Trump uses racist 'Kung Flu' slur against Asians again, was 'coronavirus' too many syllables?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/23/trump-uses-racist-kung-flu.html

“COVID, COVID-19, COVID, I said what’s the 19. COVID-19, some people can’t explain the 19.”

5 Likes

god he just enrages me. i can’t even

31 Likes

You are not alone my friend.

15 Likes

He said something similar at the Tulsa rally. 18 other COVIDS something something…

Fucking idiot.

17 Likes

Not that Biff or any of his bootlickers would know or care, but the closest literal English translation, assuming Kung being the same usage as in Kung Fu and Flu already in English, would be Excellent Flu or Meritorious Flu.

Fucking racist orange waste of oxygen and his shit-for-brains deplorable fanbase.

30 Likes

Did he get applause when he used that term in Tulsa? Does he think that will convince people to blame China for all the deaths here?

Apparently the law he’s cited for jailing people who tear down statues is the Veterans’ Memorial Preservation Act. It states a person who “willfully injures or destroys, or attempts to injure or destroy, any structure, plaque, statue, or other monument on public property commemorating the service of any person or persons in the armed forces of the United States shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.”

So those confederate statues? They don’t count.

34 Likes

When Trump says “some people…” he always ALWAYS means Trump.

32 Likes

Just going to point out that, while I agree with you in spirit, most of the officers who have statues built for them* were members of the US Army prior to the Civil War, so sticklers might still consider them to count, unless there were formal proceedings to expunge their prior service.

Regardless, the destruction and removal of those statues should stand on its own merit, despite the stupid VMPA.

*and when I say built for them, what I mean is built to intimidate POC, not to commemorate a bunch of loser traitors.

16 Likes

It hinges on what the statue was built for. Commemorating US armed service would count under the law. But most of these confederate statues don’t seem to be about that. They honor thr whole fight-for-states-rights nonsense, which means the statues are commemorating service in the confederacy.* That wouldn’t count.

*based on the plaques I’ve seen accompanying statues. Some may be different.

13 Likes

I think that is his only plan for this virus.

14 Likes

Citizens and residents waging war on the United States meet the constitutional criteria of treason. (Art.III Sec.3) Current USAnians flying stars-and-bars or swastikas ‘adhere’ to wartime enemies of the United States are thus also traitors. The slaver rebellion is properly titled the War of Southern Treason. Rebel officers and officials formerly in Federal service were oath-breaking deserters, usually considered latrine scum. Their statues belong in manure piles.

Back to Kung Flu. “Excellent influenza” isn’t what Donny Boy intended nor what his audience heard. What was communicated was “Gook plague”. Expect more violence against Americans of apparent Asian ancestry.

13 Likes

I really hope not

7 Likes

Oh, definitely not. I meant only to highlight that Cadet Bone Spurs can be cringingly awful in extra ways on top of his overt racism without even trying. An asshole savant as it were.

13 Likes

And I think that would be an insult to the manure. But unless you’ve got something to add related to prior service in the US Army being erased or expunged, you haven’t added anything.

3 Likes

Does that mean if I installed a statue of William Tecumseh Sherman in Atlanta and Savannah Georgia, it would receive that lawful protection against vandals?

6 Likes

Is there a statue of Benedict Arnold anywhere someone can tear down?

I’d pay good money to see him come up with a defense for a statue of a man whose name has literary become 2nd hand for traitor to America

Dead serious- if you could get a standing American president to openly defend the most well known traitor in American history, it would be a hell of a blow to even his warped reality

4 Likes

Just repeating another version of the same nonsense Conway said on TV months ago:

11 Likes

Yes, if the statue was built on federally owned land and the person destroying it either crosses state lines, uses the US postal service, or compels another to do those things.
I’m not saying it’s a good law or that it could not be exploited to protect a racist statue. Just that the law would not apply to most of the staues being torn down.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1369

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember him saying something similar back in February or March. Which means he either knows that his supporters have the attention span of a squirrel or that he has the mental capacity of one. Or both.

3 Likes

True, some people can’t explain the 19. You know, the stupid ones. The ones who voted for him and wear ignorance like it’s a first place prize bestowed upon them by God.

You can’t fight their stupid with facts. It rhymes and is “clever” to them, so fuck facts. They all know what it means, regardless of what it actually means.

12 Likes