Trump will sign funding bill and declare national emergency in attempt to fund border wall

See, you only need to limit executive power when democrats are in charge, especially when it’s a black guy. When it’s a rich white grifter, it’s all just fine and dandy… /s

14 Likes

Remember, there’ll be a clause saying that there’s no precedent, that the “Emergency Get Out of Constitution Free” ticket can only be used by the (far) Right People, regardless of how they word it.

3 Likes
27 Likes

I fear the actual precedent that will be set will be to forever frame use of the national emergency powers as political and partisan. So every time a Democratic president tries to legitimately use the powers, Republicans will make a stink and try to block them. Any response to a (climate change-fueled) natural disaster will be treated by Republicans like an attempt to advance a “radical environmentalist climate-change fraud agenda” or some bullshit.

I was recently reading about a court case moving forward over attempts to eminent-domain private border land by the government - a case that was part of George W Bush’s efforts to expand the border wall. So yeah, it’ll be stuck in court for a decade-plus before anything happens (either way).
Meanwhile Trump’s national emergency declaration will cause money to be siphoned away from actual emergency needs. (“So sorry about your neighborhood being blown away by a hurricane. We don’t have any money to give you - it’s all being spent to try to prevent people from coming across the border to rebuild it for you.”)

8 Likes

There’s a genuine national emergency in the UK and yet the Govt advises us to scrape the mould off jam and the sister of the ex Foreign Sec is getting her tits out on TV. Hey ho.

5 Likes

How. Is. There. Always. A. Tweet.

19 Likes

“No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.”

— Article I, Section 9, Clause 7

8 Likes

He never shuts up?

10 Likes

It’s unlikely Gorsuch would, either. He’s many flavors of bad, but not that particular flavor.

6 Likes

Kavanaugh would totally go for it, dude, if you bought him a brewski!

9 Likes

The issue is Congress passed a law giving the president the power to spend money for emergencies. So one can argue that is “Appropriations made by Law”. Because this is a legal document and not a computer program one can say “emergency isn’t defined by this other law, but hey this clearly isn’t an emergency” (as opposed to programs “hey emergency wasn’t defined, and it didn’t crash the first 75 times we tried it, so I guess anything you claim is an emergency is one! Emergency wall? Check! Emergency golf pants? Check!”)

…so it will depend on what the courts decide an emergency really is.

3 Likes

No need to Rube Goldberg the logic of it. No one introduced a bill to build the wall until December 2018. Almost 2 years after Trump’s inauguration, and 3 years after he started calling for it. As soon as Democrats were poised to regain majority in the House, it became an emergency? No, only a Trump Toady of a judge would buy that.

10 Likes

Mmmm… You mean like a Kavanaugh?

Trump has been installing judges at an alarming rate. Don’t count on the courts to save you.

8 Likes

4 Likes

the shutdown cost more than what he was asking for…
but he was only asking for a fraction of his wall’s cost.

6 billion(ish) asked for, 60 billion(ish) for the full nightmare, not including any cost overruns, yearly security, perpetual maintenance.

also. i would like to be a billionaire. that is a lot of money.

2 Likes

Replacing Trump. There’s your National Emergency.

19 Likes

Fuckin A:

18 Likes

We need an updated version of the OSS sabotage manual

If the government can’t stop the wall then it is up to the people.

4 Likes

I think @Stripes is referring to the National Emergencies Act. This is probably going to be a good amount more difficult to use then the idiots in the White House probably think. For one thing, depending on which provisions President Trump invokes, Speaker Pelosi and the Democrats have ways to block him.

Edited to add: I want to make it clear that i am in no way a lawyer and am just relying on vague memories of news articles and maybe Some More News by Cody Johnston and a bunch of cuties.

6 Likes

Exactly. Not to mention, distracting the press.

6 Likes