Trump's VP pick widens the ideological gap

13 Likes

In the long tradition of bitter HS debate club nerds who felt their “brilliance” wasn’t adequately appreciated by peers and teachers. I think every dorm has at least one of these dudes in it – I know mine did.

Revenge and retribution against those they think wronged them is always on their agenda (e.g. Newt Gingrich). And as @Mindysan33 says, Atlas Shrugged is their bible for rationalising their rage against the world.

14 Likes

I didn’t think the ear thing was quite as bad as being stabbed 23 times, but who knows. :unamused:

6 Likes

16 Likes

Fascists, always with the phrenology.

23 Likes

Yep. He is a degenerate of the highest order.
And while Trump has tried to distance himself from Project 2025, Vance is all in with it.
Given that if Trump wins (which, lord help us, he does not) he will be the defacto president for a variety of reasons in the same way Darth Cheney was.
And that is fucking scary.

21 Likes

JD Vance, if one ever wondered what sentient mashed potatoes would look like.

13 Likes

I’d argue he wants to take it further. He’s not only Renfield to noted vampire Peter Thiel, but also a fan of neo-reactionary/Dark Enlightenment crank Curtis Yarvin (AKA “Mencius Moldbug”). There’s now a real possibility that someone who hates democracy as much as they do will be the VP of the United States.

17 Likes

I don’t know if this is true, but somebody said Doug Burgum is taller than Trump. Vance is like 5’7". If that’s true, then I see why Trump chose Vance over Burgum.

21 Likes

And the proverbial heartbeat away from the presidency. With full immunity too.

Get out the fuckin vote, folks!!

And I hope until then that Dems keep shouting every day about what a far-right loon this asshole is (and what Tromp is too, of course). Fuck this “You’re being violent by telling the truth about us, waaah!” nonsense.

23 Likes

Trump is assessing his VP contenders' hair quality July 14, 2024 - Harry Shearer

9 Likes

Vance was also quick to blame Biden for Trump getting his ear pierced, which probably endeared him to Trump.

10 Likes

I hate that man so much.

11 Likes

More than a few internetz quip versions of, trump: “beardo is 'ssasination protection, if they off me, they know they end up with him.”

-sigh-

5 Likes

/s for those unfamiliar with the Pitchbot.

18 Likes

Why vance? He doesn’t bring any new voters to the table. Anyone who wants Vance already wants Trump. The hair thing is funny- but that can’t be why. I can see the height thing being a requirement, Trump is so sensitive about his height, but there were probably plenty of other possibilities who were shorter than Trump

19 Likes

Sad Baby GIF

12 Likes

JD Vance, an Ohio senator widely tipped to be named as Trump’s running mate at this week’s convention, posted on X: “Today is not just some isolated incident. The central premise of the Biden campaign is that President Donald Trump is an authoritarian fascist who must be stopped at all costs. That rhetoric led directly to President Trump’s attempted assassination.”

12 Likes

I DO get a certain Rudolf Hess vibe from Herr Vance so your statement isn’t far-fetched.

Jokes aside - there doesn’t seem to be any decent people in contention here - only shit and shittier.

9 Likes

The full quote from Vance raises even more questions:

“I go back and forth between thinking Trump is a cynical asshole like Nixon who wouldn’t be that bad (and might even prove useful) or that he’s America’s Hitler,”

So, here are my questions:

1. Does he really think Nixon was just a cynical asshole. Because if Nixon hadn’t resigned, he was going to be impeached and found guilty, and last I checked, being a cynical asshole did not qualify as high crimes and misdemeanors.
  2. Does he think Nixon was a useful idiot who didn’t have any agency in his own policy decisions? Because it sounds like he’s implying that.
  3. So did he decided Trump was a cynical asshole/useful idiot who can be controlled, or did he decide he was America’s Hitler. Either way, is he arguing either one of those is a good thing?
20 Likes