Trump: There were "very fine people on both sides" at Charlottesville white supremacist rally

If you’re interested, I recently listened to Episode 1: Framed of the WaPo’s Constitutional Podcast. Washington owned slaves, but freed them after the death of him and his wife, Adams and Franklin never owned slaves. The founding fathers were all over the place and concessions were made to get a constitution passed. Many brought up slavery, knew it was against their ideals and wanted to address it in the Constitution, but the whole thing likely wouldn’t have been ratified. If I remember they explicitly decided to put the issue off 30 years. They couldn’t even get agreement if there should be a Bill of Rights until after most of them signed it.

11 Likes

I wonder where the Evangelicals were that night? Were they spreading the gospel of love? Were they cowering in their homes?

4 Likes

You should probably just save yourself some time and punch out now.

You really have to be huffing the lost cause mythology to think that even the ‘just here t support general Lee and ma heritage’ types (to the degree anyone so relatively innocuous was in attendance) have a shot at “very fine people” status.

4 Likes

The polls indicate that he has, indeed, lost voters (since the election). Unfortunately, there won’t be a general election for a few years. I agree that he wouldn’t lose supporters, but many were never supporters, but held their noses and voted for him. I realize this concept is not popular among some here at BB.

Some very fine people indeed…

2 Likes

Blockquote I just thought it odd that the author was painting anti-facists as “American” and not the other side.

You know, many of us are trying to be better than our past. I can’t change the past, but I can change the future. While Thomas Jefferson may have meant property owning white men when he wrote “all men are created equal”, he also helped setup a system that has allowed us to expand that definition to include “all people”. We have a ways to go obviously, but we WILL continue. If you don’t believe this progress should continue, get out of the way…

(Edit, by “if you don’t believe” I wasn’t referring to you specifically. Just wanted to make that clear)

7 Likes

Looks like it was a miss in the transcript. Haven’t listened to confirm yet, but a couple sources are saying this.

There were rapists and murderers, and there were some, I assume, who were good people.

11 Likes

Even if we somehow overlook Triumph of the Will, no.

4 Likes

I do have to concede that Adolph Hitler is a very fine (and widely dispersed) cloud of ash.

6 Likes

I gave that man a blow job and afterwards he told me it was the best he had ever had, believe me. The best. And you know who knows a lot about blow jobs? Crooked Hillary. After all Bill got several in the White House. But the fake news media doesn’t want to talk about this.

7 Likes

I’d trust his claims about fighting bigotry like this much more, though:

|<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->|

“So I blew a guy, so what? Look I don’t do it often, but when I do, I give the best blow jobs, ok? Nobody gives better blow jobs than me. Right, Bannon? See, he knows what I’m talking about.”

4 Likes

Wait. The Joker and Red-Skull in the same comic? Who breaks in to save the day in this crossover, Captain American (Hail Hydra!) or The GD Batman?

3 Likes

NO!
No, fuck you!
They are fascists! Racists! Nazis! Countless people in the US and here in Germany died to rid mankind of this cancer. They are the opposite of “very fine people”!

2 Likes

I don’t know - Göring really liked dressing up.
Seriously, this guy was into cosplay way before it became a thing.

NO! Fucking NO! I am willing to grant that there were assholes on both sides. (mini flamethrower guy, I’m looking at you) But one side was virulently racist Nazi thugs and people who were comfortable hanging out with them. If you show up, and those guys are organizing things, you can leave, you can try to kick them out, or you can decide you’re okay with that. The last one puts you firmly in their camp and not one of the “very fine people.” Whose side are you on? They have chosen. “I’m not really one of those guys.” YES YOU FUCKING ARE.

1 Like

“Betty Lou Jenkins…a fine woman. She personally washed and ironed all the Klan robes for the get together in Charlottesville. Don’t they look great? So, yes, there are good people on both sides.”

2 Likes

Bannon, I’m told, does not require Trump’s assistance in this matter.

1 Like