Trump's threat: 'Get rid of the ballots' — 'there won't be a transfer, frankly, there will be a continuation'

It seems to me that any argument that at its core relies on some version of “he can’t do that, the rules don’t allow it…” might be missing something fundamental about the situation we are seeing unfold.

13 Likes

I don’t think that’s remotely possible. I can’t see any scenario in which there are enough Democratic senators to successfully remove him.

Just in case you need a reminder:

Go Vote

4 Likes

Not saying I have any better ideas than anyone else, but here is what me and my family have been doing since 2016. Vote, donate to campaigns, phone bank etc. and volunteer to work the elections if you are able. When there, make sure the rules are followed and no one is disenfranchised. Meanwhile, get to know your neighbors, join local groups and organizations, build real relationships with people in your local NAACP, ACLU, LULAC, unions, religious leaders, activists. Listen and learn from people who have been been fighting this fight for decades. Make sure people know you’re someone who works and gets things done with minimum posturing and circular complaint. Make sure your city government knows you by name and know where you stand.

Organize, organize, organize.

10 Likes

@milliefink

To what NickyG said, I would add: lay in supplies so you can participate in a general strike that may need to go weeks or longer.

6 Likes

This. Every time Trump is given an opportunity to answer a question about this sort of thing, he doesn’t answer like a public servant, regardless of his actual intentions, when it would be so easy for him to do so. A public servant who wants to keep his job is completely understandable. A wannabe dictator who can’t keep himself from saying the quiet part loud, not so much.

5 Likes

You know all those voters who put Biden placards up on their lawns? Utter waste of time. Ain’t gonna convince anyone. But putting these up would at least show the right sort of intent. Imagine if millions of voters put model guillotines (or even pics of guillotines) on their lawns.

And the guerrilla campaigners can go around sticking guillotine pictures on the Trump placards.

(ETA
I want there to be a future timeline where I can respond to one of these threads with a cheery: I’m guillotining, right now!)

4 Likes

That Twitter thread seemed to be less about how it couldn’t happen because of the rules, which at this point everyone knows Trumpublicans don’t care about, and more about the amount of political capital they’d have to burn. They’re more used to supporting Trump either through inaction, or through indirect action, because they are, by and large, cowards. Stealing an election through positive action seems too overt, even for them. But who knows, seems like I’m treading pretty close to optimism here, which for 2020 is probably a huge mistake.

4 Likes

This is dumb. The reporter simply needed to add “If you lose the election,” to his question and we wouldn’t be burning news cycle on this. He would have said he’s not going to lose or it’ll be rigged or some other BS but, asking him if he’ll leave peacefully while framing the question as an assumed loss is poor journalism.

My wife volunteered to as a poll worker for November. Partly because it’s the right thing to do, but partly because we know the extreme right wing influence in our area and that we have a large Hispanic population. So, we are looking at it as almost “operating behind enemy lines” to see how thing are handled and at least bear witness if there are in fact shenanigans.

13 Likes

With the reflective, “you know, for quite some time this would have been considered gauche, but then… .”

1 Like

What kind of classy organization keeps an incoherent, demented, spiteful person like this as their CEO?

Oh yeah - the Republican Party!

No way.
His own Supreme Court judges won’t allow that.
Once my President appointed them, they are forever free to vote their conscience.

January 20th, 2021: “Mr. President, your helicopter is waiting to take you to your golf course.”

4 Likes

It is literally the same thing:
Will you ensure a peaceful transition of power?
We’ll see. If I lose it’s because it’s rigged.

Will you ensure a peaceful transition of power if you lose?
I won’t lose. If I lose it’s because it’s rigged.

Both of these are refusing to commit to a peaceful transfer of power. The way it is asked is better, because there is still a transition from first term to second, and if Trump ‘wins’ (e.g., by shenanigans) it won’t be peaceful either.

7 Likes

+1000

I have been doing this with foodstuffs, I have a good 3-4 weeks of nonperishables on-hand. Might get some bottled water as well, although if there’s an issue with the water supply we’re genuinely in deep shit. But hey, bottles of water will be good to have at street protests, as well as nonperishable food that can be thrown in the backpack.

3 Likes

I just want to say that we are lionizing RBG, and no doubt she was a towering figure, but her Ralph Nader-like ego has put us in a situation where Trump could actually do what he’s planning to do. They are going to appoint a degenerate troll to the SCOTUS, in the mold of Scalia, and the 3 Trump appointees plus the obsequious buffoon of Thomas and the Attila the Hun-esque Alito have already made up their minds about what ever election question comes up, valid question or not. If RBG stepped down, as she should have, you would have had Roberts as the deciding vote on the likely fraudulent case, who has proven that he puts the country before party.

But succumbing to her ego, she risked undoing everything she fought for. And it’s looking more and more like it’s going to be the reality we face.

2 Likes

Blaming RBG isn’t helping.

21 Likes

jon-stewart-finger

26 Likes

You know, that is a different topic that has been hashed over at great length in other threads. Here’s a link to one. Yes, it’s closed, but read through it, and you’ll find plenty on this “issue” you are bringing up here. And bless your heart.

11 Likes