Trump's plans to golf in Turnberry during Biden swear-in get scotched by First Minister

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/05/trumps-plans-to-golf-in-turnberry-during-biden-swear-in-get-scotched-by-first-minister.html

18 Likes

Haha! If it’s overruled somehow by the Tories then independence is more likely. Your move Al de Pfeiffel.

23 Likes

I know that Trump supporters have probably already convinced themselves that it’s perfectly normal for a loyal, hard-working American President to finish out the final hours of his term by fucking off to play golf in another country, but darned if I can figure out how.

Kind of wondering if he was just planning to abscond with Air Force One while he still had a chance.

50 Likes

Theoretically, don’t they pretty much have to let him in as a head of state?

Though it becomes interesting at noon ET on January 20 when he ceases to be a head of state and they theoretically can begin proceedings to deport him.

19 Likes

34 Likes

Why would that make any difference? Any courtesy extended to a foreign head of state is just that—a courtesy.

41 Likes

Perhaps Trump’s attempting to ensure that he’ll be in a location where authorities can’t slap cuffs on him at 12:01pm on 1/20, where he can put on a fight against extradition, and/or where it’s easier to escape to another country.

27 Likes

Yeah, but he’ll only be head of state for the day he’s coming in. Then he’ll be an ex-head of state, and rather than deporting him, he’ll be subject to the same lockdown orders as everyone else, stuck there for the month. (During which time the Scottish government might be looking at his properties in relation to money laundering, with the eventual aim of confiscating them.)

Apparently it’s not Air Force One, but another plane he sometimes uses for overseas trips (and is more often used by the VP). But he’d lose access to that almost immediately after arriving, so…

But those courtesies are extended to Trump as American president (and despite Trump being Trump). Of course, as soon as the swearing-in ceremony is over, so is that courtesy…

12 Likes

Have to think Scotland would not be the sort of place where that is best possible. I do not think the Scots think very highly of Il Douche.

(off topic, but I see your Castle Eilean Donan and raise you the ancestral home of my clan:

This here be Castle Duffus, and yes, for many of you, this will explain a lot!)

36 Likes

Neat. My grandma was a McKinley. I dunno if we had a castle. Supposedly we are distant cousins to the president. (McKinley, not Trump).

10 Likes

The guy that is telling the entire world that the deep state is destroying democracy, the guy with all these secrets and names and whatever… is going golfing.

11 Likes

The courtesy is not owed in either case. I’m glad that they aren’t extending it here.

18 Likes

If he flies over the day before, then due to the time change he will awaken on January 20 to find the Scots no longer refer to him as “President Shitgibbon.” He’ll just be “Shitgibbon.”

25 Likes

I’m not sure they aren’t extending it here - they’re asking him not to come. No country wants to fail to extend every courtesy to the US president, just because of precedent and reciprocity. Though I feel pretty sure they won’t be extending that courtesy if he stays after the clock strikes midnight and he turns back into a (non-presidential) pumpkin, so to speak.

6 Likes

I don’t think the Scots call him president now, or have done at any point in the past.

12 Likes

So… uh… technically if he is golfing during the swearing in… at the end of playing golf, he is no longer president.

Is… is there any requirement that Air Force One STAYS once they drop him off? Can they just take off back for America and he comes back and is like “I thought I parked my plane here…”

Can Biden order the plane back? I mean, he won’t. He isn’t that petty. But my god would that be hilarious.

24 Likes

Trying to flee the country, to play golf, to avoid reality.

Pathetic doesn’t even come close to describing this crotch fungus human.

I bought champagne to celebrate when he’s gone. Which can’t come too soon.

25 Likes

My first thought, too. Dude’s a flight risk - revoke his passport and keep him here until one of the state AGs comes for him!

25 Likes

He just wants one more chance to boost his golf count over Obama’s

12 Likes

Air Force One is the callsign for the aircraft that the President is travelling in.

Usually one of these is used:

7 Likes