Trump told Russians in Oval Office that Comey's firing relieved "great pressure," called FBI director "nut job"

Right there with you…

6 Likes

That is beautiful. I particularly love this paragraph:

Behind those witchcraft prosecutions—not Massachusetts’s first, but forever its most infamous—stood the colony’s best-educated men. The political élite had reason to embrace the trials. Together they had recently sent a royal governor packing, in a political coup; they had a fledgling administration to support. At its head sat a barely literate man, rude and reckless, a rascally treasure hunter installed by a beleaguered group of purists eager to safeguard their privileges and padlock their ranks. A weak, absent administrator, he had little interest in governing. He far preferred glorious deeds involving sunken treasures and Indian scalps. He was without political experience; he threw tantrums; he bullied and insulted elected officials. His supporters worried about legitimacy and strained to broadcast proficiency. Having earlier incited a mob to overturn the government, they needed to prove their law-and-order credentials. Political concerns outweighed all else. Close-knit and inbred, those men constituted as much a “real family” as a fraternity. Their business interests coincided. They moved in lock step.

Now why does that scenario sound so familiar? :wink:

16 Likes

Yep, he can be played like a fiddle one of those home organs that you just hold one key down and it plays itself.

1 Like

I am reliably informed by both my teachers that the Russian and the British sense of humour is, basically, identical. The inhabitants of both countries know their rulers are useless and that everything will end badly, and the rest follows.

7 Likes

It’s called “Gallows Humor.”

Like you said, it can be found in places that understand that the eternal battle against societal rot necessitates a bit of goofs and gafs sometimes, lest we become the abyss.

1 Like

They never, ever went away.

1 Like

This also seems to confirm Russian meddling in the election, in that trump tried to create a sense of obligation in the Russians for the situation their meddling put him in. Sort of a ‘look what you made me have to do’. And this comes apparently from an official defending trump? The mind boggles.

Also, based on my original horrible typing, autocorrect seems to want me to change Russian to Prussian. Go figure.

1 Like

Actually that doesn’t make sense. There is something called Prussian virtues. At it’s core are discipline, diligence and incorruptibility. Not exactly virtues Trump embodies.

1 Like

:eggplant: is traditional, these days.

2 Likes

The RICO act. Many republican hands are in the russian cookie jar.

1 Like

Run your finger down the line of succession and tell us how far down you think we’d need to go. Trump, Pence, Ryan, Hatch, Tillerson, Mnuchin, Mattis, Sessions, …?

3 Likes

We might have to get down to one of the Congressional Pages.

1 Like

We will kill until no Harkonnen breathes Arrakeen air.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.