Trump supporter punches out old lady outside rally

So does trump have anything to say about this? Like condemning this actual crime that was done in his name? Or is he condoning it? Or will he actually stand by his word and pay for this guy’s lawyers, or was that a lie?

1 Like

Well obviously he didn’t mean he’d pay those legal fees himself. He meant that he’d redirect donations to the Trump Foundation to cover it and take credit for paying the fees. Unless that turned out to be too much trouble in which case he was being SARCASTIC, guys! DUH!

13 Likes

“I’m also not going to validate the language that Hillary Clinton used to describe the American people,” --Mike Pence

Ha. Yes, Hillary was referring to ALL Americans when she said “half of Trump supporters were a basket of deplorables.”

What a slimy weasel.

12 Likes

I’d guess he’d have his subordinates desperately trying to convince him not to endorse the attacker…
Him saying nothing would probably be the best-case achievable scenario…

1 Like

He’s charged with assault on female? I didn’t know assault charges varied depending on the gender of the victim.

2 Likes

I know! I love that city… It’s been a while since I’ve been, though… most of the family vacations of the last couple of years have been either research trips or conference trips for me (or sometimes, both).

4 Likes

When your hands are that small, it just takes less time I guess…

5 Likes

Also, I do think it’s kind of interesting that he keeps showing up in cities in red states that tend towards the blue… He did a rally in Austin, not too long ago, if I’m not mistaken and of course, the ATL… I think that’s a rather interesting strategy, given who he’s attempting to claim to represent. Didn’t someone say upthread they wonder if he’s trying to stir up violence? I wouldn’t be surprised if he were at the very least attempting to win support in blue enclaves among conservatives in those cities who feel like outsiders.

7 Likes

Agreed… BUT…
I’ve been saying for a while now, while people were on/off predicting a Democratic landslide, I see another 49/51 election. And I can’t say for sure who I think it’ll be. I pray I’m wrong and an overwhelming message is sent to The Republican Nominee (I choose to no longer utter his name) and the right in general… but…

Ultimately though, my concern is that even if he loses, things aren’t suddenly going to become sunshine and roses in the U.S. All of those angry/hateful people on the right aren’t suddenly going to be assuaged and fall in line. The divisiveness is greater than I’ve ever seen in my almost-50 years in this country. I don’t see how we’ll ever get united again. It isn’t like the irrational haters are suddenly going to come to their senses that the world has changed around them, the demographic makeup of “their country” has shifted and America will only get better when we all work together. Nope… it will just rally them to scream “NOT MY PRESIDENT!” even louder.

8 Likes

That’s a very good point and one I hadn’t seen made before. It makes his success even less comprehensible though!

It always upset me that GWB, say, was seen as devoutly Christian while doing such un-Jesusian things as bombing families to pieces. But if Drumpf were to get in he wouldn’t even have the tenuous restraint that Bush’s supposed “I’m good churchgoing folks” may have introduced.

If I didn’t make that point very clear, it’s because it’s not too clear in my own head either! :confused:

7 Likes

16 Likes

The fundies may believe in awful things because of their religion, but they at least have the decency to not screw someone over for shits and giggles. For example, the Mormons have no idea what to think of Trump.

1 Like

#Trump supporter punches out old lady outside rally

I’m so tired of this shit.

6 Likes

You’re assuming that he thinks there’s a difference between “American people” and “Trump supporters”…

5 Likes

Well, he means us real Americans, obviously.

Or maybe it’s like the Thin Blue Line, where if one criticizes the very worst individuals among us they somehow criticize all of us as a group?

4 Likes

I see the popular vote as ending up around 54/46 – a win for her, but not the 60/40 or more landslide it should be against a clown like this. The embarrassment will be compounded by an overall lower-than-normal voter turnout (for both unpopular and uninspiring candidates).

And you’re correct, the people who’ve fallen for right-wing populism’s depressingly familiar “solutions” to the very real effects of 35 years of the neoliberal consensus won’t just vanish after election day. And after the four years of the obstructionism and divisiveness you correctly predict they’ll be back with a new and more dangerous Leader.

2 Likes

Are Trump supporters now openly anticipating Putin’s takeover? :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m generally pessimistic, but not often a fatalist… yet, these days I’m starting to really worry. I can’t see an out for this division here now. I’m never going to want to stamp out Gay rights (or the rights of anyone), I’m never going to think I have the right to tell a woman (or anyone) what to do with their body (as long as it doesn’t negatively affect others) and I’m never going to think rich people getting even richer is somehow going to make life better for the poor.
But I’m objective enough to realize that those on the right aren’t going to come over to my way of thinking either. And it only seems to be worsening (or possibly just becoming more rigid once in place).

It makes me wonder… is this where Democracy ultimately ends up? Slowly over a few hundred years distilling down from “majority rule” policies to an almost 50/50 split that is ultimately insurmountable? I don’t think we’ll ever see eye-to-eye on many issues again, and as long as we have this 50/50 balance of opposition how can we ever expect any more progress?

7 Likes

I am hoping that as the haters keep getting louder and more hateful, they will lose supporters. Also the old ones are dying off faster than they can find young replacements.

4 Likes

I wish, but there will never be a shortage of people to hate. There will never be a shortage of “others” that are somehow impinging on “our” rights by existing.

4 Likes