Trump's goons also gassed and grenaded St. John’s clergy, says reverend

If you mean this by that Episcopalians are tolerant and forgiving, then maybe.

I was raised in the Episcopal church (atheist now) and Episcopalians were always a mixed bag of political philosophies. However, there was a fissure between the conservative and progressive practitioners that begun over 30 years ago and as a result, the conservative group has since split off and can be found in the loosely grouped Worldwide Anglican Communium of churches.

The Episcopal Church that has survived is predominantly progressive these days, and its churches and dioceses are often headed by women, POC and LGBTQ people. I would say that they are civil rights fighters who might be greatly bothered by oppression.

13 Likes
8 Likes

Isn’t that the post-brexit British national anthem?

3 Likes

Not a single Republican official is willing to say even the slightest thing in criticism of this bullshit. Not even the “good ones” like supposed never-Trumper Mitt Romney, who voted to impeach him. This thread goes on for a while.

And of course, McConnell manages to out-wretched everyone else by a country mile.

15 Likes

Formal separation isn’t quite nothing to do with.

The Episcopalian Church split off the Anglican Church so rebels wouldn’t be involved with an arm of the British state, venerating the British Crown.

Save a few Quakers and those maybe Atheists, all of the Founding Fathers were Episcopalians.

And they’re one of the few modern denominations to still have significant influence from all those Deist ideas that were very, very, important to forming the ideological basis for this country.

On top of that one of their highest ranking bishops is an openly gay (and gay married) woman. And they’ve been repeatedly almost tossed from the Anglican Communion over their stance on gay rights.

So Trump has specifically gassed the Founding Father’s Gay Church.

11 Likes

Thread:

12 Likes

This reminds me of Bible passages describing the end times in which the Antichrist stands in the temple. The abomination that causes desolation indeed.

14 Likes

In case anyone is curious, THIS is what a violation of people’s first amendment religious rights actually looks like.

27 Likes

Would you buy a very slightly used bible from this man? He claims it slices. It dices. It even makes julienne fries (cause they’re his favorite)

Step Right Up!

7 Likes

Can I have it disinfected first?

Welcome, Happy Mutant :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Personally ordered by AG Barr:

Document the atrocities. Remember. Swear vengeance. No “let’s move forward,” no “let bygones be bygones.” Scrape these bastards and the ideology behind them into the Diaper Genie of history, and fire that thing into the sun.

I’m am out of fucks when it comes to fatalism and cynicism. That’s surrender. That’s compliance.

Register, validate your registration, get your ID, know the rules, know your polling place, make a game plan. Help others do the same.

18 Likes

Still reading the thread, but the impression I’m getting is this was his “Hail Hydra” moment.

19 Likes

and just think: this man ( i use the term loosely ) is the very best the gop had to offer.

fing incredible.

6 Likes

It’s working for them.

Perfectly

8 Likes

I am non-theist now, raised Episcopalian. I still care about good religious people when I find them.

This is about the most blasphemous thing I can imagine Trump actually doing, other than wiping his own ass with that thing.

And this is coming from a guy that loves antichristian black metal. A lot. I know blasphemy when I see it- and this guy’s pretty damned blasphemous. Burning a church down is one thing- fundamentally perverting its meaning while gassing and shooting it’s believers- that’s more evil than anything church burnings ever did in my view. (my religious views are complicated to say the least)

Next time I’m listening to Mayhem, Burzum, or Carpathian Forest, and someone complains about the lyrics being blasphemous, I’ll remind them of the shit Trump pulled being worse- and put my headphones back on.

3 Likes

Who, exactly did the clearing/gassing? Was it cops or Secret Service? I guess cops. Utterly, fuckwittingly dumb to do this when a line of cops moving people back and erecting barriers would surely have been the thing to try first?

Again, I posit my ‘Secret Service trying to make him look bad’ fantasy theory. Maybe the SS (yes, I know what I did there) told the cops to clear a space “STAT!!”, knowing what the outcome would be. (Yeah, in my dreams. Never ascribe to conspiracy that which is more readily explained by fuckwittery.)

1 Like

Or, potentially more disturbing - not the “best” they had to offer, just the one that was the most popular with voters.

4 Likes

I’m a visual person, and I like maps, so it occurred to me that looking up what churches were nearest to the White House would be helpful for me to visualize what happened.

This particular church is 1) physically the closest place of worship to the White House in any direction and 2) exactly across the street from the main gate.

And even then, they felt they had to use teargas and a literal wall of people on both sides so that he could walk approximately 100 feet without looking like a scaredy-cat.

Meanwhile, Biden (not my favorite candidate by a long shot) was photographed inside a church surrounded by black clergy, all were wearing masks, and he was kneeling. So much more real leadership in that photo.

21 Likes

That subtle difference between someone who is at least a bit of an asshole and someone who absolutely revels in being one.

14 Likes

He’s no one’s favorite. But he is immensely better than Trump and more likely to have positive policy changes and supreme court nominee choices, for just a few examples.

The fact he’s on the ground instead of in a bunker or marching to a photo op shows a complete difference in character.

In local news, the KCMO Mayor Lucas also is on the ground level. Maybe one of the reasons our protests have been fairly tame and the police response fairly tame. Not perfect, but nothing like I am seeing elsewhere.

7 Likes