Trump's "I know nothing" defense exposed as a lie

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/20/trumps-i-know-nothing-defense-exposed-as-a-lie.html

10 Likes

IkNOWnOTHING

67 Likes

It’s not a new thing. I’ve always marveled at politicians and CEOs who use incompetence as a defense.

“Sir, you say you’ve never heard of and know nothing about the Proud Boys. Yet your national security advisors include them in the list of white supremacist groups that they say pose the gravest domestic terrorist threat today. Are you lying, or are you just that incompetent?”

Alas, nobody gets to ask those questions.

45 Likes

Occasionally! More like seldom makes any use of the truth.

9 Likes

His lies are so so obvious! It is disheartening that it actually needs this kind of reporting (it totally does) and even worse that for a significant portion of the electorate it makes no difference.

12 Likes

Yeah! Its infuriating! This is exactly the next question that should be asked by every reporter after he says something like this, until he answers.

13 Likes
12 Likes

Reminds me of Reagan. Another TV/ movie star catapulted into office (albeit after as stint as the governor of california)

8 Likes

We already know that trump LIES ALL THE TIME. How much value is there in directing how many different kinds of lies he is telling? Leave that to the prosecutors, and lets make sure people vote.

7 Likes

John Banner (the actor who played Sgt Schultz) was an Austrian Jew.

His acting troupe was playing in Switzerland when the Anschluss happened. He emigrated to the US, but his family was murdered in the Holocaust.

19 Likes

Hasn’t the Lincoln Project made a montage of all Trump’s “I don’t know anything…” quips yet?

I guess claiming ignorance all the time is a surefire way to appeal to the ignorant.

“Why heck! He’s as dumb as me! I’m totally gonna vote fer 'im!”

9 Likes

Trump determines how any issue affects him personally and politically before deciding how to act. America is secondary. Fortunately he lacks the empathy required to see himself the way that others do.

6 Likes

So… he knows one thing?

When I think of the people voting for him everything in me screams" can’t you see he doesn’t care about you , he doesn’t care about about the people that make up your country". how can these people not see that, then I think of the dozen or so times I’ve tried to intercept a known con artist with his mark , or alert some on Las ramblas they were being targeted. and 9 out ten they look at you like your nuts and think you are the threat. I honestly think it good to go back to square one and find every right wing christian contractor ( people his base will relate to) that he stiffed and find the best heart wrenching stories for a twenty minute mini documentary.

5 Likes

It’s a self-damning “defense,” but it’s especially egregious when Trump tweets something out, and then when called on it, claims ignorance about it. If you really don’t know what you’re supporting, don’t fucking tweet about it. It’s such a fundamental rule, yet…

Me too. Specifically he reminds me of Reagan after the dementia set in. Seriously - there’s a lot of similar/identical behavior. At the very end, Reagan was apparently sitting around watching tv all day, not actually aware, much less involved, in what his administration was doing. That was Trump from the start.

12 Likes

11 Likes

It’s a fig leaf for CNN et al because they haven’t done much of anything to check the influence of his lies for the past 4 years.

4 Likes

Vladimir Putin? I’ve never heard of him, I know nothing about him. I guess he’s the supreme leader of Russia and has very nice things to say about me, but I don’t know, I don’t know anything about him…

5 Likes

Incompetent or ignorant. Pick one, and own it.

4 Likes

…or stomps away in a hissy fit, as he is so often wont to do

…or flops onto his belly, drumming the floor with his tiny fisties and mouth-flavored feet while screaming - another fave toddler tantrum[p] trick

1 Like