Trump supporter berates black Lyft driver with racial slurs and calls cops because he wouldn't put the radio on

It is sad that Mr Ortiz does not appear to be facing any recourse for his abuse of the emergency services system (as in the abuse of the emergency services specifically, not the recourse he has been facing for being a asshole)

6 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

There’s no hatred like self-hatred.

Some of the biggest racial bigots out there are POC, just as some of the biggest misogynists happen to be female.

13 Likes

The other people who have jobs taking care of the city have done nothing to deserve having to work along side this shitegob.

7 Likes

Sorry for not reading the comments above…

I would like us all take a moment and commend the driver for keeping his cool, the way he did, during this whole confrontation.

I consider myself a nice, easy-going, kind of quiet dude, but shit, this guy has me beat.

If I were spoken to, the way this passenger was speaking to the driver, I would do something I would regret. Did I say I am a piece, love and happiness, laid-back kind of person? I think I did…

9 Likes

When I first heard of ride sharing, I thought what a brilliant peer to peer alternative. But systems like this work only as long as humans appreciate each other, recognize the PEER part of it. When humans view the driver/server/host/provider etc as: OTHER or SEPARATED or PIECE OF SHIT it stops working.

Mr. Ortiz did not act like good people act. He acted like selfish fools who ruin the fun for everyone act.

Mr. Lettman acted like a good person.

We all ALL OF US have good and bad in us. We get to choose which part we act out. Slow down, consider your actions. LAY OFF THE COKE.

6 Likes

The Genius of the Crowd --bukowski
there is enough treachery, hatred violence absurdity in the average
human being to supply any given army on any given day

and the best at murder are those who preach against it
and the best at hate are those who preach love
and the best at war finally are those who preach peace

those who preach god, need god
those who preach peace do not have peace
those who preach peace do not have love

beware the preachers
beware the knowers
beware those who are always reading books
beware those who either detest poverty
or are proud of it
beware those quick to praise
for they need praise in return
beware those who are quick to censor
they are afraid of what they do not know
beware those who seek constant crowds for
they are nothing alone
beware the average man the average woman
beware their love, their love is average
seeks average

but there is genius in their hatred
there is enough genius in their hatred to kill you
to kill anybody
not wanting solitude
not understanding solitude
they will attempt to destroy anything
that differs from their own
not being able to create art
they will not understand art
they will consider their failure as creators
only as a failure of the world
not being able to love fully
they will believe your love incomplete
and then they will hate you
and their hatred will be perfect

like a shining diamond
like a knife
like a mountain
like a tiger
like hemlock

their finest art

Lots of self-deluded kapos out there supporting or making excuses for this regime.

Ok, let me stop you right there…

In reality, of course, everyone else in the world exists only as a prop for this demented narcissist. To call them “NPCs” in his life would be to assume he cares about their personal agency.

7 Likes

The fascists are already going after us (trans people and their allies), they just find that transphobic LGB people are useful idiots right now so they are left alone.

Just a reminder that this is what happened in 1933 too.

Magnus Hirschfeld coined the term transsexualism, identifying the clinical category which his colleague Harry Benjamin would later develop in the United States. Transgender people were on the staff of the Institute, as well as being among the clients there. Various endocrinologic and surgical services were offered, including the first modern sex reassignment surgeries in the 1930s. Hirschfeld also worked with Berlin’s police department to curtail the arrest of cross-dressed individuals, including those suspected of wearing certain clothing in connection with sex work, through the creation of transvestite passes issued on behalf of the Institute to those who had a personal desire to wear clothing associated with a gender other than the one assigned to them at birth.

On 6 May 1933, while Hirschfeld was in Ascona, Switzerland, the Deutsche Studentenschaft made an organised attack on the Institute of Sex Research. A few days later, the Institute’s library and archives were publicly hauled out and burned in the streets of the Opernplatz. Around 20,000 books and journals, and 5,000 images, were destroyed. Also seized were the Institute’s extensive lists of names and addresses. In the midst of the burning, Joseph Goebbels gave a political speech to a crowd of around 40,000 people.

9 Likes

They’ll get around to a classification system, because they always do, and that Trump supporter will find himself with at least a couple strikes against him. And his friends and fellow Trump supporters will suddenly forget they know him.

7 Likes

If they did it within a couple hours and called to apologize I am willing to consider that maybe they took just long enough to view the video, the person viewing the video to say to coworkers ‘holy shit, check this asshole out’ have a laugh, replay one time, say ‘hey we should reinstate that guy and call up and apologize for what he went through did you see his face?’

1 Like

So few Americans vote, and a subset of that group is the people who do vote, but for whom politics isn’t really about issues it’s about image and fantasy, and for them voting in an election is like voting for American Idol or rooting for a sports team.

5 Likes

What an amazing amount of patience on the part of the driver. I’d like to think I could be as patient and stoic in that kind of situation, but I don’t think I could. Sometimes there is a power in being silent, and letting the storm pass, so to speak.

1 Like

Lyft wrote me back.

9 Likes

Hmm, maybe Lyft really is better than Uber!

5 Likes

I’m reading So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed, I recommend it.

Thanks, maybe.

Are you implying that there’s something wrong with the asshole in the backseat being publicly shamed?

If so, I’d again say maybe, and I’d add that if so, it’s far outweighed by validation of the shit that this driver, and black people more generally, have to go through on the regular.

6 Likes

Like a black gentleman rooting for his son during a soccer game having the cops called on him?

5 Likes

Liked, despite the use (given that we’re at BB) of the term “gentleman.”

3 Likes