Trump pre-empts Israel's ban on Dem congresswomen with tweet implying he made them do it

It is never a good idea when democracies start banning the travel of democratically elected representatives between their countries.

13 Likes

For the sake of accuracy: Trump had already urged Netanyahu to do this many days ago, so it’s not as if Netenyahu saw his tweet today and immediately acted on it. He saw Trump’s tweet from a week ago and slowly acted on it.

ETA: I misremembered how Trump had previously expressed his desire for Israel to prevent Omar and Tlaib from visiting. It was not by tweet, but through reports that he was “telling his advisers” this desire.

6 Likes

Better wake up the Jesus from his 2000 year dirt nap, shits going down in the Holy Land.

tumblr_m9tkm9dspS1r2ntmlo1_500

14 Likes

Even less so when the person who voices the idea is the leader of the country whose representatives are being banned.

Trump can’t even wrap his head around the idea of a “loyal opposition” party.

10 Likes

if I said a lot of the things he says on twitter I would get banned for inciting hatred and my twitter account would be banned one rule for one and one for the other

12 Likes

When all is said and done the political partnership between the Israeli government and the American far-right will be looked back upon as one of the most moronically short-sighted strategic alliances in history.

“Seriously, grandpa—how could you guys not have predicted that they’d all turn out to be anti-semites??

13 Likes

The point is that Trump instantly screws over everyone who supplicates to him. Netanyahu would not have wanted this to appear to be a response to Trump, Trump will have agreed with that stipulation, Trump’s press secretary said it wasn’t going to happen as a response to Trump, and then minutes later Trump pre-empts the announcement with a tweet that gives the impression it is happening only at his behest. It’s a perfectly Trumpian undermining of any strategizing that involves him.

Post-Brexit Britain is well-positioned to be a conspicuous victim of this cycle. Some elaborate plan to announce fast-track trade deal negotiations will have been worked on for weeks that smooths out all the bumps and accounts for all the wild and wooly ways media coverage and the negotiations themselves might go. Then as soon as the “expected today” reporting hits the wires, he’ll tweet about how much he’s looking forward to the American insurance industry modernizing the NHS.

27 Likes

By going to an occupied country they are just validating its existence and ongoing massacre in the first place. The Congresswomens’ time would be much better spent bringing some publicity to the Palestinian situation by touring the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

2 Likes

You’d think that people would have figured out how to get in front of him by now.

I know government moves at a glacial pace but, damn.

3 Likes

I agree completely. However, my take on your headline, and similar ones, is that they help propagate the impression Trump wants spread. Wouldn’t it be better to work against his agenda with a headline that said something like “Trump preempts Israel’s ban on Tlaib, Omar with tweet made to look like he’s in charge” ?

3 Likes

Just wait for Boris Johnson’s chortling paniked incomprehension at being baldly fucked by Trump.

9 Likes

The thing you’re worried about – people taking from this an impression of Trump as muscular realpolitik dominating allies abroad – is going to be happen anyway. About 42% of people will look at it and think that, 53% will think what an asshole, and the remaining 10% are too stupid for anything to sink in anyway.

Your suggestion is great, though! I’m going to use it.

10 Likes

While you’re taking suggestions…I think what you said in your reply to my initial comment is really important, and something like that ought to be included in the main post (for the folks who don’t delve into the BBS). Just a thought, though!

5 Likes

How about just wrong?

There’s no reason to wedge this into a mentality that’s traditionally been used to silence and criminalize dissent. And presupposes that all outside nations are military enemies.

The problem with Trump’s actions here, and every where, is not that they are insufficiently patriotic. Trump would deem you to be insufficiently patriotic for suggesting that.

This is racist, this undermines US diplomatic standing, and its a shot across the bow of Congressional legitimacy. And he’s asking a diplomatic ally to take partisan action on his own or his partys behalf, at the expense of all that. That’s wrong and bad, but treason it ain’t.

Calling Trump’s every sketchy action treason has been a thing since before he took office. That doesn’t mean its not a disturbing way to frame it.

3 Likes

Another splendid idea. Done!

9 Likes

If “feels like treason” keeps people from voting for the douche bag from hell so be it.

4 Likes

That was their plan, but you can only get to the camps via the State of the Jewish People.

2 Likes

Huh? But Turmp isn’t critical of Israel’s current government and doesn’t regard Palestinians as people.

Oh, or wait… did you mean the old definition of “antisemitism”, which included things like “being friends with actual nazis” and “peddling stereotypes and conspiracy theories about Jewish people”?

6 Likes

Well, President Biff may have inadvertently boomeranged here, as the intent was to rally far-right voters in the upcoming Israeli elections. Now, instead of looking strong, Bibi looks like an ass-kissing puppet of President Biff. So Bibi being beholden to a foreign leader, even if it is Biff, is not the look he wanted.

So good. May his gambit backfire, and may Netanyahu be swept out of office and into a jail cell.

10 Likes

Oh and President Fucktard has an antisemitic preacher do the invocation for the US Embassy in Jerusalem

13 Likes