Trump's incoherent word salad elicits applause

Not necessarily. You’re assuming he’d listen.

16 Likes

Yeah, as much as it pains me to admit there might be something almost coherent under that pile of dung spilling forth from him, there’s actually a pattern to it! (You do an excellent job of following the formula here.) As long as you don’t pay attention to the actual meaning of the words used, there is a kind of logic.

I long, long time ago, I was one of the creators on the Discworld MUD. One of the NPCs I created had several templates to draw from which had variables that would be filled in from different lists of words, some from the Discworld stories, some from ideas within the MUD itself, and some just completely random.

Listening to that NPC talk, even though I wrote the code and therefore knew exactly how it was done, she actually sounded like there was some sense to what she was saying, but it was always just out of your grasp. If only you listened a little more, perhaps she’d tell you something important and profound …

Seems familiar, doesn’t it?

27 Likes

Wow! Discworld MUD. I lived there for some time. I was obsessed. It was a thing of beauty.

Now I’m having pickling stick withdrawls.

4 Likes

That’s where my user name here (and almost everywhere else) came from – this was my Creator name. :smiley: (The avatar is from elsewhere, of course!)

4 Likes

You would think at least one reporter would explain to Hair Furor tariffs do not work like he thinks tariffs work.

4 Likes

Ahh, nothing stokes enthusiasm like contractually obliged enthusiasm.

2 Likes

Maybe they were clapping because they were glad he stopped talking.

9 Likes

or maybe because a gang of his brown shirt goons were waiting to break bones on those who didn’t clap.

5 Likes

Those are just typical British rural place names, like Clyffe Pypard, Draycot Foliat, Lydiard Tregoze, Meysey Hampton

2 Likes

It’s the ones holding the stopwatches that need paying attention to.

1 Like

Most of the crowd hears that kind of thing at church - it’s clearly speaking in tongues, or glossolalia for the ones with a multi-syllable vocabulary.

4 Likes

A friend of mine in Taiwan shared with me that Trump plays well to audiences who do not speak English due to similar “sanewashing” that happens in translation.

10 Likes

They used to say the same about Reagan. He blathered out some shitty word salad but people understood the message: we are the in group that are good! Down with the out groups!

It’s considered “clever” by media commentators.

12 Likes

Same here in Brazil.

And of course because of influencers who make complimentary comments about him and many denigrating his enemies and things he doesn’t like. So, if it’s not something coming from Trump, it must be the very dangerous woke.

5 Likes

The woman ( Reshma Saujani, founder of Moms First and Girls Who Code) who asked the question about child care policy was later quoted as descibing Trump as “unfit for office”.

10 Likes

If ‘sanewashing’ isn’t the word of the year for 2024 I will be disappoint.

10 Likes

It’s the silence of an AM radio tuned between stations… faint snippets of gibberish and the occasional splash of static when a random neuron fires.

4 Likes

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

1 Like

What neuron?

2 Likes

Millennium hand and shrimp.
Buggerit.

2 Likes