Trump tells America's attorneys general that Jews might be desecrating their own cemeteries to make him look bad

Not at all. He not only made vague false flag comments, he specifically said it was (potentially) “the reverse” of what it appeared to be. What’s the reverse of Jews being targets of hate crimes? Themselves perpetrating hate crimes, or not being the targets of threats. If Jewish groups are stating they’re getting threats, how could they not be getting threats? If the threat claims are bogus. So best case scenario, he’s saying maybe the Jews are doing it to themselves.

He’s just generally incoherent, he doesn’t need plausible deniability. If something he says rankles too much, the White House (or another apologist) just claims he never said it, or that clearly he didn’t mean what he said, it was a metaphor or something. Even as he repeats it and makes it clear that’s exactly what he meant.

What’s amazing is the context of his protestations make them all the more hollow. If someone starts denying something that came up in a discussion unrelated to them, it seems more like a confession. Especially in that one case -
“Obviously Jewish reporter: Mr. President, what is your administration’s response to…
Trump: I know your question, sit down and shut up. I’m not antisemitic, you liar! How dare you!”

16 Likes

Why Not Both?

2 Likes

Almost as bad as Trump’s cemetery damage “theory” (or ~ fantasy) though, is the thought that he’s now Commander in Chief and qualifies to be interred at Arlington Natl. ! ! !

That’s an insult to my relatives, friends, (and eventually myself) that earned a spot there…
…Vs. a draft dodging egomaniac…

5 Likes

When you’re a narcissist everything is about you, all the time.

Also, you typically don’t recognize when something you’ve done is wrong, because being god’s gift to the universe means you can’t possibly do any wrong, the problem is everyone else “not getting it.”

11 Likes

Hell right! If I were president I found out that antisemitic attacks were a scheme by my political opponents to make it appear that antisemitism was on the rise under my watch, I wouldn’t be dismissing the situation. There is a rising crisis. I care why people are doing it only in a “know your enemy” sense. It’s the fact that it’s happening that’s the problem.

You’re paraphrasing, of course, but I think you’re actually making him sound better than the actual quotation.

10 Likes

His conspiracy theories are far worse. Once he is interred at Arlington he can’t hurt anything but peoples feelings (not that they should be dismissed).

4 Likes

16 Likes

No one needs to do it for him. He’s already shown he’s more than capable of making himself look bad. That particular response is just one more example.

11 Likes

Not only is it not a contradiction, it’s quite common for people to think “this guy I know is okay” but all those we don’t know are just part of an undifferentiated ‘other’ who are bad for whatever reason.

12 Likes

But he gave a decent speech last night. So … who cares?

3 Likes

You just described politicians, politicians do in fact care about plausible deniability.

1 Like

Yeah, there was more angry denunciation of the reporter and unhinged, over-the-top denial of the completely unspoken accusation that he was antisemitic. That one event pretty much indicated that Trump was, shall we say, the reverse of what he claims to be…

8 Likes

Yeah, the “I am the least antisemitic person you’ve ever met” after telling a man someone to sit down and shut up for asking about antisemitic violence, and scolding him for not asking an easy question (?!?!?). Trump, even if you weren’t obviously very antisemitic, it’s pretty hard to imagine that guy in a yarmulke who asked the question hasn’t met someone less antisemitic. I like to think of myself as pretty much not-at-all anti-semitic, but I’m pretty sure that reporter knows people less anti-semitic than me.

20 Likes

I liked Jon Stewart’s take on it.

“Donald, you’re not even the least anti-semitic person in the clip we showed!”

16 Likes

Indeed:

7 Likes

That the reporter started off by assuring Trump he didn’t think he was antisemitic, and then Trump immediately ignoring - and cutting off - his question because he assumed that because the questioner was Jewish, his question must somehow be accusing him of antisemitism, was itself pretty telling. It was like coming into a kitchen, seeing a child standing next to an empty cookie jar, and the child immediately blurting out, unprompted, “I didn’t take the cookies!” That’s a pretty good indicator that they did, in fact, do exactly that.

18 Likes

So a friend of mine is discounting this story because of heresay. It’s based on a recollection of someone who heard the President speak, and it’s not an actual quote from him. Are there any sources that have actual quotes directly from him?

What counts as an actual quote? Unless there’s a recording, it’s always going to be what someone says he said.

If they think an attorney general is lying on the record, they probably can’t be convinced.

6 Likes

Have some pity on the pundits of manufactured outrage! They too have babies to feed.[quote=“SpaceGhost, post:5, topic:96104”]
people expect the president to at least publicly say “This isn’t good, needs to stop, and I’m putting people on it to try and get to the bottom of this.”
[/quote]

I didnt vote for POTUS Trump and am not really happy with him so far but I think the accusations of anti-semitism against him are manufactured outrage.

That’s neat. Cory is either an agent provocateur who’s desecrating his own people’s graves, or he’s an agent who’s “manufacturing outrage” by telling us what he thinks is happening.

Oh, I’m sure Trump didn’t mean Cory is one of those; he meant those other ones — not that he meant Jews at all, actually. He didn’t say it and we can’t prove he was thinking of that instead of, um, anti-fascists who definitely aren’t Jewish. Did you know Trump’s daughter’s Jewish? And his son-in-law, that’s two Jews Trump knows, so that proves it.

5 Likes