Trump told Cohen to lie to Congress about The Moscow Tower Project

But wouldn’t lying about lying to the feds also be a crime? I also saw the veiled threat of “watch the father-in-law”… A subtle jab to Cohen that dRumph knows where he lives.

2 Likes

I’d entertain this theory if BuzzFeed hadn’t explicitly stated that Mueller had documentation from the Trump Organization first, with Cohen’s testimony corroborating it later.

7 Likes

The father-in-law stuff is particularly silly. Looking it up:

When Pirro asked the name of Cohen’s father-in-law, Drumpf came up empty-handed.

“I don’t know, but you’ll find out, and you’ll look into it because nobody knows what’s going on over there,” he said, an unusual statement by a president regarding a private citizen.

idontknow

I like that. Hmmm… “I don’t know”. That’s nice. “Mr. Mueller, will I finish out my term?” Gee, Mr. “President”, I don’t know!

4 Likes

Threatening a retaliatory investigation into the family member of a person who is testifying against you is a pretty textbook example of “obstruction of justice” in itself.

Or at least it would be if one could convince a court that Trump’s words and actions are motivated by the pursuit of actual goals rather than the chain-of-consciousnesses ramblings of a crazed narcissist.

14 Likes

They did for Michael Cohen’s phone and computers. All you need is one side of the email chain.

9 Likes

Same, but I replace with “competent public servants.”

2 Likes

trump told X to lie is not news. trump told X to tell the truth and only the truth BANNER HEADLINES

I’d used “the adults in the room,” but whatever.

2 Likes

unless there is a recording with his voice, this is useless

I mean really, this is what they are going to try to impeach on? with everything over the past two years and what is going on right now?

and it’s interesting that even if there was a recording with his voice, PEOPLE WOULDN’T CARE, I mean this is the dude who admitted to sexually assaulting women and still got elected, they aren’t going to be calling their senators to impeach

Not true at all. Documentation of paper or emailed conversations are extremely useful in establishing guilt and foreknowledge.

No, this is not the single thing “they’re trying to impeach on”. It’s just the latest awful thing he did to spur on the conversation towards impeachment on a number of charges.

I don’t really care if “people don’t care” (whatever that means). I care that the people who can bring him to task do.

14 Likes

No, what is scary is the fact that there are so many Americans who are so hateful, so racist, so deranged, or so stupid they could believe it was a good idea to elect that jackass. They’re like the body snatchers. They live among humans, they look just like humans, but they are NOT the same as humans.

2 Likes

This is a pretty solid grounds for impeachment if there is solid evidence. What’s the problem with this being the foundation upon which to start the proceeding?

4 Likes

There are a couple of things that make this time different. As others have commented, that it seems that it just isn’t just Cohen’s word versus Trump’s word, but apparently there are other witnesses and more importantly an actual document trail of evidence.

Also different this time is that the Democrats control the House of Representatives. The House Intelligence Committee will be investigating this. If the Republicans were controlling the House, I imagine they would be looking for an angle to deflect against this news.

If Buzzfeeds sources are correct and that there is solid evidence then the Democrats will likely start the impeachment process. At this point, I don’t believe the Republican Senate will convict Trump, but just the process will give this evidence a lot of focus for the American people to see.

6 Likes

If this evidence holds up, the Democrats are likely to start the impeachment process but I doubt the Republican controlled Senate would convict him. That said, I think the national attention the impeachment process would provide would hurt Trump. If this manages to damage his approval ratings with Republicans, while they still might not convict him, but I could see Republicans backing away from Trump in order not to be brought down with him. Which would in turn hurt and slow down his agenda.

That said, with the craziness that the Trump administration has brought, it could easily go a different way.

5 Likes

In a very real sense the definition of an “impeachable offense” is “whatever congress deems an impeachable offense.”

It doesn’t even have to be a single thing, it can be an ongoing pattern of behavior. If this latest abuse of power is the one to tip the scales then all I can say is “about fucking time.”

16 Likes

There’s probably better stuff to be found, for one.

I think the problem some people would have with using this as what gets Trump out of office is not just that they want him out of office, they want him destroyed in the eyes of his followers; shown for all to see that he is the charlatan that we all thought he was, and at long last his supporters agreeing with us.

This might get him out of office, but it’s not going to accomplish that other goal. I’m already seeing the rationalizations on the Breitbart comment threads, “Buzzfeed made it up”, “It’s a massive media conspiracy perpetrated in conjunction with the FBI”, or, lastly, “So what? He wanted to make money, that’s what rich guys do”.

I kind of feel like everyone expected last night that in the light of day that this would be what gets his followers to turn on him. Nope. Not yet. Maybe when the hard evidence is released for this aspect of the story. But, really, probably not. They’ll just say all the same shit as they did today.

1 Like

“Will this be the end of Trump?” is the wrong question. The answer is no. Everybody already knew Trump was a compulsive liar surrounded by crooks. Republican voters don’t care about this stuff unless the Clintons did it. Just because they use laws and lawyers against their enemies doesn’t mean they actually care about the integrity of the process.

This article is about another detail in the historical record. It doesn’t need to be anything else.

4 Likes

Honestly his hardcore base is unlikely to ever be swayed by anything I feel. They’ll stick with their idol to the bitter end, whatever form it takes.

3 Likes

Well, shit. Don’t uncork the champagne yet.

9 Likes

To be accurate, it wasn’t just the Moscow Tower Project…

3 Likes