Trump on the UK: "They call it Great Britain. They used to call it England, different parts."

How about the Orange Man instead of the Purple Man?

Zebediah Killgrave (Earth-460)

History

Zebediah Killgrave killed or banished all superheroes from the planet, using his powers as Purple Man to retain his seat as President of the United States for life.

2 Likes

Queen of what?

https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-claims-queen-elizabeth-kept-him-waiting-uk-us-media/

Wow. I learned something new today. I didn’t know that Great Britain referred to the island and to the island only. Thanks DT for teaching me something new. It feels good to learn, not that I’d expect you to understand.

1 Like
  1. It’s a generation thing to interchangeably use UK and England - I have seen historians on BBC documentaries do it. Doesn’t make it right.
  2. Ireland is Ireland, not the Republic of Ireland. The whole island is also called Ireland, for confusion. The country of Ireland is Ireland.
  3. I was always taught Great Britain was the mainland, the British Isles includes all the weird islands and extra bits. Ireland being part of the British Isles is incorrect.

Basically, its complicated, and people who live here can’t agree. But most at least know its a controversial topic.

4 Likes

No thanks. You keep him.

6 Likes

Even though this does explain a lot, I do not believe a word of what comes out of that woman’s mouth.

1 Like

We’re not allowed guns in the UK. If she were to stick to tradition (and she is the Queen, so one might expect her to), she would have taken a pint glass, smashed it over the nearest bar, and used it to re-sculpt his face. Probably not fatal, but…well, she decided to stick to higher principles. Maybe we can expect better post-Brexit?

3 Likes

Christ, this man is stupid.

2 Likes

We are allowed certain kinds of guns. I am certain that the Queen owns a few shotguns for hunting purposes, but I can’t imagine that Trump meat is palatable.

6 Likes

I think that part of the reason that team GB is the Olympic thing is that NI sportspeople get to choose whether to represent Ireland or GB. Of course there are sports which are all Ireland by default such as rugby (I think cricket, hockey and some other traditionally more upper class in Ireland are too) and believe me; NI British citizens playing for Ireland and their British supporters really, really, really enjoy beating England whenever possible…

3 Likes

I wouldn’t feed him to my dogs.

3 Likes

I think he’s using it in the same(now archaic as a word, sadly fashionable as a context) morally degenerate 80s plutocratic dystopia(kind of a recurring interest for him) sense seen most memorably in Robocop:

4 Likes

britney and anyar and maybe a spear

I can see her blasting him with a lovely Purdey side-by-side (or, for that matter, running him over with a lorry), but not feeding his remains to the Corgis, the poor things.

1 Like

By definition, the ruling monarch is never late. The event starts when they arrive, everyone else is just there early.

7 Likes

“When we win, its another ‘Win for Great Britain!’ and when we lose, its ‘England loses again.’”
– Flanders and Swann

There is some degree of truth to that.

Famous people from Wales/Scotland/NI are called British by the press when they are popular, but are called Welsh/Scottish/Northern Irish when they are not.

5 Likes

Unless you have one of these.
https://www.gov.uk/shotgun-and-firearm-certificates

Some clues:

A search of Australian digitized newspapers from the early 1800s to the mid 1950s reveal 11 million mentions of ‘England’, 2.3 million mentions of ‘Great Britain’ and 1.25 million mentions of the ‘United Kingdom’.

The postage stamps of the ‘United Kingdom’ have never had a country name on them.

The ‘grand slam’ tennis tournaments are the ‘Australian Open’, ‘The American Open’, ‘The French Open’ and ‘Wimbledon’

The cricket team that serves as the national representative ‘English’ team is officially the ‘Marleybone Cricket Club’ or ‘MCC’.

An English view. ‘The Scots and the Welsh make damn fine infantry - under white officers of course!’