Trump renews attack on patriotic family of Muslim American war hero

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/01/trump-renews-attack-on-patriot.html

3 Likes

My favorite line : “Can I not defend myself?”

Sure … Defend yourself. But you’ll look like you have the maturity of a tadpole and the intelligence of a lobotomized field mouse. But sure, proceed. And proceed. And proceed. And then get used to this because there’s more coming. Might wanna focus on Mark Cuban next.

23 Likes

This will only fire up his base. But you know who’s disgusted? Mainstream Republicans. A few of them are actually coming out for Clinton at this point.

EDIT: Mike Pence didn’t check with the team before sending this out:

Donald Trump and I believe that Captain Humayun Khan is an American hero and his family, like all Gold Star families, should be cherished by every American.

Captain Khan gave his life to defend our country in the global war on terror. Due to the disastrous decisions of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, a once stable Middle East has now been overrun by ISIS. This must not stand.

(Actually, no, that’s not what Donald Trump believes. It’s what a reasonable person would believe.)

25 Likes

Maybe Trump would be good at gardening or something?

He’s definitely not in the right place right now.

9 Likes

How do you make “America Great Again” while attacking Americans?

24 Likes

And also, Mike Pence. Pence is not a reasonable person, but this clearly shows the distinction between an experienced, professional politician and an unrestrained asshat. Pence can use his political skills to mimic a reasonable person in public, when he wants to. Trump does not know how to do that.

35 Likes

Bwahahahaha. That’s rich.

14 Likes

18 Likes

Particularly rich to blame Obama, since Capt. Khan died in 2004.

38 Likes

Exactly. He’s evil, awful, and completely unsuited to a position of power. But he’s less stupid than Trump

10 Likes

A rational conservative would have thanked the fallen soldier for his service, and offer condolences to the parents for their sacrifice.

But Trump is neither, so…

I actually ran into someone on another forum who said they served with Capt. Khan and that he was a model soldier and definition of selflessness (paraphrasing).

23 Likes

Khaaaaannnn!

10 Likes

Again and again I ask myself, is this really the sort of person we want making presidential decisions?

I’m referring to Mike Pence, of course.

14 Likes

A thin Trump loss would let him pretend he only lost because the game was rigged. Then it will be 2016 forever.

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine Donald Trump on your television … forever.” – O’Brien in George Orwell’s “1984” (revised edition)

20 Likes

The worst-case scenario might not be a Trump victory. A thin Trump loss would let him pretend he only lost because the game was rigged. Then it will be 2016 forever.

Well one of the “rules,” of American politics is that if you win a major-party nomination and lose the election, you never get nominated again. But Trump has successfully broken a lot of :“rules.”

1 Like

He’s making America great for the right kind of Americans.

15 Likes

Definitely. This is what’s struck me lately: beyond all the bloviating and racism and isolationism and xenophobia, it’s becoming very clear that despite his years of celebrity and TV hosting that Trump really isn’t any good at this stuff. He’s not quick witted, he’s not wise or intelligent, he’s not at all clever, and he does a terrible job of thinking about what his words mean before he says them. For a while, his status as a non-politician was his selling point, but man, he’s a lousy candidate.

21 Likes

I just cringe every time Trump opens his mouth. He just makes everything worse. His giant ego won’t seem to let him take advice from the more sensible people who must be around him somewhere. When Pat Smith had a similar but less eloquent message at the GOP convention, HRC put out a fairly reasonable statement that “I don’t hold any ill feeling for someone who in that moment may not fully recall everything that was or wasn’t said.”, and the Democrats put out a message that it was terrible of the RNC to use the pain of a grieving mother for political gain. Trump, on the other hand, probably has no respect at all for the sacrifice made by these parents, and does not even know how to pretend to care. You can probably be an idiot and also an effective president if you surround yourself with the brightest minds out there, and listen carefully to their guidance. I cannot even tell why Trump wants to be president, except to possibly enhance the value of his personal brand.

5 Likes

One 2016 is more than enough for any reality. I hope we all learn our lesson. Just as soon as we figure out what that lesson is.

4 Likes

I’ve always suspected that was the original idea. Maybe it still is. He sure doesn’t seem at all concerned with what functioning as the president would actually entail.

17 Likes