Trump: 'We’re getting your husbands back to work'

And white wine! FREE Trump-branded white wine for all you little homemakers out there! …and Trump steaks for your hard-working men!*

*Free while supplies last. Some restrictions may apply. Does not include Shipping and Handling. Offer not valid in the contiguous United States, Hawaii, and Alaska. Trump White Wine is not made with grapes. Trump steaks are not made with USDA approved beef.

11 Likes

The best benzodiazepine. Really, the doctors tell me they’ve never seen benzodiazepine like this. It’s really tremendous.

13 Likes
1 Like

Hey some white people have no idea what the hell ambrosia salad is supposed to be either.

9 Likes

I had to look it up too. On the other hand it’s hard to tell if I can be considered a white person. I guess it depends on which white supremacist you ask.

9 Likes

You appear to be a dragon. I have no idea what the tradition salads from the 60s and 70s for dragons are.

7 Likes

A possum salad for example, but you have to catch a possum first :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I can’t vouch for the accuracy of the following explanation, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

So: in that period, the American middle class expanded rapidly, and a lot more people had a lot more disposable income available to them, even if the wife stayed at home instead of working. And one of the social expectations of the era was that you had to “entertain”, that is, have the neighbors or your friends or co-workers (and occasionally, your boss and his wife) over for a dinner. Suddenly, you have lots and lots of people holding dinner parties who have not done so before, or done much more rarely.

And the housewives no longer have hired help available, so there’s a demand for new (because you can’t just keep repeating a handful of old, tried-and-true recipes, people will notice and think less of you!) easy-to-make recipes, just as there is a supply of new kitchen appliances and more importantly all sorts of new industrial foods – canned, dried, frozen, you name it.

So the result of all this is an avalanche of jellied, mayo-slathered horrors as seen here for example:

15 Likes

Realizing his error, Trump quickly tried to smooth things over by offering everyone bonbons and a much-needed trip to the hair salon to get their nails done.

6 Likes

Screw you, asshole. Taking care of three kids while my wife is at work IS work.

22 Likes

You comment prompted a trip to Lileks.com for the first time in years, so thank you for that.

So as not to get too off topic: Fuck Trump.

5 Likes

giphy(3)

7 Likes

For the good of all of us
Except the ones who are dead

4 Likes

Sweet baby C’thulhu! I think I saw some of those recipes in some Soviet cook books I was gifted back in the day, and sadly at some dinner parties, too…

4 Likes

This pretty much covers it.

8 Likes

But I don’t have a husband! I am not even sure I wanna remarry.

11 Likes

And fins. Fins on cars. That’s what makes America great!

12 Likes

Well, that’s how they work here, apparently.

Blog posts here really do not need umpteen repetitive tweets saying the same thing, unless you’re Xeni.

4 Likes

I’ve seen (and tasted) similar recipes on a scientific conference that felt like a leftover from Warsaw Pact times. Recipes tasted that way too.

2 Likes