. (

4 Likes