Trump to NY: Stop lawsuits against me if you want Global Entry, then he made 'The Godfather' joke

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/13/trump-to-ny-stop-lawsuits.html

5 Likes

Point of order: “Fredo” is a Godfather reference, not a Scarface reference.

ETA: corrected.

13 Likes

It’s blatant corruption, but it’s not going to change anyone’s minds or have consequences. Cuomo might as well hold firm, since any New Yorker should know by now that the probable result of giving Biff his quo is to get stiffed on the quid.

45 Likes

Well, that’s going to add a little something to the lawsuits, I’d think…

15 Likes

This type of retaliation is 100% illegal. Open and shut, according to lawyer friends.

The only problem is that the GOP has declared that they want trump to be king.

35 Likes

BTW, I file the lawsuits, not the Governor.

Wow. That has to be one of the loudest uses of the “silent apostrophe-dumbass!” terminal clause I have heard.

16 Likes

Might as well start condemning Trump properties for various inevitable building code violations and for unpaid back property taxes.

28 Likes

The Global Entry thing is blatant corruption, but has little direct effect on most of the populace. I fully expect Trump to escalate. Something like, “interdict all shipments into NY because it’s such a hotbed of drugs and crime that obviously everything has to be gone over with a fine-toothed comb”, and let New Yorkers starve until they cave.

Sometimes, I think tribalism has progressed to the point where if Trump ordered the military to wipe out New York City, he’d win the next election by a landslide, because he wouldn’t lose one of his base and he’d have wiped out millions of his opponents.

15 Likes

You’re assuming a system with the rule of law. Our system now has the law of the ruler.

18 Likes

I miss the law too.

34 Likes

We have entered a new phase in our slide into authoritarianism. Brought to you by the Republican party this time.

10 Likes

I miss having presidents that were only moderately corrupt, rather than totally corrupt and also looking for new ways to selfishly act against American interests.

24 Likes

Isn’t it cute how we keep being surprised?

18 Likes

Tangential: the GOP used to claim it was the “states rights” party, but clearly they only care about states rights when it’s a red state, and when it’s over an issue they are fond of, like abortion.

Of course the GOP used to be in favor of a balanced budget amendment, term limits for senators, and a line-item veto as well. Unsurprisingly, they ran on those things but once in power didn’t even try to enact them.

Conservatives are only in favor of conserving one thing: their own power.

29 Likes

I fear that one day I’ll have to explain to my grandchildren that corrupt politicians used to just claim that their actions didn’t break the law instead of openly rejecting the very idea that they were bound by laws at all.

Of course, I’ll need to make sure we’re in a soundproof basement before I whisper such heretical tales of the before-time.

18 Likes

21 Likes

Also – Trump appears to believe that Cuomo, the governor, is responsible for filing these lawsuits against Trump.

He’s not.

The state attorney general is, you big dummy.

Ooooh, you’re saying Cuomo is too weak to even control his own attorney general! BURN! Donald Trump is so beautiful and strong and perfect!

I will now burn my keyboard and bleach my fingers.

12 Likes

Opening Arguments podcast on the topic. The consensus is that Trump’s actions here aren’t even going to come close to succeeding and will be easily swatted down by the judiciary.

Then again, Trump doesn’t care about its actual effectiveness: it’s the (immediate and lingering) troll effect he’s going for; that’s all he ever cares about. By the time this is struck down, we’ll already been onto the implications 10 or 20 other ridiculous Trump actions. This is his modus: constant chaos, to keep his opponents off balance. Why is this, still, so effective?

6 Likes

Deutsche Bank had 9,275 employees in North America, predominately in New York in 2018”

If you guys are having trouble traveling for business- remember that you hold the notes on Donnie’s Jenga collection of “businesses”.

Threaten to pull out a block or two.

24 Likes

The decision makers don’t care. They live in places like Fairfield and have Connecticut drivers’ licenses, anyway. (Also, they all have company-paid Global Entry already. As I understand it, thus far, existing cleared passengers aren’t having their Global Entry status revoked.)

2 Likes