Trump's "China muse" advisor has been citing a made-up economist for years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/16/trumps-china-muse-adviso.html

3 Likes

Inventing an alias that allows you to spout your anti-Chinese racism like it’s some sort of wisdom certainly displays a level of dedication to the grift. That no one seems to have either noticed it or had an isssue with it until now is sadly not surprising

15 Likes

SHOCKED! I’m shocked that there was grifting going on here!

11 Likes

economist named Ron Vara, the self-proclaimed “Dark Prince of Disaster,”
“Ron Vara” is also an anagram for “Navarro.”

18 Likes

It doesn’t surprise me that even Navarro’s “heroic” alter ego is an asshole.

As for weird alter egos - Trump, Navarro… who else? I’d expect more, as Trump attracts like-minded grifters and narcissists to his orbit.

12 Likes

Would that I had more than one upvote.

1 Like

I hear Ron Vara is very good friends with John Barron.

27 Likes

They go waaay back. They met during basic when they’d been drafted for 'Nam.

14 Likes

Ahhh, good ol’ Peter Rabbit, as he’s known in the field. This regime has more frauds in it than Barnum’s American Museum did.

And he still got away with it for years.

Just like his boss.

18 Likes

Hey @navarro what have you been hiding from us? :smirk:

14 Likes

i am delighted to tell you that i am no relation to nor do i have a relationship with the above noted peter navarro.

19 Likes

tumblr_pzfwjbNLmN1xoaai3o1_540

20 Likes

Not to mention that Navarro is widely dismissed by most legitimate economists as a crank and a phony. So of course he would find his way into the stupidest administration ever assembled.

11 Likes

This is what I was thinking. With that level of sneakiness, Scooby Doo would have solved it in, what, 15 minutes?

8 Likes

And yet your user name is an anagram of “Ron Vara”.

Hmm…

15 Likes

Barry

7 Likes

Amazingly, there is exactly one valid anagram for Trump: Mr. Put.
Which is now the only thing I’ll be calling him.

3 Likes

Mr. Old Nad Put is his full name.

9 Likes

If he was generally seen as an author of fiction rather than fact, you can understand why actual economists stayed in their lane and didn’t criticise the use of a wish-fulfillment-fantasy Mary-Sue character (‘the self-proclaimed “Dark Prince of Disaster,” who made his money off stocks from companies profiting off of international crises’).

4 Likes

The only thing about that post that is a surprise is that picture of Wilbur Ross isn’t an eye-mouth switch shop.

wilbur

Also:

LULZ

8 Likes