Trump supporter punches out old lady outside rally

I believe that was what Teter said to the Drumpf supporter, implying his boot licking of Putin posing a threat to our future.

3 Likes

Maybe pure democracy ends up there, but most Western countries have constitutional mechanisms in place to prevent tyranny of the majority and, by extension, to reduce gridlock where possible. The mechanisms aren’t perfect by any means, and sometimes there are slip-ups that allow ill-advised plebiscites (e.g. the CA proposition system, the Brexit vote, Quebec separatism) but for the most part the situation you describe is mitigated. The popular 50/50 split situation will ultimately be resolved one way or the other by demographic time and pressure, and from what I’ve seen the Millenials seem to be falling on our side of the issues you discuss.

Also, in discussions like this one it’s important to keep in mind that neoreactionaries like Peter Thiel (a supporter of the GOP candidate for POTUS) would like us to believe that democracy is incompatible with capitalism, and would like us to prioritise the latter over the former. We have to look at ways of reforming and improving democratic institutions rather than despairing over their shortcomings in the face of the end of the postwar economic anomaly.

6 Likes

normally* the argument goes like “capitalism is the foundation of democracy”, imo even more misleading

* unrelated to Thiel, I mean the garden-variety conservative or free market politician/journalist

4 Likes

Of course most urban areas “tend towards the blue”-- but I’m wondering, is he still jetting into places, doing the rally, then jetting back home so he can sleep in his own bed, rather than stay in some hotel? That would explain cities, which would be easier to fly into with a big jet, and no long drive out to the boondocks.

3 Likes

“Never” is a mighty long time, and none of us can predict the future.

3 Likes

Judging by human nature, my money’s on never.

Well, not never never, but just until humankind is dead and gone.

Yep That was a point I was going to make, surely her testimony and by standers whom had witnessed the crime have been enough and have the police been paid off?

It doesn’t really sound like he punched her out though, it sounds like he punched her and she fell down and hurt herself on her oxygen tank.

I just don’t believe the Trump supporters I’ve seen could actually punch out an old lady who required an oxygen tank to breathe, as much as I am sure that they believe they could.

Which is both sad and somewhat expected, given their part in the Proposition 8 fiasco.

1 Like

FTFY

"The problem we have right now—we have a society that sits back and says we don't have to do anything. Eventually, the 50 percent cannot carry—and it's unfair to them—but cannot carry the other 50 percent."
--Donald, "the Douchemonger", trump

I hope for similar things, but I have a one word reply: Milo.

3 Likes

Morality has to be brought into the mix, there’s a distinct lack of it and too much greed.

If you look at the government policies on the poorer members of society from any country in the world you’d agree with this quote.

If the war on poverty was a real war governments around the world and at home would actually be putting money into the fight against it! Agree or not?

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=25288

One source of info, go find others your bloody self (Expecting me to do all the work)!

Human nature as you currently perceive it, including your own biases.

I’m not an optimist, but neither am I ready to ‘go gently into that good night.’

I’m not giving into defeatism or hopelessness; I will continue to ‘rage against the dying of the light’ until I take my last breath.

2 Likes

Its a bad strategy though. It can effect the popular vote, but winning a slightly higher number of votes in a district that still goes with the other candidate doesn’t get you more electoral votes. So without flipping those districts, and enough of those (outside of Maine) to take states as a whole doesn’t get you closer to the presidency. Likewise winning a few more districts in a state you’re already a lock to win just nets you the same number of electoral votes. Texas is almost certainly going GOP. Campaigning in Austin doesn’t get him much besides, maybe, some fund raising (Cities are where money lives). So that sort of thing is just more of that whole “Trump wastes money” thing. Expending resources in states that are already safe, or impossible to flip.

Ashville makes more sense though. NC when narrowly for Obama in 08, and slightly less narrowly for Romney in 12. Hillary has been pretty consistently up in polling there so far this year, but its a narrow lead. The state has gone sufficiently purple that muddying up those populous, often urban districts that are leading the leftward shift for the state could keep the state red. The Ashville/Hendersonville area is, well not particularly urban or diverse. Its sufficiently far from the bluest parts of the state, and sufficiently isolated. And frankly less blue than the other districts in question that it can conceivably be flipped back towards the GOP Trump.

That could be part of it. But it seems like he’s doing fairly little actual campaigning when he makes these incongruous city trips. He does a lot more fund raising events. And there have been cancellations of rallies and other public events since his new goon squad took over. While those fundraising events remain. Cities have money, particularly large coastal cities.

5 Likes

I wish I could be sure that you are right.

But that’s if the whole jury agrees, and one Trump voter could easily make the difference. Not to slag on Asheville, which I love visiting. But I’m sure there are residents that aren’t the hippie college engineer Moog-friendly sort.

3 Likes

Judging by Seattle, my city is primarily putting money into winning the war on the poor by crushing their communities.

2 Likes

Maybe, but there are sufficiently-sized airports (e.g. decommissioned air bases) out there that are not attached to large cities. For example, Waco and Greenville, TX both have sizable airfields, and both are red-leaning.

EDIT: Or to go with a Blue State example, Cumberland MD (or Talbot County).

See what you mean, not just minimum wage increases causing job losses for low paid workers but as I’ve seen abroad house and rental prices going through the roof stopping locals affording accommodation in the areas where they and there families grew up and cancelling out any pay rise they might get.

1 Like

Yup, male on femaie assaults are among the most severe class misdemeanors in NC with a max penalty of 150 days in jail. Most other assaults have a max penalty of 60 days.

Wow! here in blighty ABH carries a maximum sentence of five years and GBH up to sixteen years depending on circumstances, we still fight though!

We have felony assaults that can carry similarly high sentences, but the 150/60 numbers are for misdemeanor assaults.