Trump's description of cognitive test he 'aced' is extremely weird

Well I certainly don’t approve of worrying about knowing the day/date. Maybe 30 years ago that might have been important but these days? That’s as pointless as knowing how to read a watch upside down. I’m pretty sure I haven’t known the day/date without checking for decades; it simply hasn’t mattered to me. No more relevant than knowing your longtitude/latitude to 5 figures.

5 Likes

Second 48 in the first video, he even looks at them.

6 Likes

I read through all the comments above and maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see anyone who said Trump actually did a reasonably competent job of describing one of the memory tests given for evaluating cognitive function (word recall performance, part of the Wechsler Memory Test): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3637654/

Well, give the man a mother fucking cookie.

8 Likes

So, the second-rate dumbass version of this:

5 Likes

Honestly the ending of The Usual Suspects was kind of a dumbass plot twist if you stop to think about it for a few seconds since the whole story revolved around supercriminal Keyser Söze going through incredible lengths to protect his identity only to learn he was really the narrator, purposely dropping hints about being Söze just to have a couple hours of fun toying with a cop.

Like, why… everything that happened in the movie then?

6 Likes

If I’d only watch films with plots that made sense my DVD collection would fit in one shoe box.

20 Likes

This is exactly what I thought; no way could he remember the truly random collection of five words in the actual test.

So there’s that, and also here’s what’s subconsciously important to him, in ascending order (Fox woman, Fox man, camera, TV).

2 Likes

Funny, last time we moved house I packed my DVD collection in a shoe box. But not all movies in there make sense, e.g. it contains El Topo. :grinning:

1 Like

Can someone please start a rumor questioning his fertility so we can watch the POTUS bragging about his manliness and everything that‘s going on „down there“ in every upcoming TV interviews?
Wait, probably already on the Trump‘s campaign agenda.

4 Likes

This may actually become less of a marker for memory in the future. With less reliance on land lines and people not bothering to take their phone number with them when they switch providers, the actual numbers become less important. Will tests of the future ask for email addresses instead? Twitter handles?

I know, it has nothing to do with President Biff having to be tested for dementia and bragging about it, but it’s just an interesting fact that was rattling around in my scatterbrain.

8 Likes

I was thinking exactly the same thing. When he had to make up a list he’d have to remember, the best he could do was name things that were in front of him.
The Guardian explained the test in some detail, and the list of words is far more random than Trump’s list, and also doesn’t come 15 or 20 or 25 minutes after the first time (notice how he habitually inflates the numbers he pulls out of his ass).

11 Likes

Or out of 35 if you get bonus points.

5 Likes

Other than his describing the test as “difficult” and choosing examples that were probably in front of him, I don’t see what’s so weird. It’s… actually a pretty accurate description of the test? I’ve seen my Dad take it, and I’ve taken it myself as part of a research study. They give you a list of words and you have to repeat it back to them after some time has passed. I’m not sure how scoring works, but it sounds entirely possible that you only get full credit for doing the words in order in addition to remembering them all. Not exactly “bonus points”, since it’s a cognitive test, not a game show or something, but frankly this is the most coherent sentence we’ve gotten out of him in… months? Years?

I can never remember your phone number. I tried calling you to check, but…I don’t have a phone.

2 Likes

“If you get it in order, you get extra points.”

5 Likes

3 Likes

There are two weird things here:

1. That he thinks bragging about being able to do a simple cognitive test makes him seem smart,
  2. He’s not even remembering the test correctly, according to those who routinely give it. Like, at all. The test has a word recall bit, but everything else he’s said about it is wrong.
11 Likes

Remember this?

4 Likes

He’s been subjected to hundreds of deadly-serious tests of character, competence and decency in the last 3.5 years. The fact he’s so proud of passing this test, which most people would be chagrined to even have to take, highlights exactly how qualified he thinks he is for the job he technically holds.

Yes, it’s the same relation he has to superlatives and modifiers. Words and numbers serve no purpose except to help you insist shit. Bigger is better, it doesn’t matter what you’re talking “about”. Ask him how many fingers he has, and he might start with “ten” but if he’s not sure he’s beaten you with that answer he’ll up it to twenty, maybe more, very huge fingers, the most you ever saw.

12 Likes