Trump's VP pick widens the ideological gap

The old racist is the wedge. The young racist is the one they actually want in place.

26 Likes

That book was problematic in lots of ways, particularly for saying that the way to fix this country is for government to stop interfering and for millions of poor, disadvantaged people to just pick themselves up by their bootstraps, but it also has a few quotes that may come back to haunt Vance in this campaign. I like the one about the Obamas:

34 Likes

Many of Trump’s closest allies have said worse things about him than most of his adversaries have.

23 Likes

I was really hoping Biff was going to get his hopes up and then pick someone else as punishment for his past statements. Instead we have one of the most dangerous fascists in Congress as his running mate (and possibly future President).

If there’s any particular appeal for Il Duce in this choice, I’d imagine it’s a grifter’s appreciation of how skillfully Vance has victim-blamed the white working class MAGA base (whose economic suffering is the result of Reaganism and neoliberalism) and gotten them – along with “liberal” corporate media outlets like the NYT – to nod along.

If you want to get an idea of how nasty this creep is, I’d highly recommend this episode of the “If Books Could Kill” podcast.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IfBooksCouldKill/comments/11zi783/if_books_could_kill_episode_hillbilly_elegy/

15 Likes
13 Likes

Obama was the closest we’re gonna get - he was slightly too early to be a gen xer, but he’s the closest culturally.

Could Be Anything Is Possible GIF by Achievement Hunter

11 Likes

Trump is the known, the figurehead. He’s not smart, he’s old, he’s unfit. He’s electable, by name recognition, but he’s not who the Republicans want.

The younger guy is the Project 2025 Christian Right Posterboy. He brings nothing else to the table, electorally speaking, but he does represent the GOP values of late. He’ll be useful.

This has never been about Trump. Trump is just the expendable wedge, he’s just never worked that out.

32 Likes

Well Harris is younger than Obama. If she were born a year later, she’d be Gen X.

16 Likes

I think that’s likely right… he’s been useful for energizing the base, and bringing in new members to the far right cause… Vance is young and could be around for quite a while.

True! She’s also probably more culturally like a Gen Xer…

13 Likes

Hey Melania, look at who your husband associates with before you say his shooter saw him as “inhuman”.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Trump thinks he’ll be around forever.

The GOP just made their Plan B.

23 Likes

Oh look… people fucking obsessed with the fucking roman empire and how all politics must fit into that somehow… That’s not fucking tedious at fucking all…

sassy alcohol GIF

16 Likes

Vance is short, Burgum is tall. Trump doesn’t wanna get overshadowed by a tall guy.

Also, Vance has been insanely obsequious to Trump since getting into office, and he doesn’t necessarily give the vibe that he’s looking to bump off Trump so he can take over, which isn’t the case with other buttkissers, like Greene or Hawley.

The main disadvantage for Vance is he’s got only a little more charisma than Ted Cruz.

14 Likes

In demeanor alone, he, like Tucker Carlson, is the quintessential “insufferable douchebag who lives at the end of the hallway in your freshman dorm.”

21 Likes

Some people are impressed by said douche bags and think that their constant spouting of Ayn Rand and Reagan is some kind of evidence of their smarts…

12 Likes

I don’t think Trump takes “America’s Hitler” as an insult. :confused:

Anyway. Fuck JD Vance.

29 Likes

These days that’s considered a complement among many MAGAts.

Same here. Burgum seemed like the obvious choice: an obsequious and empty husk of a man with no real personality or ambition that Trump could project anything he wanted onto. (Sort of like Mike Pence, come to think of it.) JD Vance on the other hand is highly ambitious and outspoken. I never figured Trump would pick someone that would have any risk of taking attention away from him or outshining him in any way.

16 Likes

30 Likes

And they’re skipping the Knives at the Theater scene.

5 Likes