Trump to Guggenheim: lend me your Van Gogh? Guggenheim: Nah, howbout a gold toilet instead?

You sent me looking for a Basquiat/Trump connection. It’s plausible, they were both celebrities in 80s NYC. I couldn’t find one, but I did find this about Trump in Warhol’s diaries. Trump’s a gauche tool of course.

https://www.warhol.org/andy-warhol-talks-about-donald-trump-throughout-the-mid-1980s/

7 Likes

That’s right, he does proudly eat KFC or McD’s for most meals, and drinks gallons of diet coke a week.

Between his age and what he eats, I’d be surprised if he weren’t on the short list for colon cancer.

3 Likes

Or he wanted to steal it. Or have an “oops” moment, covered by the tax payer.
And then steal it.

2 Likes

I keep hoping; something’s gotta get the fucker.

10 Likes

Heart disease seems high on the list as well.

6 Likes

Yes. For example:

And he stiffed Warhol on a commissioned work, because of course he did.

17 Likes

I hope it has a heater. Can you imagine planting your butt on that highly-conductive thermal mass on a cold winter night?

On second thought, the people who own one of those probably don’t turn down the thermostat at night to save energy. Brrrr.

3 Likes

Knowing Trump it would have a fashionable purple shag cover with a soft foam seat.

7 Likes

12 Likes

Yeah well, That’s assuming he has one which is not something I’d bet on.

3 Likes

Very common, actually. I have no desire, talent, ability, or political platform that would ever win me the Presidency, but reaching out to artists and museums to highlight that kind of stuff would be one of the really cool perks of the job (that, and Air Force One, of course).

Of course, it’s Trump – so there’s no genuine love of the thing: Obama highlighted lots of overlooked artists – Reagan not surprisingly had a life long love of Remington and other western artists. Trump, of course, just wants to check the box for “something really fucking expensive”

13 Likes

“Trump to Guggenheim: lend me your Van Gogh? Guggenheim: Nah, howbout a gold toilet instead?”

MiddleFingerGold

Priceless.

12 Likes

13 Likes

Every King needs a throne.

7 Likes

He’s famous and his paintings are worth a lot. Those are the only two things Trump cares about (if the painting isn’t actually of himself). I can’t think of a person who is less artistically sensitive than Trump. The Guggenheim’s response was perfect.

Also:

9 Likes

Let’s not be art snobs, and limit his choices to paintings…

How about “Immersion” by Andres Serrano?

I know, I know. Seems like an awfully unamerican (read “probably one of them Mexskins…”), but what ho! He is a US citizen that has exhibited in 'Murica!

(also, the subject matter would seem to match right up with Donny’s tiny little preferences)

4 Likes

Offering somebody a gold toilet is probably the strangest, yet awesome way to say fuck off I´ve ever seen.

7 Likes

Correction. Donald Trump has 5 gold-PLATED toilets.

His combination of miserliness (see: not paying contractors) and only being interested in how something looks would seem to indicate that the toilet he tells people is pure gold is really only thinly-plated ceramic.

5 Likes

ftfy :wink:  

2 Likes

Oh for his Oval Office to be filled with Mapplethorpe photos. I wish there was an independent commission that dictated the art displayed in the White House and that I was it’s Ajit Pai.

4 Likes