Trump's approval ratings go down the drain among his base

I prefer to think of it as “days until Pence is theoretically eligible for impeachment.”

10 Likes

Seems to me they always claim to have the new testament in mind, but once they have power they go all old testament on everyone. Typical.

ETA: the recent trend in (dis)approval is telling

8 Likes

Actually he dipped well bellow trump levels a year before the crash because the Iraq war had become so unpopular and endless.

1 Like

Nope.

7 Likes

but her emails

2 Likes

I wouldn’t know…I don’t watch FOX.

(jk!)

His Staff will display a Graphic Novel on an Overhead Projector…to make sure his base can. understand

1 Like

Soo much winning

Presumably, they count Jackson as an evil president, but not a bad one. That is, he was good at the job, but did wicked things with the power and authority he had.

1 Like

They really don’t, it was apparent during the midterms. It was all they were talking about and the second the elections were over the caravan talk stopped instantly. The republicans have also had majority since Trump was elected and the wall hadnt moved forward but now that Democrats are poised to take control they are making all this noise. The wall is just a dog whistle for these republicans to try to be relevant to their base because its the only issue that will move them to action (besides gun control)

2 Likes

Mr Ed was a stable genius.

9 Likes

giphy|nullxnull

4 Likes

Is there a different category for someone who is bad at the job but does wicked things etc.?

More to the point it may have permanently altered how ALL politics is done. Unless the Overton Window (also see my comment here) is permanently moved, the only gold in politics will be Trump’s gold (iron trumpyrites?).

The Dems need to wake up and find their own precious metal. Look at the positive reactions (and if not all positive, look at the discussions and coverage that have arisen) as a result of, for example, AOC’s comments so far. She has also struck some valuable political ore as a result of her “70% tax” and “it is not normal to shut down the govt” comments, among others.

Until the opposition fully realises it cannot and MUST NOT play to Trump’s game, and ignores his base and starts mobilising a new base of its own, there will not be progress. You cannot win back these people, you can only outvote them. They (ETA I mean potential Dem voters) also see something different and will be disillusioned non-voters if the Dems just try to do more of what they did before, however effectively they do it.

This theory is also borne out by Labour’s high vote count at the last UK election, with what was, given the Thatcherite political consensus that has persisted since she rose to power, also a very radical manifesto for our times (much of which could have been a Tory manifesto a scant few decades ago!).

There is appetite out there for new politics and new policies, but little for the old. So in US it is likely to be either GOP/Trumpy-style politics from here on in, or something else new. If the Dems think they can regain power with the same old, same old, they may prove to be deluding themselves. I hope not (almost as much as I hope they try to get a bit radical) but I fear this is now the case.

ActuallyARegular’s comment needs to be a warning to all non-populist/non-authoritarian oppositions everywhere - not just the US. Turkey, Poland, Hungary and UK (Brexit) have all shown that these fuckers HAVE hit political gold, and will not stop mining it until the oppositions find something newer and more shiny. The old stuff is tarnished and cannot be polished.

(I love the sound of an analogy strained and creaking almost to breaking point!) :wink:

And while I’m here - reading this is highly recommended on another but related topic. Adapt the headline - “It was never about Trump. Trump is the US’s reckoning with itself” and there is likely a very similar article to be written about what is driving US politics.

Maybe Trump’s victory has never been about support for him and what he stands for, but about what America forgot it was, forgot to continue to be.

8 Likes

Agree with what you have said, but I fear you are leaving out a significant contributor to the global shitshow, in that Russia has made a tactical decision to fund, back and engage in cyberattacks for the benefit of, these “pseudo-nationalistic” movements. I have to wonder how many of them would have reached the heights they have without that tactical and financial backing. As I have said elsewhere, the Kremlin czars must be exhausted from their happy dancing over the unimaginable success this strategy has realized. Who could have believed that in the space of just a decade or less the underpinnings of the western bulwark against Soviet/Russian expansion could be this thoroughly compromised?

6 Likes

Fully agreed. Although Putin was probably pushing on a broken door already in most cases. The rise of UKIP, Trump, etc. was a symptom of a condition he was able to exacerbate.

Russia would have been much less likely to get any traction (overtly or otherwise) with Eurosceptic Tory MPs (John Major’s ‘bastards’), or with rational, traditional Republicans, on their own. But with Farage and then Banks, and with Trump et al, traction was almost being openly offered to Russia.

But you are still correct. Russia actively decided to sow chaos and confusion, fund it and propagate it, anywhere that might serve its interests.

5 Likes

In short, the password to our democracy was “password.”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.