Trump: 'We’re getting your husbands back to work'

Yes. We did. It showed up at all church and neighborhood potlucks. As a young wife in the late 70s I may have perpetrated some Jello abominations upon good church-going picnickers myself.

ETA: I have cookbooks with horrifying illustrations.

8 Likes

And you’re still alive! Well done.

6 Likes

I’ve actually got a couple of these, and while they’re good for some old tried and true old school recipes, they’ve also got a LOT of stuff that looks like some sort of joke food not meant to be consumed.

One of the recipes is canned green beans floating in gelatin. I kid you not.

4 Likes

I suspect a rather wide-ranging net was cast when gathering many recipes for some older books. Iffy contributions from inexpert (and suspicious) sources, i.e., companies interested in flogging their products for more varied uses (and greater profit).

Some years back, a co-worker in our department was pushing a rather slim cookbook (a pamphlet really, with color photographs) put together by students at his son’s high school. Done to raise money. So, a few of us are listening to the dad’s spiel. The photos had the rather flat, slightly-faded dead appearance of photos I’d seen in antique store cookbooks. No one there spoke their mind (out of courtesy) except one fellow who said, “These don’t look too good” and “The bowls look like dog food bowls”… and they did. Dad got mad; “Okay, if you don’t want to buy these!” then left the cubicle.

2 Likes

This happened, by the way.

15 Likes

He took the job as president. He is a politician now, even if he is shit at it.

That’s easy to say when people don’t want you dead or tortured, and when arguing against them isn’t seen as controversial.

19 Likes
3 Likes

Yes, yes he was.

From a source that you might better understand:

data_3_0

Oh, and trump is :poop:

23 Likes

This is a chat board linked to a blog, not a journalistic publication. Xeni will express her opinions as she sees fit.

I expect your stay will be short, comrade, enjoy the roast.

16 Likes

Donny-Boy was indeed impeached (indicted) but not convicted and removed, more’s the pity. Look it up.

8 Likes

Though I do appreciate the reminder of that MP skit. It’s high time someone did one of American wine “regions” like Eastern Washington (Domaine St. Darryl) or the New Jersey Wine Country (Chateau Saint Mikey-boy!).

1 Like

3 Likes

I suspect that a bunch of guys in suits were chain smoking in some office brainstorming how to market cream of mushroom soup and the like, and their typical for the time lack of actual cooking experience showed in the results.

Seems like a lot of these “recipes” (and I use that term loosely) were seen in ads in magazines for the products themselves.

4 Likes

It’s accurate, so no. It does not. Unless you believe that the only credible thing to do is to bow down to dear leader and never ever criticize him.

If we can no longer say things that are factual and accurate, then we do not live in a free country anymore. You might enjoy fascism, but the rest of us do not.

I also notice that you’re not taking conservatives to task for their attacks on the basic rights of others. But hey, the REAL problem is saying facts that makes conservatives sad, AMIRITE!

18 Likes

Save water. Waste energy.

Orwell would have laughed himself to death.

2 Likes

Presumably the green beans were removed from the can first, but I’m not completely convinced this would actually improve the recipe.

9 Likes

The can itself would probably contain more nutrition than the green beans.

2 Likes

It works the other way, too. Many “old family recipes” were lifted directly from the food packaging, where the manufacturers actually tried to make their wares edible.

Back to topic, Donny-Boy could probably gain more votes by telling husbands in his ‘base’ that he was sending their wives back to work, giving the guys more time at home to drink beer and watch Fox.

2 Likes

TBH, it usually looked slightly more appetising than the 70s equivalent, which looked like hot vomit in earthenware pots (I mean, it didn’t look like food as such, but at least it had structure and bright colours).

3 Likes

Wait, there’s roast? I thought it was jello salad?
(ETA: Tho I suppose you could make an unholy hybrid of jello salad and baked Alaska, then roast it)

2 Likes