Trump refuses to explain how he'll handle business conflicts of interest as President until he's sworn in

Meanwhile, you can still give him money:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/splash/2017-inaugural-membership/
(Why the $2,700 limit?)

The law:

Contribution Limits
An individual may give a maximum of:
$2,700 per election to a Federal candidate or the candidate’s campaign committee.2 Notice that the limit applies separately to each election. Primaries, runoffs and general elections are considered separate elections.

3 Likes

So when do we get to hear about his foundation being dismantled for, among other things, self-dealing?

everything I’ve been reading says there’s no binding law saying the President must avoid conflicts of interest - up till now it’s just been a norm. Your citing on emoluments seems to cover outright gifts/bribes/etc. Seems like there’s nothing to stop Trump from opening Trump Cuba Hotel and getting rid of all restrictions on trade with Cuba.

1 Like

It’s a convincing argument, but tRump is so non-transparent, has spent so many years hiding information about his finances, that it sadly can’t be conclusively proved, it’s all circumstantial. We’ll find out more over the next four years - and probably find out the hard way, as conflicts of interest become apparent.

2 Likes

The more I think about it I’m convinced Trump will end up being impeached within 2 years. I don’t see how he will avoid serious conflicts of interests and it’s only a matter of time before he runs afoul of the law to the point where he won’t be able to weasel out of it with rhetoric and denials.

The Republican establishment will only tolerate him long enough to gore some sacred liberal agenda cows and for a conservative Scalia replacement to be appointed to SCOTUS at which point they will want to shed any association with Rouge Trump One in time for mid-term elections in 2018.

Unfortunately this means a President Pence becomes a pox on all our houses but it sounds like he’s going to be pretty much running things as it is.

It is a relatively minor issue compared to his many, many other issues but it’s symptomatic of his inability to make even the smallest token attempt at divesting himself of other interests. If the position is meaningless then there’s no reason NOT to step down.

Trump just landed what is arguably the most elite job title on the planet. Billions of lives will be affected by his decisions over the next 4-8 years. It shouldn’t be asking too much for him to take that responsibility seriously enough to give that task his undivided attention for the duration of his term.

4 Likes

Who would, in all respects, be preferable to Trump.

4 Likes

At the very least, it is a conflict of interest for NBC news for NBC to have him as EP of the Apprentice.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure those (I can’t read the WSJ one) are basically saying “everyone played ball, so the congress never had to get involved before” meaning there is no set legal precedent. That’s a long distance from “legally he doesn’t have to avoid conflicts of interest.”

3 Likes

I seriously absolutely just installed that.

ETA: Oh God it’s awesome!!!

1 Like

no particular relationship to the truth

I think Trump’s only “truth” is “good for Trump”, and in that regard he speaks and acts with total dedication.

(within the considerable limits of his understanding)

3 Likes

Why? The mainstream GOP loves him.

1 Like

Don’t even go there. Can you imagine the bill he’s gonna send the government for putting up its security forces while they guard his personal interests against politically motivated attacks?

1 Like

Bill? He’ll just tell the government to guard him and use police and military as his personal guard, as he is doing now at Trump Tower. (I know presidents get Secret Service protection, but Mr. “I’m too rich to live or work full time in that White House dump” is using way more of it.)

2 Likes

Nope… GOP establishment is tolerating Trump as a means to an end for their agenda (repealing Obamacare, conservative SCOTUS, etc). They would rather have a more pliable President that is more aligned with their interests.

3 Likes

Hell, I heard John Zmirak, “senior editor at conservative blog Stream.org,” say on Premier Christian Radio (UK) that there was no possible scandal that would keep him from voting for Trump. None. The only thing he Zmirak cared about was anti-abortion laws. Total one note Christian voter who did not care at all about the morality of the man he was voting for. Scary stuff.

4 Likes

What’s so annoying about the fundie anti-abortion thinking is that its pretty new. The southern baptist convention supported abortion rights as recently as 1976 based on (among other things) Genesis 2:7 which says that god only put a soul into adam after this body was fully-formed.

3 Likes

I am not surprised by this. I have always said that the US religious right would vote for Satan as long as they had an (R) next to their name.

8 Likes

And definitely against any long haired hippies who tell rich people to give away all their wealth and focus on helping the least among us, including the poor and the imprisoned. They’d have Jesus arrested for vagrancy and illegal immigration.

2 Likes