Trump sending more armed agents to more U.S. cities, Bill Barr winks

Wait – McConnell? Are you sure that there aren’t turtles in the stack?

2 Likes

I imagine that if there is a legal loophole to avoid quarantine they will use it.

4 Likes

I won’t be able to read that without Carly Simon’s “Legend in Your Own Time” playing in my head - with the misheard lyric “Legend in Your Own Mind.”

5 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed about this whole “sending federal troops into cities” thing is how confusing it is. It seems like they are sending different types of agents for different reasons into different cities. i.e. They sent investigators as well as troops to Kansas City as part of Operation Legend to solve unsolved violent crimes (purportedly) whereas whatever the fuck is going on in Portland seems to be loosely based on protecting federal property. I mean, I’m not surprised that this administration is doing something in a confusing and poorly explained manner but when mysterious armed federal agents are involved you really think you’d try your best not to confuse people (I suppose though that confusing people is the point.)

7 Likes

What goes into making his list of targets: Democrat-led, blue, city, state, minorities - check, check, check, check, check! Cities and states that meet that criteria are where he’ll use any excuse to send the troops, because things happening there are “out of (his political party’s) control.” The projection from 45 about “fake news,” “civility,” and “politicizing everything” make these developments even more painful to watch.

12 Likes

Look for yourself.

5 Likes

Also it seems odd that this administration is both defending the efficacy of local police while at the same time sending in the FBI to solve unsolved crimes and then bragging/lying about how supposedly successful they have been.

5 Likes

That would be section 3.

“This Order’s direction to self-quarantine does not apply to persons employed by arilines, those performing public safety or public health functions, military personnel, federal employees, those employed by a federal agency or national defense contractor…”

8 Likes

Not under any such misconception. He only cares about himself.

That’s why I specifically said “gets it in his head”- being forced to acknowledge reality does not need to mean you are forced to like it

KC update:

Mayor Lucas was on the list of mayors condemning federal agents in the cities unwanted. Said he welcomes federal help, IF they are working with local government and authorities.

Then fact checked Barr who said that since sending FBI agents to KC, there have been 200 arrests. Lucas said he is aware of 1. DOJ later backtracked and said that was from the beginning of the year. He has also pointed out our crime issues have nothing to do with the BLM protests.

Meanwhile we our murder rate is on pace for a record. Lucas is in the position where there is community out cry for solving and stopping these murders. Which is easier said than done. That lady I mentioned gun downed with a baby stroller was evidently pregnant at the time as well :confused:

3 Likes

It’s a hotbed of corruption and violence, he saw it on Better Call Saul

10 Likes

Oh, fuck. That means Hank is gonna be in on it.

4 Likes

I’m SURE they will follow that directive.

2 Likes

Wildly off topic, but reading boingboing without an adblocker is weird:
“And then there was this”

They’re outlawing nail clippers?! What’s going on…oh. Right. Ad.

3 Likes

dean norris

5 Likes

Checks out.

3 Likes

There’s a scene in The Dancer Upstairs where the military takes over the police, and everything goes to shit because no one in the military is particularly competent at criminal investigations, or traffic control, or anything that doesn’t involve brute force.

2 Likes

that’s actually a scene from terminator 2, dean norris has four lines and his character is named “swat leader”

4 Likes

Aw, hell. Did he ever wear paramilitary gear in any BB franchise?

3 Likes

I’m just confused because he looks exactly the same as he did 30 years ago

6 Likes