Trump: states should decide which bathrooms trans people can use

Is it wrong that I’d even choose Buffalo Bill over Trump?

8 Likes

Gumb 2016: It votes for me, or else it gets the hose again.

9 Likes

7 Likes

3 Likes

No, it’s fine with me.

4 Likes

I’m no Trump fan, but I don’t see a contradiction here. He personally thinks trans people should be able to use whatever restroom they’d like, but when it comes to actual legal policy he thinks the states should have the right to decide. No biggie.

1 Like

I guess we will find out at the inauguration. Makes me wonder if Condoleezza Rice would make a good VP candidate.

1 Like

The colors do run, actually. Into little flaming puddles, with newer flags anyways.

(<— Eagle scout, have retired many flags)

5 Likes

No, sorry, that’s a biggie. States have repeatedly proven they are crappy stewards of civil rights. See also: Brown v. Board of Education, Loving v. Virginia, Lawrence v. Texas, Obergefell v. Hodges.

11 Likes

Agreed. As far as I can tell, “states rights” are only dragged out when people want to defend terrible stuff anyway. It was “states rights this and that” when a state tried to outlaw marriage equality but it was “defense of traditional marriage” as soon as a state legalized marriage equality.

13 Likes

Ooooo…Sparkly flip flops!

4 Likes

Hey doll.

Fabulous footwear!

4 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

Putin has used the same argument, basically; he himself has no opposition to gay rights, but if he uses his powers to overrule the Duma, people will say he’s a dictator.

2 Likes

The contradiction is that he originally said trans folk should be able to use whatever bathroom they want, presumably in whatever state they happen to be in. Then Cruz attacked him hard on that, so he shifted to a “states’ rights” argument.

As to the states’ rights argument, that is effectively letting discrimination happen on a state-by-state level. As others have pointed out, this is a bad idea. Slavery, segregation, anti-miscegenation, anti-gay, etc all have been defended under the states’ rights argument. I don’t think you were arguing for that, but in case you were, the Bill of Rights trumps (npi) states’ rights.

9 Likes

But it does actually say what he will do for trans people. Absolutely nothing.
Which in turn means that he is clearly trying to appeal to normal people and bigots alike, by doing what Trump does best: Being openly full of shit.

Completely off topic but that’s amazing. I love those visual explanations of how circuits work.

It seems to be incomplete, though: if S and R are both 1, so are Q and !Q. This might be taken as suggesting that if Sanders and Rubio were both to get the nomination, they would both get elected.

2 Likes

1 Like