Trump supporters astonished to learn that the man they gave $20m to "build the wall" has nothing to show for it

He does have a big infrastructure initiative that’s going to need some kind of management…

1 Like

He bought himself a yacht for $1 million.

1 Like

Looks kind small to be worth a million bucks, but I don’t know a lot about big boats.

Regardless, LOL. That is great. I wonder how long before he flees to Mexico (irony) or just gets jailed for fraud.

1 Like

promised the credulous dunces in his “base” that he would

Y’know, just keep this up … draw a brighter line between us and them. Make sure that the attacks are essential (in the sense of being directed not at what they do, but who they are). And when those deplorables lift up their eyes and realize they’ve been had, there it’ll be: that wall – the one you just built. Sorry, idiots, if you want to join us clever people who understood it early, you gotta grovel, just a bit. And a certain number won’t come back at all.
When HRC ran with the deplorables comment, it only signaled one thing to me … yet another president who’d be totally cool with governing the ‘good’ half of the country; the other idiots can live with getting mocked for another 4 years over having bought what an incredibly well funded and well run propaganda machine has fed them: that their very damned real problems are caused by black/jews/mexicans/soy-boys …
And yeah, there are Klansmen out there, there are Dominionists out there: actual villains, I get that. But that is in no way the majority of Drumpf’s support.
It’s chaos; be kind. Also, avoiding this would be really cool: It Could Happen Here | iHeart

We are way past the point where even the most ignorant Trump supporter does not understand what Trump is; therefore, I submit that to support him at all is to be an actual villain. You don’t have to be a registered Klansman to be a racist dirtbag.

I don’t think there are stupid people - just people with different priorities and values. And some of those priorities and values are dirtbag racist ones.

12 Likes

I know it’s a cliche but in this case that really is both the strength and weakness of this block of voters. They like to march and it doesn’t matter if it is improving the lives of veterans or just seeing what it looks like to pour 20m into a wood chipper, the important thing is that they marched.

I was thinking the wall will be to the scale of the budget.

6 Likes

Have you watched Fox News at any point? There’s a reason why their ads are rife with questionable products and shitty supplements. These people are fucking ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubes. They’re the type who keep handing over cash to play those carnival games because “maybe, just this once I can get that animal stuffed with lead and asbestos for my kids!”

8 Likes

Yeah, it wasn’t a politically correct thing to say.

But, even at the time, it was obvious to everyone that Trump’s candidacy was attracting, intentionally, white supremacists, misogynists, etc. If you supported Trump for other reasons (say, regaining control over women’s reproductive choices), you still knew that your candidate attracted people who were, for lack of a better word, deplorable.

Trump supporters who were, allegedly, not racist+ could have responded with a #notallRepublicans, or gone after the claim that it was half the Trump voters (not half the population). Instead, they embraced the term deplorable.

That’s basically responding to “some Trump voters are racists” with a “I"M A RACIST!!! WOOOHOOO!!!”

Which is deplorable.

“For 50 bucks, I’ll help you get it back.”

15 Likes

I keep noodling around with the Bible quote about how “Even the Devil can quote scripture.” (Assuming the Venn diagram overlaps a bit here.) The lesson being, just because somebody says they are on your side, doesn’t mean they aren’t really a Bad Guy. You were warned to beware of False Prophets, so why are you so quick to trust everyone who says something you want to hear?

1 Like

He said he’d be breaking ground by June 1, nevermind which year.

2 Likes

Once again, “My name is Elmer J. Fudd. I own a mansion and a yacht.”

6 Likes

“I guaranteed we would build the wall . . . and I’ll leave it at that!”

Once I found out that the subjunctive mood was, in English, largely about the speaker not wanting to express the doubt the speaker is thinking and feeling … it helped me see bullshit in writing better.

Would, Could, Should, and Shall are the four horsemen of the Bullshit Apocalypse.

8 Likes

Yeah, Trump is sort of the intersection of Glenn Beck and Alex Jones, in terms of the kind of snake oil and scams their fans are willing to eat up.

4 Likes

Except that even in the same statement where she made the “deplorables” comment she wasn’t saying all of Donald Trump’s supporters were racist sexist dirtbags, and went on to explain the other half of Trump’s supporters were fundamentally resonable people who “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.” In other words, decent Americans who simply had different ideas about how to run the country. Compare that to Trump, who explicitly tried to punish entire states (like California) just because a majority of their voters didn’t support him.

If anything Hillary’s assessment of Trump supporters was generous. I steadfastly believe that 100% of Trump’s supporters are demonstrably fine with sexism and racism even if those aren’t the main factors that led them to vote for him.

8 Likes

I still think she should have taken some advice from Dennis Skinner MP.

• Skinner: …it should be placed on record that, according to my hon. Friends who worked tirelessly in the Committee to oppose the provisions of the Bill, including this clause, the Liberal spokesman was not there half the time.
  • David Alton: I do not know where the hon. Gentleman gets his facts from. If it is from one of his friends on the national executive committee of the Labour Party, I suspect that the information is probably as spurious and ridiculous as most of the other things said in that body. I can assure him that what he said is certainly not the case, and I hope that he will withdraw that comment immediately.
  • [An exchange takes place between the pair and the speaker, who asks Skinner to keep on topic but not to withdraw the remark.]
  • Skinner: The hon. Member for Edge Hill seems a bit upset about my saying that he was not there half the time. Will he settle for my agreeing that he was there the other half? That is an advance.
  • House of Commons, Hansard, 1 April 1981, 04:30am, volume 2 col 448
5 Likes

Looks like a custom Jupiter 41SB with quad Yamaha 350s. The motors themselves are $45k each. The boat is at least $700k. Depending on how much customization he did, it could be just under or just over $1M.

8 Likes

“Half of Trump’s supporters are not people I would necessarily characterize as ‘a basket of deplorables’” would be a very diplomatic way of putting it.

6 Likes

Trump validates their malignant racism. They will never turn on him or his ilk.

So. . . if we just don’t call gullible fools “dunces” we’ll achieve some kind of improvement over the current situation?

I understand: it seems counterproductive to further alienate that portion of the US who are so willing to keep eating Trump’s bullshit sandwich, but I think for them it doesn’t matter what we say, in fact it doesn’t even matter what Kolfage, or even Trump himself do. They are the flat-Earthers of politics.

4 Likes

As I said upthread…